Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interleaving

Options
  • 22-07-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hey lads:), i live fairly far from the exchange and i was just wondering if you're broadband line is set to low interleaving, how would this effect my broadband if any, because i recently downgraded to 1 meg after eircom upgraded it to 2 meg but the line couldn't handle it so eircom put my line on low interleaving with no improvement, so i rang them to downgrade me to 1meg, but there has still been no improvement in the line, before the up-grade i was always getting the full 1meg speed and now I'm only getting 256kp:confused:, this has been going on for few months now, any help, thanx.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Could you give us the line stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Low interleaving will make the packets go faster across the line - but not more packets down the line - so your 1Mbps connection won't go to 2Mbps but your ping times will be a little faster. The downside is Interleaving is there to help your line recover from noise which causes errors. If you can't get 2Mbps you are a long way from the exchange and would probably need a interleaving turned on.

BTW there is no 2Mbps product anymore - eircom have upgraded all(well almost all) 2Mbps to 3Mbps.

Did eircom say they turned Interleaving to low - I didn't know they would do that?

Next question is will they do it for Bitstream - where theeircom BB is actually with another service provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Biker Tommy

thanx lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

BTW there is no 2Mbps product anymore - eircom have upgraded all(well almost all) 2Mbps to 3Mbps.

Did eircom say they turned Interleaving to low - I didn't know they would do that?

I'm on 7mb, i have pings of 30ms to boards.ie

They lowered my interleaving to low. Before I had 45-60ms.

I dropped to 3mb hoping for better pings, but it was worse. So I went back to 7mb with low interleaving(they told me they could only lower it on 7mb)

They understood i wanted lower pings, so he offered me 2mb fastpath. But said i prob. wouldn't want that, he was right.

I wonder what they would have charged me though?

I'm less than 1km from my exchange, with good stats. I get 6000+ on tests.

Advertisement