Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shiny glossy hair

• 22-07-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to translate 'shiny glossy hair'.

I have turned up lots of words that mean glossy and shiny: to name a few:

-donn snasta: glossy brown
    -lonrach: shiny
    -niamhrach: lustrous and resplendent (there's a flower named with this term)
    -gléineach
    -taitneamhach

now I need words that mean shiny and glossy to do with hair but I don't want to say go with 'snasta' for example and then find it means glossed as in buffed up/polished.. it's the natural gloss in hair that I need an Irish word to match, and the natural shine. I think taitneamhach means shining as in sun and not hair?

So how would I say shiny glossy hair?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

lonrach is usually translated as a ray - often with ''grian'' attached near it

so that would be a natural shine

then just use ''an'' or some other small description word to double up the meaning as shiny/glossy are essentially the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Gruaig sholasta lonnrach, I would say. The caighdeán would have 'sholasmhar'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Yeah that sounds nice. Thanks for that.

A Choncubhair- I see what you mean about saying an- or fíor- or some-such to emphasize something, and I do that a good lot, as it's easier to take on but one thing I'm learning is that Irish loves adjectives.. for example Brian Merriman's 'Cúirt an Mheán Oíche'. There are 5/6 adjectives in a row to describe the mansion for example :)

it does but you wud wanna make sure they all match up and are right

i wouldnt be trying to write like merriman just yet :D

I amn't either and never will be :) but it was useful to cite an example a know? It's a huge part of rich Irish. Not just in literary Irish, but in colloquial Irish too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What's the irish for "greasy"?!!

Ah I know I was just saying, be careful with using multiple words like that.

They are a bi.. to get right and can sometimes sound weird when used in certain situations.

above poster ''olartha'' maybe, i am not sure - start a new thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Bealaithe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

snasta can be used with shoes (as in shiny shoes)- snas is polish:

bróga dubha snasta

• Advertisement

Came across 'gruaig ghréisceach' in a book today.

Advertisement