Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

does anyone actually enjoy smoking?

• 22-07-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Cos I really do. I love the act of rolling myself my wee treat and find smoking very relaxing. I tried to quit this week, reading allen carrs book, where he says that everyone hates smoking, blablabla. tbh, i got off the bus today, threw the book in my bag and bought myself 50 delicious grams of drum tobacco, and now i'm pissed that i can't quit.

motivate me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Its actually quite enjoyable but ridiculously unhealthy. I'd imagine its knida like eating a deep-fried mars bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I love smoking except after a serious night out of drinking. Tastes horrible then.

One way to ease this is to smoke a few menthol cigarettes. They really do the world of good before smoking a normal cigarette.

There's a subliminal message in here somewhere.

Smoke Laramie's

There it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I read Allen Carrs books too, did you know he died of cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Surely the reason it's enjoyable is due to the fact that your addicted too it.

Didn't enjoy it myself when I was 12 so it never stuck.

http://namecriticscam.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/irony.jpg

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I love smoking. Hmmm tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Its actually quite enjoyable but ridiculously unhealthy. I'd imagine its knida like eating a deep-fried mars bar.

I tried one of them the last time I was in Glasgow, to my shame I enjoyed it :o

I enjoy smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Aren't you meant to be allowed to smoke while reading Allen Carr's book? He even says it himself. TBH, if you wanna quit, you wanna quit, and none of this "but I do GENUINELY like it". Ya don't, you're meerly addicted. I think this is the gist of the book, I know because both my parents gave up smoking a few years ago. My father wouldn't stop talking about Allen Carr and his books for like 6 months after! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Cos I really do. I love the act of rolling myself my wee treat and find smoking very relaxing. I tried to quit this week, reading allen carrs book, where he says that everyone hates smoking, blablabla. tbh, i got off the bus today, threw the book in my bag and bought myself 50 delicious grams of drum tobacco, and now i'm pissed that i can't quit.

motivate me!

how long have you been smoking?
    it's pleasurable when your relatively new to it or if your just an occasional puffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

That_Guy wrote: »
    Exactly, although he was off the cigs for 18 years I think, so it would make you wonder if it's worth trying to stop.
    On the other hand if he hadn't stopped he may have died a lot sooner.

Hard to know really.

His books have helped a lot of people to give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Every time you get the urge to smoke, rip out a page of the Alan Carr book, roll it up and try to smoke it- that will put you off and get rid of the book at the same time (2 birds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I gave up for about two months, found giving up and staying off them easy.

Since I proved to myself that I could quit without much problem, I started again. I love smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

I dislike it. Its annoying me. Especially as I am essentially burning 3000 euro a year. I was to quit after my thesis, then after my finals, and now I m working in a job where everyone smokes on breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I'm off them a week!! Go me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Sofaspud wrote: »

Since I proved to myself that I could quit without much problem, I started again. I love smoking.

This is exactly what I'm gonna do sometime!

Exactly, although he was off the cigs for 18 years I think, so it would make you wonder if it's worth trying to stop.
    On the other hand if he hadn't stopped he may have died a lot sooner.

Hard to know really.

His books have helped a lot of people to give up.

Might get some in the January sales for next years attempt.

This is exactly what I'm gonna do sometime!

jimmy, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Non-smoker here.

I once took 4mgs of nicotine gum. It had a very noticeable euphoric effect.

Granted this is higher than a normal smoked dose and that smokers would have a higher tolerance than me, but to say nicotine does nothing is wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I used enjoy smoking but all of a sudden they started made me feel horrible - pounding heart, twitching arms and legs.

So I quit them.
    No trouble whatsoever giving them up.
    I guess when they make you feel as I mentioend above it's easy to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mtldockers

have to admit i too love the odd smoke, i have given them up plenty of times in the past, up to a year cold turkey before but you'd miss them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I love every one of my 20+ a day habit they're great. Its a damn shame their bad for you but i don't think i'd enjoy it as much if they weren't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

First cigarette of the day magic....

but gave up 40 a day habit about 20 years back and still have the cough to this day. People I know say keep going and you'll bring up a piano.

.... and a drink still isn't the same without one. (no not a piano)

ttm wrote: »
    .... and a drink still isn't the same without one. (no not a piano)

tell that to chas and dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Uhhh, the spoiler tags are there for a reason Sharpy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

jayteecork wrote: »
    I used enjoy smoking but all of a sudden they started made me feel horrible - pounding heart, twitching arms and legs.

So I quit them.
    No trouble whatsoever giving them up.
    I guess when they make you feel as I mentioend above it's easy to stop.

Everyone I know who has given up smoking says they just didn't want to smoke any more and gave them up. Two aunties, my mam and two uncles all gave them up without any nicotine replacements or books. Only one aunty still misses them after ten years, she sometimes comes out with me when I got for a smoke to get the smell. My dad gave up 80+ a day over 20 years ago and has only once had a craving completely out of the blue, he said if I had been in the house he would have wrestled a smoke from me!!

I suppose each to their own, but I would imagine the best way to give up is when you really really want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hate it unless I'm drinking...so that's the only time I smoke (cigarettes)

You cant beat a nice smoke after dinner.....aaaahhhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I like em,
    It's a shame my lungs are like the inside of a coal sack..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I hate rollies. Goddamned recession smokes. Feckin' stupid crazy spending bollocko has backed himself into a rollie based spitty student smoke corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Sofaspud wrote: »

Same here, although I haven't started yet. Going on a wee holiday and I plan to buy a nice bag of drum for it. Smokings ****ing great

Im a little surprised there has been no fanatical anti-smoker comments yet, oh wait here they come :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm off them approaching... 2 years. I remember liking smoking but the thought revolts me now. I don't think you'll ever grasp just how foul the habit is till you give it up (and I mean give it up as opposed to stopping for a month or two thinking you're great till you go back on them again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i really enjoy it, if i havent got my bensons im a sad panda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Roll-ups...jesus the best antidote to smoking that's ever been invented.
    If soemone had given me a roll up when I was 13, I'd never have even started smoking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Smoking kicks ass unfortunately. It is a terrible habit but is very enjoyable and I do actually like the taste. I do enjoy my trips to flavour country!

I shall stick with it for the time being but do plan on giving up before I'm 30-ish.

To anyone who went to the Bodies exhibit in The Ambassador, do you know anyone who actually quit smoking and dumped their fags into the glass cabinet beside the cancer-ridden lung display? I reckon it was just for show tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

sometimes i'll overeat just to enjoy a smoke more...

hmm i appear to have some issues!!!

Any non smokers i defy you to go watch the ninth gate and not want to smoke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Dimitri wrote: »
    I love every one of my 20+ a day addiction they're great. Its a damn shame their bad for you but i don't think i'd enjoy it as much if they weren't!

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A cigarette when you're starting to get drunk is just heaven. I hate them when I'm sober though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm off them approaching... 2 years. I remember liking smoking but the thought revolts me now. I don't think you'll ever grasp just how foul the habit is till you give it up (and I mean give it up as opposed to stopping for a month or two thinking you're great till you go back on them again)
    Why the preachiness, dude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Aaah. Lovley fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Its a love hate relationship with me, I love the taste, I love the smell, I love the feel of it...

But I hate every single wanker on the planet that chooses to judge me for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

gotta say, i love smoking. grew up in a house where both my parents smoked, untill i was about 10-ish, then when i was around 13 i started smoking, smoked marlboro light till i was about 15 years old, until my parents realised i wasnt going to quit and started buying me rollies as they said if they were going to pay for it they were going to pay as little as possible, so now i smoke golden virginia, and i love it! i cant smoke normal fags anymore, they make my mouth all dry and actually give me hayfever, and taste nowhere near as nice as golden virginia, wrapped in a zig-zag green and with a rizzla slim tip... mmmmmmhh tasty!

im 18 now, and kind of want to give up simply because of the health problems smoking brings, but **** me, i would just miss it too much. besides, whats the point of living if ya dont indulge in a few guilty pleasures :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I can make you quit smoking. I've a 100% success rate with friends so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

zuroph wrote: »

well thanks for the offer, but i dont feel like quitting. i would only consider it on health grounds, but **** it its worth the risks i feel!

just out of interest how do you get people to quit may i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I love smoking when I'm out on the beer, I can take it or leave it aside from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

shill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Hypnosis? Pulling a cancerous lung out of a hat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 layla_09

I enjoy the first one of the day and maybe the odd one when im drinking, thats it. Been smoking nearly 15 yrs now, its sick. Planning on doing Allen Carr soon enough and hopefully I will be rid FOR LIFE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Most of the time I like smoking, but there are times where I find myself smoking out of habit and don't really enjoy that.

I know I smoke way too much at the moment. I think to really really get the best enjoyment out of it you'd only want to smoke between 2 - 5 smokes a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭siobhank

after a hape of drink and/or a big meal yeah I love one.
    Otherwise, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol. through a mixture of hypnosis, and re-educating on some points. not a pushy mthod, but a so far very effective method.
    im on 6 people now, im building up a test group, once i get to 50 i'm gonna see how effective its been an re-evalute it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement