Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Beeker wrote: »
    That SHE is. My wife is always getting on to me for calling the Shuttle a "she", but you know it is a she, and beautiful she is!

HaHa ,
    Well Beeker im glad you got to she " HER " :) tonight and under very poor conditions too .

I can see -JammyDodger- starting a new thread
    " Is the ISS a she ? " haha , can you imagine :D

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The ISS is a he.

The shuttle is a she.

Then they "dock".

I'll let ye do the math...

jumpguy wrote: »
    The ISS is a he.

The shuttle is a she.

Then they "dock".

I'll let ye do the math...

:D Well to me , the ISS and the SS are both female hahaha :D
    Like i said i can see that thread happening , lol ,

Stargate

maggie797 wrote: »
    hi all... i went out to see the pass... (I am in kerry on holiday and brought my lap top with me and I was tracking the ISS on nasa)didnt see anything... though the sky and dingle bay looked beautiful as usual!!! ...i am a big fan of this thread and log on daily though I dont post much!! thanks for all your info the last few weeks about the shuttle and the iss.. I have had this page and the nasa page open all the time in between running in and out off the garden to see whats going on!! I have got my nieces and nephews into stargazing now too.....:o

will try and contribute a bit more too as i have a huge interest in the night sky.. though to be honest dont know that much about it!! i get all my info here!!!:D

Hiya Maggie797

The reason i asked were you from Cork was a friend of mine sister is in Dingle with her family at the mo , and they are tracking the Iss , just wondered if it was you

Regards
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Quote from fifilarue Hi all-clear stretch of sky here yesterday evening but not a sign of anything. Just wanted to say that despite being a total amateur and not having a clue what's going on most of the time, I love this forum and won't be dropping away-the enthusiasm and the friendliness is fab.

I think he was paying compliments to the likes of -JammyDodger- who was out there doing all the hard work giving times of passing etc , but a very nice post by fifilarue .

By the way Stargate-I'm female too!!!:D:D:D

• Advertisement

fifilarue wrote: »
    By the way Stargate-I'm female too!!!:D:D:D

fifilarue :)

I do apoligize , if i had called you a she and you were a he i`d have been in bigger trouble i think LOL , so i do apoligize and hope you`ll forgive me ;)

Very Nice to see you on the forum and please hang around more !!

Kind Regards
    Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Will i be able to see anything tonight & what time ?

airhorn wrote: »
    Will i be able to see anything tonight & what time ?

I'm afraid the ISS is pretty much "gone" for a few weeks. It won't be passing over head at the appropriate times to catch the suns rays while we're in darkness. I'm not sure when it'll begin to be visible again, but if you check this forum regularly I'm sure times will be posted somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Maybe we should start posting flare times? They are a crowd pleaser! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Flare and flare intensity depend on where exactly you are in the country I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

no worries Stargate and no need to apologise, thought it was hilarious myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

Hiya Maggie797

The reason i asked were you from Cork was a friend of mine sister is in Dingle with her family at the mo , and they are tracking the Iss , just wondered if it was you

Regards
    Stargate

hi stargate..sorry I didnt get back sooner... broadband non existent where I was in kerry so havnt logged on for a while.. no I am not from cork, from sunny limerick/Tipp.I could see dingle bay though I was the other side of it,Rossbeigh.. a beautiful strand opp Inch.. no joy with spotting the ISS and I was out every eveining looking!! will stay on here to get updates on when shuttle and iss are visible agaiin.

maggie797 wrote: »

hi stargate..sorry I didnt get back sooner... broadband non existent where I was in kerry so havnt logged on for a while.. no I am not from cork, from sunny limerick/Tipp.I could see dingle bay though I was the other side of it,Rossbeigh.. a beautiful strand opp Inch.. no joy with spotting the ISS and I was out every eveining looking!! will stay on here to get updates on when shuttle and iss are visible agaiin.

Hiya Maggie797

How are you doing ?

The ISS and SS wont be visible for another while , The Shuttle is landing tomorrow , and when the ISS flies over Ireland in the next coming weeks it will be in Daylight .

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Short notice, but there is a good pass due at about 21:25 tonight, Tuesday 15th. Go out and watch. There are some other good ones over the coming nights.

Flukey wrote: »
    Short notice, but there is a good pass due at about 21:25 tonight, Tuesday 15th. Go out and watch. There are some other good ones over the coming nights.

Hiya Flukey , was just about to post the same lol

Pass starting from the west @ 21:23 pm , sky clear here in cork , dont know whats it like in the rest of the country , was watching the footy on tv , its pissing rain in London :D

ooh for some more clear nites ;)

Ok , gonna have a look in a sec , 85 degrees elevation so this pass is overhead , hope the latter part isnt in shadow ,

good luck to all trying to see her ;)

Stargate

Straight overhead , lovely pass , lost her when she went into shadow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Feckin' clouds, I couldnt see a thing!

Watched it on stellarium :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Megastar

I saw the ISS pass from my back garden. Over my neighbour's kitchen and across in front of me. It looked beautiful, it (she?) seems to go so fast. It was much brighter than Jupiter. I'm trying to get familiar with the magnitude system.

Tonight the sky looked amazing. The best visibility since I started checking in the last few weeks. I try to check the faintest visible star, 3.85 tonight, but I live close to the town centre so lots of light.

With my new Nikon 50x100 binoculars I could see Jupiter's moons - absolutely thrilling.
    There seems to be a colour issue though. The left side of the planet looked a bit yellow and the right side looked blue. Should I get the binos checked or it this to be expected? They were a great bargain, maybe too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It was a bit cloudy here, but I did get to see it. It was right overhead. If it was clearer it would have been even better. Being right overhead means it reflects a little less light towards us, so I've seen it brighter. It is going about 17,500 miles per hour and takes about an hour and a half to go completely around the world.

Flukey wrote: »
    It was a bit cloudy here, but I did get to see it. It was right overhead. If it was clearer it would have been even better. Being right overhead means it reflects a little less light towards us, so I've seen it brighter. It is going about 17,500 miles per hour and takes about an hour and a half to go completely around the world.

Hiya Fluley , how are things with you?

it was clear here in Cork , great viewing , bit of fog and cloud rolling now me thinks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Can anyone tell me what time it passes tonight? or where i can find out even so i dont have to keep asking :D. Hope its clear tonight!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

jimbis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what time it passes tonight? or where i can find out even so i dont have to keep asking :D. Hope its clear tonight!
    Thanks!

Go to this site

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Enter your location and it will give you times of passes specific to you :)

Pass info for the ISS tonight Wed 16th Sept .

Starting 8:12 pm From The WEST , highest elevation will be 80 degrees ,so fairly high in the evening sky , till its gone off the horizon in the EAST at 8:21 pmpm

2nd pass is ...........

Starting 9:48 pm From The WEST , highest elevation will be 73 degrees , so fairly high in the night sky ( good chance later part of the pass will be in shadow ) till its gone off the horizon in the EAST at 9:56pm

Good luck all

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

jimbis wrote: »
    Feckin' clouds, I couldnt see a thing!

Watched it on stellarium :D

you can see it on stellarium?

cool!!.........must check it out next time

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

All

Saw a nice ISS pass tuesday 21st Sept. Took some pics and made a movie of it. Also left camera running and caught a plane leaving Dublin airport.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32407212@N03/3944927353

Clear skies
    Calchas

calchas wrote: »
    All

Saw a nice ISS pass tuesday 21st Sept. Took some pics and made a movie of it. Also left camera running and caught a plane leaving Dublin airport.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32407212@N03/3944927353

Clear skies
    Calchas

Calchas , Howya doing?

That was cool to watch :D

Enjoyed it , really did , well done man !!

Regards
    Stargate

Advertisement