Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there so many rules?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I've had a couple of my discussions closed for whatever given reasons. One was closed because it was done to death or whatever, but I'm new and therefore it was new to me.

I'm sick of it. You can't do anything amidst this red tape. Is this a company or club or something? If its a business its the least friendly and progressive business I've encountered. If its a club do, why do you take it so seriously?

Granted protecting people is necessary, so mods are needed but rules about frivolous conversation being too frivolous? Who cares, and who can judge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That's a series of questions with a very long answer.

Here's a shortish one:

I'm a big fan of one single rule: don't be a dick.

But because that probably gives moderators too much leeway and gives people no boundaries at all, there are "so many" rules (as in more than one).

Lots of the particular rules in forum charters are there because specific people kept on acting the dick. So rules came about over time. On forums where I moderate, I often think of each rule with a mental nickname of the person who caused it.

Boards is really run as a collection of communities. Those communities have built up over time and like all communities, they've selected a system of rules for how those communities are run. Some communities allow polls, some don't (and there are reasons why those that don't, don't). Some communities allow a bit of light-hearted banter, some communities allow all-out flaming, some communities are restricted to specific topics (like Maths or Airsoft or The Mighty Boosh). For most of those, it's pretty obvious what they're about from the name. The forums are run for the enjoyment of the people that frequent them as much as possible and it's easy to become part of any of those communities - just start posting in a useful way and you're pretty much there.

To look at some of your closed threads, the Relationship issues doesn't allow polls as it's a forum intended for those that want to talk about relationship issues (not run a poll on whether people prefer their partners to drink or not), asking if anyone else has a hangover is a very short thread with precious little discussion and asking why moderators close threads or how to delete your account are two questions that go on this forum, not on After hours. I think that covers all the threads you've started which went on to be closed. Thing is, the "don't be a dick" rule wouldn't really cover that stuff and that's another reason why we've got more than one rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Well, I haven't once considered myself to be a dick on any of the forums so if your suggesting that golden rule applies to me, it doesn't.

And in fact, the only reason I don't use my real name is not out of lack of integrity but rather that I'd prefer to talk about specific issues that require anonymity.

I have yet to find the forum that specifically allows to banter light-heartedly, as that would be my preference. I take it somewhat personally when things that clearly I find interesting (otherwise I wouldn't have posted) are deemed uninteresting by someone else.

Fine, you don't allow polls in relationship issues, I was unaware of that. But I believe that whether or not your partner drinks is a relationship issue.

No, I wouldn't have said the "don't be a dick" rule applied at all. I mention it because if you post on that basis (and you probably do anyway), you're generally fine 99% of the time so it's a cheap way of keeping on the right side of the rules. it's worth noting that you don't have any issued warnings or infractions or anything like that. Not that you've deserved any but despite a few threads locked by the mods, they've not thought that you're a bad egg or anything like that (just something to note).

With regard to the banter, After Hours tends to allow quite a bit of reasonable banter. There's no black and white rule but you can see from having a look at the existing posts what flies and what doesn't. The site-support threads don't wash there though. But it's quite a bantery forum when that suits people. the mods are pretty approachable too and while I'm not suggesting you use them as post support, if you're in doubt about whether something you're thinking of posting goes over the line, they're pretty cool about answering questions like that by PM as long as too many people don't do it (though like the rest of us, they're doing that they're doing in their spare time so there's no guarantee of a response to a query like that)

And the Thunderdome allows pretty heavy "banter" but the charter there is a must-read.

It's worth having a look around. As for whether your partner drinks or not, of course that can be a relationship issue (well, specifically on how it's an issue for you if yours does or doesn't - if it's just a "hey, what do you all think about when people's partners do" it's probably After Hours - start it in RI if it's an issue with your relationship)

All you're currently undergoing is the adjustment factor. To be honest we could make that better and easier on new people and obviously we're continually looking at ways to make that possible (honestly, this is a big issue for us). I really wouldn't be too annoyed about a few threads being locked, though I think I can understand your annoyance.

Incidentally given that you mentioned your reasons for not using your real name (not that it's important in any way), I don't use my real name because no-one else did when I started using the Internet. And my fellow admin Seamus took my name, the scamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Social Forums allow light banter (usually in chat threads).
    Most social forums on boards have a certain theme or feel to them, or a certain type of person that browses.

Here are some forums you might like to explore.

Beer Guts & Receding Hairlines
    A forum thats very lighthearted and friendly, and pokes fun and sends itself up alot.

The Cuckoos Nest
    The asylum of Boards.ie. The users like all things crazy and cooky.
    Alot of the time if a thread is posted thats a bit "crazy", it will get moved there and the cuckoos get to play with it.

Clearasil and Hormones

A social forum aimed specifically at younger posters, they cover alot of age related issues in there.

The Nocturnal Forum
    A sort of mix of BGRH and Cuckoos, this forum is the meeting ground for users that work night shifts,have insomnia etc. Like BGRH, they like to send themselves up and joke about light Horror type themes. Anything nightime related can end up there.

The Ladies Lounge
    A forum that caters specifically towards female users, but has male regulars also. It covers many things from serious discussions to light chats.

There are lots of forums on boards that have "Off Topic" (OT) threads just for chat, even if they are aimed at one thing (region, hobby etc)

Having a browse around, reading how people interact and post, and reading the Charter/Rules for the forums will help and make it easier to find a place for you.

On Boards, its easy to find a place that caters to you.

:)

Cheers Nerin, that should help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Thanks Sceptre et al for the helpful reply.

I agree with you that I am in some sort of adjustment stage.

I have no interest in pissing off anyone- to do so under anonymity screams lack of character, so as I am in real life, I am here.

I understand your work is voluntary. However, your reply was very professional, so keep up the good work.

Rgrds,

ZN

Advertisement