Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first for C&C

• 22-07-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all

Been browsing for a while here thought i'd put this one up for your C&C

3745986583_df480bf7a6.jpg?v=0

thanks

Anthony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anthony,If you go to the size you want(less than 800 pixels for the photography forum)and right click on the image and click "Copy image location" then click the insertimage.gif button and paste the url in there,Click OK and it should work

or you can do it manually by right clicking the image and copying the image location and then pasting it here and adding to the start and to the end it'll look like this:
    [HTML]3745986583_bc4911cc6b_o.jpg[/HTML]

Your end result should be this

3745986583_bc4911cc6b_o.jpg

As for the photo,I like it,But would rather it was a long exposure as the water would look so much nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

Sorted

Thanks for the comment, i'm still really new to Photography and still getting to grips with the Camera so to be honest i shot that on auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I like it, it's a great scene, could be a touch brighter for me that's a lovely shot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I also like it. I agree with Ricky about playing about with the length of your exposure... it also might benefit from a little straightening (though that might be my eyes!). It's a nice capture and I like the scene and the lighting... and it's streets better than my first post *s.

I'm quite new too and one great way of learning is by posting here and seeing what others think. It's amazing the number of times I take a pic I think is great and others are lukewarm on it, likewise I've taken a few that I think are alright at best and others really like them. In here I've gotten some great tips on how I could improve various photos I've posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I think the composition is pretty nice. I often find that a poorly- or carelessly-composed photo annoys me more than a badly exposed one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments

dreamer_ire I did straightening it up a bit, i think the top of river is making it look a bit wonky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

It definitely isn't straight from what I am seeing :confused:

To be honest this scene doesn't do anything for me. A decent first attempt but could benefit from getting lower to the ground to create some sort foreground interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I like it would agree with having a long exposure though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I like it and agree re straightening it and longer exposure for the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Well done on a first post for C&C - its always nice to see brave souls get involved :)

Later, i'll post some of my thoughts on it.

But in the meantime can I ask you to be self critical of it for a moment. Don't worry - i'm not trying to catch you out, i'm just curious as to how you personally interpret the image and what you've created. If you personally think it is fantastic and wouldn't change a thing then thats ok too.

• Advertisement

Overall im verry happy with it although i do agree with the longer exposure comments, I would of liked to have done this but to be honest as i said before i'm still getting to grips with the camera and its settings and was unsure of what to do.

Its great to get some feedback though as i'm sure its going to me out in the future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it's good for a first attempt on auto.

OP, time for you to jump right in to the deep end. Read your camera's manual and learn what everything does. Read ''Understanding Exposure'' by Bryan Peterson. Obviously, the most important thing when it comes to photography is getting the right exposure, but what's equally important is how you go about getting the right exposure. This book is a must have for any newbie imo.

A longer exposure would have been nice, but not always possible to get the desired effect without an ND (neutral density) Filter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First edition or first link?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Thanks for responding earlier in thread. Ok, i said i'd post some more on this so here goes - note: personal thoughts only - take that as being the sanity warning ;)

Mother nature has given a nice enough scene to work with here but IMO not a spectacular scene. You've done a good job on the basic compositional elements of capturing the scene - foreground / middle / and background are all quite defined. Foreground could have been a bit stronger perhaps if the scene allowed.

As captured its fine - no major issues. I'm not reviewing on a colour corrected monitor but the resulting image is quite presentable and would look fine enlarged.

The green-ness of the scene gives a nice serene kinda chill vibe to it. That's pleasant.

In Auto mode your camera equipment did a reasonable job of metering the scene, choosing an appropriate shutter speed and aperture.

The problem i'm having with the image is that while it's nice, it doesn't particularly grab me. If you do a search on flickr you'll find lots of this type of scene and scores of images just like it. That doesn't mean that it is a bad image but I think given the scene you have to stretch the imagination to get something that is more creative.

Don't take this the wrong way but a thousand people standing in the same place with the camera on auto would have ended up with an identical shot. The question to bring you forward in your abilities is to ask yourself what in the scene is you. Again, i'm not being overly critical - just making an observation for you to consider and yes, quite often i'll ask myself the same thing :) Having said all of that, if you simply *wanted* to capture the scene as is in the end result here then you've done mighty fine.

So here's what i'd suggest (again sanity check, only my personal opinion - i wasn't there so don't know exactly how workable any of this will be);

I think having taken that particular image I would have begun to explore the scene. From a compositional perspective there are a number of things that you could do / try to see if it works;

the longer exposure has been mentioned and it produces wonder on the water - use a tripod / beanbag / mount to ensure stability. Also a ND filter will be very useful to allow you do longer exposures in daylight.

Is there an opportunity for a stronger more creative use of depth of field, selecting a focus point and narrowing the area of focus. Perhaps there was something interesting on one of the rocks that you could have isolated and had foreground / background in a nice bokeh.

the position that you shot from is fine for the scene you captured, but are there more creative positions lower towards the ground that may have given you a more interesting composition.

You could have altered your position to differing locations in the scene and again experimented with your available depth of field.

The water falling over the rocks could have given an opportunity to shoot the macro of that aspect of the scene and possibly some nice results (that is if you are into photographing the minute)

Is there an opportunity within the scene to subdivide the composition with a portrait orientation of a shoot.

If setting out with a purpose to capture this location you might choose your time of day / environmental conditions a bit better - early morning or late evening is a standard formula which will work. Check out kjt's beach image in the random thread of recent days. It's stunning. A significant difference is that he got out of bet at 3:30am to be there for the sun getting up. There's not a thousand people that would have done that for the particular shot. It shows in the end product - you can't miss it, it's the one with a zillion thanks after it ;)

Overall what you've presented isn't bad at all. In particular and given that your camera was doing the 'auto' thing, what you did in framing/croping the scene is quite plesant.

The above are just suggestions for things to try when you are off again. Take the camera out of auto - make mistakes and learn from them. Shoot loads with lots of different settings. Learn from the experience.

hope that helps.

Advertisement