Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped for Parking in Parent & Infant Space or was he?

• 22-07-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

There I was in Galway today at shopping centre X. I wont name them for fear there is going to be a court case.

I was there personally so I do not need to provide a link to the story.

Anyway, I come out to find this guy on the phone complaining to somebody and notice he is standing next to his clamped car.

He was parked in Parent & Child parking spot outside the place. He comes off the phone and spots me.

"Hey you, what does that sign say?"
    I say, "Parent & Infant"
    Back on phone "You hear that, yeah it better be 5 minutes"

He tells me the whole story of being clamped whilst clamper turns up. I know whats going on at this stage so I was damned If I was leaving. This was going to be funny.

Clamper arrives(4 letter acroynm company) and proceeds to tell the guy he wants €110 to unclamp the car. The guy is not paying saying he is entitled to park their as in the back seat in the child seat is the Infant and he is the parent. = Parent & Infant Parking.

OH NO says the clamper. Please come over here and see this and points under neath the car to where the paint over the space is. Im standing right there listening to this and looking as well.

The picture is of a stick woman and stick child. The clamper proceeds to tell the man the parking space is for women and children/infants only and not a man with infant/child and said he saw the man parking so clamped him.

Seriously WTF. The guy proceeded to argue then shout and scream to where I left at this point.

Can you seriously believe these companies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Pay fine and court case for discrimination would be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Parker was totally in the right, they are parent and child, not mother and child. Blatant sexual discrimination. I park in those spaces all the time (with my child) and god help any ignorant clamper who tries to clamp me.
    I expect to see it on joe duffy/gerry ryan/indo tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pay fine and court case for discrimination would be my choice.

Why do they have to pay the fine? Simply by telling them that it's mother and child parking that's discrimination.

OP, I hope you gave the person your contact details for when they sue the clampers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why do they have to pay the fine? Simply by telling them that it's mother and child parking that's discrimination.

If you do pay would you not hand over your right to appeal by agreeing to have been parked illegaly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Should have just removed the clamp himself. It's simple really ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭EasyFold

I guess that clamper finds it difficult to admit a mistake but apart from that if he can't think further than a dress and a drawing on the floor the I rest my case :D

Come on tell us where this happened :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Maybe this is a stupid question but, I couldn't see in the OP if the guy parked there actually had a child or just had a child seat in the back? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

If I was that guy and it was the case, I wouldnt have bothered past the 110 euro, clampers are sneaky feckers and arent gonna give up there booty that easily.

Instead I would have gone into the supermarket, demanded to see the manager, tell him the situation, and then tell him if my car wasnt unclamped immediately you`d be off to to the local paper or radio station, and the off to your lawyer. I would imagine they would be desperate to avoid stupid press anyway, and let you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

high horse wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question but, I couldn't see in the OP if the guy parked there actually had a child or just had a child seat in the back? :confused:
    Berty wrote: »
    Clamper arrives(4 letter acroynm company) and proceeds to tell the guy he wants €110 to unclamp the car. The guy is not paying saying he is entitled to park their as in the back seat in the child seat is the Infant and he is the parent. = Parent & Infant Parking.

It seems like he had the kid with him!

By the clamper's logic - if a fella turned up with a kid, he'd be allowed park in the space so long as he was wearing a dress and had long hair? :)

The driver seems to have been completely in the right, I'd say the clamper realised it too but was too stubborn to back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Angle_Grinder.jpg

For about 50 quid, this "park anywhere" permit could be yours. You need not worry about those pesky clampers again. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

It seems like he had the kid with him!

D'oh! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

For about 50 quid, this "park anywhere" permit could be yours. You need not worry about those pesky clampers again. ;)

This is the ultimate parking solution, no plug needed!:D

dpc6410.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

This is class! Keep us updated Berty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭siobhank

how did the clamper know the driver was a man and not a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Shoulda called the guards.

unauthorised Interference with the mechanism of a motor vehicle, sec 113 road traffic act 1961.

Since he was were illegally clamped the clmaper would have been fecked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

siobhank wrote: »

Re-read the OP's post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

The clamper proceeds to tell the man the parking space is for women and children/infants only and not a man with infant/child and said he saw the man parking so clamped him.

I think you can tell the difference for most people by looking at them. Could be wrong of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I distinctly remember him lifting up the guys leg to see was it an inny or an outy! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I actually would of attacked the clamper - brain dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

probably gave the person a good shake, then nothing wobbled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭siobhank

oh right, because I didn't understand how the clamper clamped the car with the guy standing there?! I would have attacked him too!

obviously this is discrimination though and a good one for Joe Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Is there an actual law covering the provision of parent and child spaces? I know there's one for disabled spaces and you need a sticker/permit to use them, but the parent and child ones are open to some "interpretation" as we've seen from the OP. What defines a child? Do you need to carry their birth certs in the case where a child who may look big for their age, still needs a pushchair etc?

I park in parent&child spots all the time if the car park is quiet (awaits angry mob with picthforks) but if I thought it would be treated like a disabled spot, ie with fixed fines, clamps, towing, then I wouldn't (wouldn't park in a disbaled spot on principle anyhow)...
    Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

and people wonder why there is a hatred for clampers....

Seriously though, supposing he was in a real rush or something happen at home. The company should be sued along with the supermarket for allowing suc a practice on their property. Ultimately the owner of the property is responsible for the clampers.
    Gob Sh1tes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

the clamper saw him park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

blossom180 wrote: »
    the clamper saw him park

I got the impression that the question was meant to enquire as to whether a physical examination had taken place, or whether a masculine woman also ran the risk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you do pay would you not hand over your right to appeal by agreeing to have been parked illegaly?
    By paying I'd have a receipt and proof I was illegally clamped and detained.

By paying I'd have a receipt and proof I was illegally clamped and detained.

I would think this is the case

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

actually this reminds me of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

How the hell can it depict a stick woman? Is there boobs on it? Stick heels?

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Is there an actual law covering the provision of parent and child spaces? I know there's one for disabled spaces and you need a sticker/permit to use them, but the parent and child ones are open to some "interpretation" as we've seen from the OP. What defines a child? Do you need to carry their birth certs in the case where a child who may look big for their age, still needs a pushchair etc?

I park in parent&child spots all the time if the car park is quiet (awaits angry mob with picthforks) but if I thought it would be treated like a disabled spot, ie with fixed fines, clamps, towing, then I wouldn't (wouldn't park in a disbaled spot on principle anyhow)...
    Anyone know?

I often park them as well especially if I have my grandmother in the car. I always thought it was really just a normal space with no law governing them.

If I had a child or had my grandmother with me and I was clamped it would be the auld lad id ring(not the clampers) to bring me in the con saw and id make bits of it regardless of the consequences. Talk about blatant discrimination. It makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

seclachi wrote: »
    If I was that guy and it was the case, I wouldnt have bothered past the 110 euro, clampers are sneaky feckers and arent gonna give up there booty that easily.

Instead I would have gone into the supermarket, demanded to see the manager, tell him the situation, and then tell him if my car wasnt unclamped immediately you`d be off to to the local paper or radio station, and the off to your lawyer. I would imagine they would be desperate to avoid stupid press anyway, and let you off.
    +1, the supermarket employ the clampers. Great story BTW, the red tops would love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As this is on private property, doesn't it still fit into the "they must release your car without you having to pay a fine" category as they can't detain your property legally and must let you have it if requested. I read here before that this applies to all private property parking scenarios, even if you do park in a disabled bay at a supermarket say.

I didn't post this in the main forum for fear of repercussions but that fear has now passed after a ridiculous phonecall today and I am mighty proud of my achievement :pac:

Parked outside my job on Monday in a spot we regularly use but because of Real Madrid playing Rovers clamper company decided to make a few quid and clamp me and a lot of others in the area which is normally fine.

The sign on the wall says €100 so I grumble home to get money and go back. Clamper man turns up and is demanding €120 because that's what his laptop was telling him I owed. So I told him to F-off

It was one of those poxy chain clamps, not the ones the councils use, and the prick had it around the wishbone.

I could access my wheel nuts so I took the wheel off and dropped the wishbone off the hub and viola, clamp wasn't attached to the car anymore.

Total of about 15 mins work

So I phone them back and said I wanted my car declamped, he asked if I was going to pay the money this time and I said yes. So I parked elsewhere and waited with the clamp, different guy turns up, I told him it wasn't attached to the car properly, he spent ages inspecting it, threw it in the van and drove off and didn't engage in any conversation with me.

So instead of getting €100 of my hard earned the fookers got nothing, and it wasn't the €20, it could have been 2cent it was the principal of it and the guys attitude stank even though I was polite to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

The person clamped should sue the clampers, hopefully discourage them from doing this in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

onkle,
    your my hero!

• Advertisement

cashmni1 wrote: »
    onkle,
    your my hero!

You made me blush.... do that again and you're banned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hmm...

I think it would have went

Baby in front seat, story book out, turn key, engine on, knee on horn.

Until the Gardai turned up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Angle_Grinder.jpg

No good without this. :)

generator_jd3000_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I bet there absolutely NO legality behind Parent & Child spaces. It's nothing like a Disabled Space, which actually is mentioned in the rules of the road handbook.

Clampers can chew on that. People making up rules and laws thinking it will stand.

Also, infact as I think of it, is it even legal to obey by the rules of the road while on a private property, because it is private and not in a public place.

Am i entitled to put a yellow box in my driveway or in my garage yard, and anyone parking there can be clamped??

Discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I bet there absolutely NO legality behind Parent & Child spaces. It's nothing like a Disabled Space, which actually is mentioned in the rules of the road handbook.
    Rules of the Road isn't actually law. It's more of a set of guidelines. Some have legal standing, some do not.

As a parent with young children tho, it does annoy me when people with no children park in the parent & child spaces, especially when the weather is bad. Not what happened in this case tho.

In this case the clamped guy could have argued that he's a cross-dresser on weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Jumpy wrote: »
    Quite clearly its Scottish man in a kilt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Had a standoff with a clamper yesterday. I parked at a hotel... Clamper observes. I get out. The clamper gets out. I walk a bit, the clamper approaches with clamp in hand. I stop turn around and walk back, the clamper stops and turn around. I stand at the car until the clamper gets in his van. I walk away again - the clamper gets out and walks tword my car again. I stop turn around and walk back, clamper stops and walks back to his van again.

I get in the car and drive tword the clampers van. I thank him for dancing - he tells me to eff off. I tell him hes the sorryest specimin of a man I have ever came across in my entire life - laugh and bid him adieu...!

Not a great job in fairness. Some clampers would be sensible enough but most would be on a power trip..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Deffo a case for diecrimination. Would have taken the clampers details, ie his name his bosses name and given these to my solicitor. Would ahev paid the fee and gotten it back ten fold from a court.

The other thing about this thread is the amount of people who say the park in the P&C spots even if they have no kids with them. Thsi annoys the f**k out of me, The spots are wider than normal parking spaces to allow parents room to get the kids into the back of the car. This will also stop other peoples cars getting door dings. I use P&C parking spots regulary and have seen all types of stupid parking, people parking at an angle marking it near impossible to get the kids in. 1 time I was parked in a end P&C space only to come out of the shopping centre to find some gimp have parked in the hatched area beside me right beside the passanger side of the car. The was also a car parked closey to the drivers side. Since the child was still in the Rock-A-Tot this made getting the Baby into the car impossible. I had to get my wife to stand in the p1ssing rain while I reversed back, blocked traffic while I put the child back into the car. The owner of the other car did come out and the amount of abuse I gave her was unreal.

So please unless you have a child in the car the needs to be in a child seat or booster seat, do not park in the P&C spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Had a standoff with a clamper yesterday. I parked at a hotel... Clamper observes. I get out. The clamper gets out. I walk a bit, the clamper approaches with clamp in hand. I stop turn around and walk back, the clamper stops and turn around. I stand at the car until the clamper gets in his van. I walk away again - the clamper gets out and walks tword my car again. I stop turn around and walk back, clamper stops and walks back to his van again.

I get in the car and drive tword the clampers van. I thank him for dancing - he tells me to eff off. I tell him hes the sorryest specimin of a man I have ever came across in my entire life - laugh and bid him adieu...!

Not a great job in fairness. Some clampers would be sensible enough but most would be on a power trip..

i assume you were parked perfectly legally?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

On principle people shouldn't use them without a child, but they are not legally controlled.

By the way....paying the fine could go against you in court. By paying your agreeing to contract and admiting liability. Although a defence could be blackmail/extortion (pay the fine or else your not getting your car back!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

He shouldn't pay the FINE thats a blatant case off discrimination and would wave away his right to SUE!!!

They really are some bastards in this world but im a great believer in Karma and he will get his and so will all the people who park in disabled spaces and parent child spaces!!

PS my girlfriend parks in them:mad::mad: she already got her bad karma ITs ME:p:p:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it possible the clamper is just stupid and took it literally when someone told him it was a mother and child space? There are plenty of people who lack a lot of common sense and will follow instructions to the letter regardless whether they are stupid (the instructions) or contradictory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

There is no debate here, the sign means 'Parent and child', not 'mother and child' so the clamper was in the wrong (provided of course there was in fact a child involved). If a case develops we know who will win.

I was once waiting for my misses outside Clanwilliam court and there was 4 car park spaces empty, clamper parks across the road and walks calmly over with clamp in hand as I had no ticket. I dont think he seen me in car till last second and came over to window. I told him my gf would be out in 5 minutes and I was not paying for ticket, he said he could not allow this and suggested I drive around the block.

I told him there was no other spaces being used and asked what the big deal was, my gf literally comes out at the same time everyday and maxmimum I wait ever is 15 minutes in car and NEVER have I seen the spots benig used. He tells me this makes no odds as I was parked illegally (which he was right of course). I refused to move and he then said 'right I warned you' and proceeded to try to clamp me.

What followed was 2 minutes of me driving forward and backwards in the 4 spots until my gf came out early (I rang her on mobile to explain what was happening) and by that stage a small crowd had gathered to watch some idiot in a car driving backwards and forwards and an even bigger idiot waiting for that split second I stopped. The only tricky bit was when my bemused gf refused to run into the car so I had to beg her to get in whilst trying not to laugh too much, she eventually did and we drove off to a mini round of applause.

All things considered although I loved doing it at the time but I would just drive around the block next time as I was afraid of knocking said clamper over which would not have been funny at all, but at time it felt good putting one over on him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

Private car parks aren't legally controlled.
    They have no authority to levy a fine unless they have had a specific bye law passed.
    Only government bodies can levy fines.

He should have called the Gards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Jumpy wrote: »

They seem to have managed it on the signs for Public Toilets anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement