Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howling Ridge with guide

Options
  • 22-07-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am looking for an experienced climber to share the cost for a guided climb of Howling Ridge on the 6th or 7th of August.

If interested contact me on alonghena@hotmail.com and I will send details.

Comments

Not for me.

Not enough experience.

But as a matter of curiosity, are ropes necessary for Howling Ridge. Always thought they were, but in this pic...

http://www.jpogorman.com/mountaineering/carrauntoohil.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

....some sections are VERY exposed, I personally wouldn't go without protection!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would howling ridge be considered a reasonably high grade climb? or is it more of a scramble?

I'm guessing theres routes harder than others, apparently soe peope have taken 8 hours to do i, while someone else did it in 20 minutes!

it's a mixed climb, it alternates easy sections with VS grades. I guess if you were very good you could do it in 20 min, without protection; the first time it took me 4hrs, this time I plan on going up at a quicker pace, hence why I am looking for an experienced climber.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

I found it to be more like a scramble. However I did use ropes as it was my first time. There are some exposed areas but nothing technical at all. Was quite busy when I went up. Seems to be getting more and more popular.

To the op: Would you not be better building some experience, maybe join a club and try self sufficiently next time? More enjoyabe that way.. Dan Bailey's book gives a great description

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/539/title/ridges-of-england--wales-and-ireland

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    soe peope have taken 8 hours to do i, while someone else did it in 20 minutes!

Beign a bit of a rock hugger at altitude, pretty sure I'd be nearer the 8 hours...
    Tells wrote: »
    Dan Bailey's book

Sounds like a great book. What ridges does it give for Ireland, as a matter of curiosity? Love the things myself, even if not up to Howling Ridge standard yet. You can't beat the adrenaline rush of a scramble along a narrow ridge!

.....the guide will be able to approach the different pitches in the most technically possible way, there's always a chance to learn something new from a guide regardless of the route, it gives you a chance to go up in non-perfect weather conditions, I like building a rapport with the same guide when possible, if anything goes wrong you are with somebody experienced.....

..if you are a good climber and would like to try Howling Ridge, maybe for the first time, contact me....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds like a great book. What ridges does it give for Ireland, as a matter of curiosity? Love the things myself, even if not up to Howling Ridge standard yet. You can't beat the adrenaline rush of a scramble along a narrow ridge!

Amen to that! :D

I would be interested to know what routes it mentions too, it ays connemara and kerry. Glencoaghan horseshoe?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

So the book gives descriptions on The MaGillycuddy's Reeks Ridge Traverse, Stumpa an tSaibh and the Beenkeragh Horseshoe, Howling Ridge, Faha Ridge (Brandon), East Ridge (Brandon), Carrot Ridge Bencorr (12 Bens) and finally the Mweelrea circuit.

Advertisement