Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped for Parking in Parent & Infant Space or was he?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

P.C. wrote: »

My father had a old 240D Mercedes before he got his 300D - that old 240D was huge. We could not beleive how 'small' the 300D was.

In hindsight, that 1981 300D Mercedes was huge.

Luxobarge's have got smaller, thats true... mainly because you're expected to be both driving and parking them yourself these days, rather than a chaffeur and valet parking!

Normal cars have bloated; although most manufacturers keep bringing in a new smaller model as a car gets too fat for its size class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

siobhank wrote: »
    Nope, I didn't, you obviously didn't read the thread before getting yourself banned for idiotic comments.

sorry i should not have said hate.i believe this is what you said
    "I think that personally I do have little patience with fat people but this really annoyed me."

all because a girl was overweight. im pretty sure this is discrimination my dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

The way I understajd discrimination is that it occurs when there is nothing the person can do can change it, sex, sexual orientation, height, race so on and so forth, weight is something that can be altered so imo (and I know people wont agree) saying you don't like fat people is not discrimination.

With regards to the OP this is prob the funniest post I have ever seen.

I wonder would the same clamper clamp thos idiots that take up two parking spaces or those that park at a ridiculous angle in the bay so that you might not be able to fit in.

It amazes me how many people can't park in a aprking bay. I can park a long wheel merc sprinter in any parking bay perfectly and not infringe on anyone elses usage of their spaces. People need to learn how to park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Berty wrote: »
    There I was in Galway today at shopping centre X. I wont name them for fear there is going to be a court case.............. The guy proceeded to argue then shout and scream to where I left at this point.

Can you seriously believe these companies?

You have got to be kidding...........you LEFT ??? I'd have taken a day off work to see that one !

Oh someone please tell me how this ended.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Robertr wrote: »
    I actually saw a woman crossing the road under these lights the other day. What is the world coming to.

22135-tn.jpg

Now if only drivers wouldn't rev their cars and speed off as soon as the light switches to amber....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

bungler wrote: »
    sorry i should not have said hate.i believe this is what you said
    "I think that personally I do have little patience with fat people but this really annoyed me."

all because a girl was overweight. im pretty sure this is discrimination my dear

Leave your vendetta at the door. Infracted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Now if only drivers wouldn't rev their cars and speed off as soon as the light switches to green....

Post automatically localized for you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

fischer wrote: »
    Are you sure its not legal to stop in a pay and display space without paying, provided the vehicle is occupied? I've always thought this was okay but I've no idea why I would have decided this!

Probably just something I made up to suit myself one day....

Fischer.

Well I was told it was alright by a Parking Warden in Dun Laoghaire a couple of weeks back. His own words - "If you 're in the car you don't have to pay."

I also thought that a clamper can't actually clamp your car if you're in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

P.C. wrote: »
    In 1981 my father bought a new Mercedes 300D - it had seatbelts in the back, I know because he made us use them. :o

Oh, and I was put in a child seat when I was a child, and I am a lot older than 20 years old.

My father had a old 240D Mercedes before he got his 300D - that old 240D was huge. We could not beleive how 'small' the 300D was.

In hindsight, that 1981 300D Mercedes was huge.

Snob!!! ;) Not many people in 1981 had Merc's. Ireland was just comming out of a recession. Most car my Dad had were Fiats, 1970s - 1980s. None of these had rear belts, just poxy plastic seats that meant we slide left or right depending on what way he was turning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

No, no they can't.
    No one can do as they wish, even if they own the land.
    The only people who can impose time restrictions, speed limits and fees are government bodies. Private companies and private individuals have no right to do any of these things. If a private entity is unhappy with your behaviour on their property they can ask you to leave, they can ask the police to remove you, they cannot themselves impose any fine or penalty. That is why we have a legal system in this country.

When a private company clamps your car they are (usually) unlawfully detaining your property. When they issue you with a "fine" it's not a fine, it's an invoice, and an invoice for a service you didn't request and for which there is no agreement to pay and there is no contract in place. It is not enforcable in any shape or form. They have as much power as security guards at the shopping centre compared to the Guards.

AFAIK in Scotland clamping on private land was banned as it was considered extortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Sure don't they give you a ticket anyways?
    By paying I'd have a receipt and proof I was illegally clamped and detained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

but my point is that he should have seen that I was literally only waiting for my gf and would be out within minutes, which is what angered me in the first place. Even if a few of the spaces had of been taken I would have moved, but the fact al of the spaces were not being used I found very jobs-worthy.
    But parking without a ticket, is parking without a ticket, irrespective of how may other free spaces there are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wait till you hear this?

I was parked in Killarney outlet centre metered parking today and bought a 3 hour ticket. After 40 minutes I was called away to do something else but had a little time. I was sitting in my car when a car parked pulled in next to me. I said

"Here this ticket is good till 16:35."
    "Thank you very much"

I handed over the ticket and he and his family went about their business.

Parking attendant comes over to the line of cars checking tickets and come up to my car and says

"You need to buy a ticket"
    "I did buy a ticket"
    "Where is it?"
    "There in the red focus"
    "What are you on about, where is your ticket?"
    "That is my ticket, I bought it and you can check the security footage"
    "Did you give it away?"
    "Yes but the sign says PAY AND DISPLAY and I have paid and displayed"
    Long Pause..................

"When are you leaving?"
    "Dunno, 2 minutes or so when I finish this paperwork"

"Fine so" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Snob!!! ;) Not many people in 1981 had Merc's. Ireland was just comming out of a recession. Most car my Dad had were Fiats, 1970s - 1980s. None of these had rear belts, just poxy plastic seats that meant we slide left or right depending on what way he was turning..

Could be just my youthful ignorance here but I don't think Ireland as anywhere near coming out a recesion in 1981...

Advertisement