Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS tonight

Options
  • 22-07-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi All
    I just checked heavens above and the latest time it's giving for a sighting of the ISS tonight is 21.46. Is this correct?

Comments

Yah, that's the time alright. It's tonight's only visible pass, but it isn't a particularly good pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Heavens-Above is not giving me a visible pass for tonight (so no Sky Chart). Is this the case for everyone?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Heavens-Above is not giving me a visible pass for tonight (so no Sky Chart). Is this the case for everyone?

When you're logged into Heavens Above, you'll see a paragraph at the top saying that the ISS is sometimes visible during the day. Just click on the hyperlink in that paragraph and it'll show you times for every single ISS pass.

(I don't think there will be any easily visible passes tonight, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

When you're logged into Heavens Above, you'll see a paragraph at the top saying that the ISS is sometimes visible during the day. Just click on the hyperlink in that paragraph and it'll show you times for every single ISS pass.

(I don't think there will be any easily visible passes tonight, anyway).

Hi all ;)

-JammyDodger-

Hows Nova :D

Hope we get to see it tonite , not long more now and she will be gone for another while :( i notice less people coming here now too , thats a pity ,

Fingers crossed clouds stay away

Stargate

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's true stargate, the population boom has ended. I think it's probably due to the cloudy skies we've been having the past few days, the less spectacular passes of the ISS, and now it'll be gone for a for a few weeks again, and then just the general dying down of the excitement after the shuttle. There's more to see than that in the sky, but owell.

Still there be the regulars. :)

jumpguy wrote: »
    Yeah, that's true stargate, the population boom has ended. I think it's probably due to the cloudy skies we've been having the past few days, the less spectacular passes of the ISS, and now it'll be gone for a for a few weeks again, and then just the general dying down of the excitement after the shuttle. There's more to see than that in the sky, but owell.

Still there be the regulars. :)

Hiya jumpguy :)

Thanks for the reply , a pass due in 15mins , very overcast here in Cork .
    true re the boom , but hey it was mighty while it lasted , i really enjoyed the craic with some really decent folk ;)

Wonder anyone seeing Comet 22P Kopff yet , up near jupiter as far as i know ?

Come on ISS + SS give us a final view before you go :cool:

Stargate

Stargate wrote: »
    Woner anyone seeing Comet 22P Kopff yet , up near jupiter as far as i know ?

Yah, it's around an hour "left" of Jupiter and ~4 degrees "lower". I've tried to view it for the last few nights but it's always been too cloudy. It's still at mag. 8.3 so it's pretty bright for now.

Couldn't see the ISS tonight. Clouds have cleared now, gonna do abit of sky-searching tonight. Is Comet 22P Kopff visible through bino's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hiya jumpguy :)

Thanks for the reply , a pass due in 15mins , very overcast here in Cork .
    true re the boom , but hey it was mighty while it lasted , i really enjoyed the craic with some really decent folk ;)

Wonder anyone seeing Comet 22P Kopff yet , up near jupiter as far as i know ?

Come on ISS + SS give us a final view before you go :cool:

Stargate

Is it do-able to locate without a go-to mount? I would love to have a look, but I dont get much time to make recordings or note relative movement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm still here and will continue to check in,Although i have no telescope and I've lost my binoculars so it'll only be ISS spotting for me :pac:

efla wrote: »
    Is it do-able to locate without a go-to mount? I would love to have a look, but I dont get much time to make recordings or note relative movement

If you're good with co-ordinates you can find it without a go-to mount. You can get the exact co-ordinates from Stellarium or Heavens Above and work from there. The easiest way to locate it is to use Stellarium to view it, and then use Jupiter as a reference to find it in the actual sky.

(Keep in mind that it's very unspectacular. Through binoculars it's just a dot, and through all but the best telescopes it's just a fuzzy dot. It's nice to be able to see a comet, though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Hi all-clear stretch of sky here yesterday evening but not a sign of anything. Just wanted to say that despite being a total amateur and not having a clue what's going on most of the time, I love this forum and won't be dropping away-the enthusiasm and the friendliness is fab.:D

If you're good with co-ordinates you can find it without a go-to mount. You can get the exact co-ordinates from Stellarium or Heavens Above and work from there. The easiest way to locate it is to use Stellarium to view it, and then use Jupiter as a reference to find it in the actual sky.

(Keep in mind that it's very unspectacular. Through binoculars it's just a dot, and through all but the best telescopes it's just a fuzzy dot. It's nice to be able to see a comet, though).

Thanks, I'm just looking for a moderate challenge :)

Thanks, I'm just looking for a moderate challenge :)

If you want a great challenge, try to find as many Messier objects as you can in one night (or over a few nights, whichever suits). There are 103 in total, all of which are visible with binoculars (under good conditions). It's one of the greatest night-sky challenges, I haven't managed to see them all in one night yet, but I've seen them all over two nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

I read somewhere once that there is a sort of award you can get for doing that. Not sure it's very formal or how you do it but if you spot 70 in a time period you get the regular title, which msot people will get, and if you spot over 70 it's a title with distinction. does that sound familiar to anyone?

squonk wrote: »
    I read somewhere once that there is a sort of award you can get for doing that. Not sure it's very formal or how you do it but if you spot 70 in a time period you get the regular title, which msot people will get, and if you spot over 70 it's a title with distinction. does that sound familiar to anyone?

The IFAS have a bino observation handbook, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

If you want a great challenge, try to find as many Messier objects as you can in one night (or over a few nights, whichever suits). There are 103 in total, all of which are visible with binoculars (under good conditions). It's one of the greatest night-sky challenges, I haven't managed to see them all in one night yet, but I've seen them all over two nights.

Whats the minimum magnification you need to see these with binoculars? i'd love to be able to see some of these but dont have a telescope

Whats the minimum magnification you need to see these with binoculars? i'd love to be able to see some of these but dont have a telescope

I get most of the polar ones in 10x50's on a reasonably clear night - nothing more than a smudge though. You can see some with naked eye (m31 easiest)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I get most of the polar ones in 10x50's on a reasonably clear night - nothing more than a smudge though. You can see some with naked eye (m31 easiest)

Thanks, i must try this the next clear night

• Advertisement

Thanks, i must try this the next clear night

They aren't limited to viewing polar objects - that was my own range of view, as I live in an estate with restricted horizons. If you have a clear view they should all be within reach at some point throughout the year

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'm still here and will continue to check in,Although i have no telescope and I've lost my binoculars so it'll only be ISS spotting for me :pac:

Hi all :)

Hiya Ricky

How are tricks ? hows the ole beer barrel lol , i enjoyed your company when the ISS + SS were about the past week or so , so be great to see ya hang about the forum , same goes for everyone esle Ricky :) fifilarue , efla , -JammyDodger- , jumpguy , squonk ,Hadouken!! , and so many others too many to meantion ,newcomers , oldhands etc etc , be nice to see a lot more people starting topics no matter how simple or complex they are . Like yourself for instance Ricky with your photography im sure could be an inspiration to many , tell or show them exactly how to balance 10 grands worth of photography equipment on a beer barrel and take shots of the ISS lol

So Many great people in here ,. nice to see it :D

Quote from fifilarue Hi all-clear stretch of sky here yesterday evening but not a sign of anything. Just wanted to say that despite being a total amateur and not having a clue what's going on most of the time, I love this forum and won't be dropping away-the enthusiasm and the friendliness is fab.

I think he was paying compliments to the likes of -JammyDodger- who was out there doing all the hard work giving times of passing etc , but a very nice post by fifilarue .

Cloudy here in Cork ( again ) :(

You might find some WX ( weather ) links handy here for your area :)

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

Regards
    Stargate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

22:10 tonight for Waterford but a bit cloudy. Shame to see the crowd drop off but thats the way it always is. Still lets keep the flag flying for us geeks on here:D Tonight is the last pass for a few weeks so we wont get to see the shuttle before the landing next friday July 31. keep watching NASA TV.

Beeker wrote: »
    22:10 tonight for Waterford but a bit cloudy. Shame to see the crowd drop off but thats the way it always is. Still lets keep the flag flying for us geeks on here:D Tonight is the last pass for a few weeks so we wont get to see the shuttle before the landing next friday July 31. keep watching NASA TV.

Hiya Beeker

Very cloudy here in Cork , but will you keep you posted if it clears by 22:10 :)

You anywhere near here
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~dunmoreweather/
    might be handy as a weather watch for you

Regards
    Stargate

Just had a view of the ISS ,

Very cloudy here , no visual as she approached from the west , saw her almost due south for all of 15 seconds only , prety low in the sky , but looked great in the binocs :)

anyone esle see it ?

Stargate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Just had a view of the ISS ,

Very cloudy here , no visual as she approached from the west , saw her almost due south for all of 15 seconds only , prety low in the sky , but looked great in the binocs :)

anyone esle see it ?

Stargate
    Yeah got it here in Waterford inbetween the clouds. Thanks for that link. Dont live near Dunmore but I do work near there. However I have a great view from where I work to the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

hi all... i went out to see the pass... (I am in kerry on holiday and brought my lap top with me and I was tracking the ISS on nasa)didnt see anything... though the sky and dingle bay looked beautiful as usual!!! ...i am a big fan of this thread and log on daily though I dont post much!! thanks for all your info the last few weeks about the shuttle and the iss.. I have had this page and the nasa page open all the time in between running in and out off the garden to see whats going on!! I have got my nieces and nephews into stargazing now too.....:o

will try and contribute a bit more too as i have a huge interest in the night sky.. though to be honest dont know that much about it!! i get all my info here!!!:D

maggie797 wrote: »
    hi all... i went out to see the pass... (I am in kerry on holiday and brought my lap top with me and I was tracking the ISS on nasa)didnt see anything... though the sky and dingle bay looked beautiful as usual!!! ...i am a big fan of this thread and log on daily though I dont post much!! thanks for all your info the last few weeks about the shuttle and the iss.. I have had this page and the nasa page open all the time in between running in and out off the garden to see whats going on!! I have got my nieces and nephews into stargazing now too.....:o

will try and contribute a bit more too as i have a huge interest in the night sky.. though to be honest dont know that much about it!! i get all my info here!!!:D

Your not from Cork Maggie797

If i asked were you Barrys sister would it ring a bell :)

Stargate

Beeker wrote: »
    Yeah got it here in Waterford inbetween the clouds. Thanks for that link. Dont live near Dunmore but I do work near there. However I have a great view from where I work to the west.

Thats Fab Beeker , i was just about to give up because i had cloud to the west and it covered my view and just at the last before she went into shadow i got a clear spot and got her in the binocs for about 15 seconds , not long but SHE is one beautiful sight :cool:

Stargate

• Advertisement

Thats Fab Beeker , i was just about to give up because i had cloud to the west and it covered my view and just at the last before she went into shadow i got a clear spot and got her in the binocs for about 15 seconds , not long but SHE is one beautiful sight :cool:

Stargate
    That SHE is. My wife is always getting on to me for calling the Shuttle a "she", but you know it is a she, and beautiful she is!

Advertisement