Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much per month would you need to survive there?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Is Australia/NZ really the most Backpacker friendly place & how much per month would you reasonably need to survive there if you were just hostelling around? Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 layla_09

Depends on the person! Will you be buying your food in the supermarket, eating out in resteraunts or availing of the backpacker meal deals? will you be doing lots of excursions each week? Will you be drinking a couple of times a week? Do you smoke?!

A hostel (dorm share) is roughly $20-25 pn (around €12-15)

You could get a weekly shop in the supermarket and cook your own food each day in teh hostel for around $50-70 pw

Excursions vary greatly, most 2-3 day ones are a few hundred bucks

Backpacker bars and hostels do deals on alcohol you can get jugs of beer for around $7-10, there are always loads of competitions which will get you free booze etc

Personally for me I spent around 500 dollars pw when backpacking, that included my accom and also I smoke so that took about 100 bucks out of it

When i was settled in Sydney, working and paying rent I prob spent $1000 pw, I didnt hold back one bit!

Advertisement