Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good read, cant make my mind up.

Options
  • 22-07-2009 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Which book do you recommend for my next read? I've had both of these books for sometime now.

Which book to read next? 5 votes

God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
    0% 0 votes
    Midnigths Children by Salman Rushdie
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I enjoyed reading the God Delusion, found it funny at times which I didn't expect. Haven't read the salman rushdie book so can't comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy either of them...sorry! Maybe pick something else?

I've only read The God Delusion out of the two books you've listed, and to be brutally honest, it's not Dawkins' greatest work. You should read The Selfish Gene or The Blind Watchmaker (if you haven't already, that is) as they're much better. Don't just go with The God Delusion because it's somewhat popular.

I can't say anything about Rushdie's book as I haven't read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sestina

Midnight's Children is a rollicking good romp of a read, I highly recommend it. It's also a good one because it's an 'important' book which is also absolutely hilarious at points and always entertaining, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Thanks for the comments, I've started to read both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Which book do you recommend for my next read? I've had both of these books for sometime now.

If you're ever stuck for ideas, Goodreads is s welcoming sites for sharing tips on the best books in every genre. When you find another reader whose taste matches yours, you can make them a "friend":

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1708256?shelf=%23ALL%23

I've just read the noir thriller "The Dark Fields" by Alan Glynn.
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/alan-glynn/
    It's snappy, fast and with a very unusual story. The main protagonist takes a mind enhancing drug, in some ways not unlike "Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde" and the result is a dizzy trip around New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy either of them...sorry! Maybe pick something else?

Same here .Midnights Children i threw into the recycle bin after 50 pages!!!

Advertisement