Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping Gaz in Cork?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey there!
    i'm going to do a camping trip to ireland soon. we'll arrive in cork by plane - saturday evening...
    is there any chance to buy camping gaz on a sunday+where?
    next thing: needs to be one of these, someone told me these aren't quite common in ireland?
    http://www.paulamertzen.de/merco_camping.htm (perhaps other size, but with this thing on the top)

thanks in advance!

ps: a friend of mine said something about a beautiful little village(?)/haven near cork (i think the name was xyz-haven... but i dont think it was crosshaven) we should go to... problem is, i forgot the name and she's somewhere in mexico&no chance to contact her...
    any idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

Elentari wrote: »
    Hey there!
    i'm going to do a camping trip to ireland soon. we'll arrive in cork by plane - saturday evening...
    next thing: needs to be one of these, someone told me these aren't quite common in ireland?
    http://www.paulamertzen.de/merco_camping.htm (perhaps other size, but with this thing on the top)

thanks in advance!

ps: a friend of mine said something about a beautiful little village(?)/haven near cork (i think the name was xyz-haven... but i dont think it was crosshaven) we should go to... problem is, i forgot the name and she's somewhere in mexico&no chance to contact her...
    any idea?

You would get gas here in The Scout Shop on McCurtain St
    and there's also a camping shop across the road on York Hill. Both unlikely to be open on Sundays but maybe prior arrangments could be made with them.

As for the village, don't worry about it, there's plenty more just waiting to be found

edit, it's probably Oysterhaven, nice spot, great for watersports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

go into the little camping shop there just on the corner of cornmarket street i seen em for sale there. also there's a shop on penrose quay that sells all this ****. usually has a ****ty little inflatable boat standing outside the door

real men don't use this kind of consumerised stuff for city boys who want to pretend they're adventurous. real men take a chainsaw, use it to kill a lion and then burn the wood they cut to roast their kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Elentari

man, never been so glad to be no man... hunting&all that stuff ist so stressful
    ajsp. wrote: »
    You would get gas here in The Scout Shop on McCurtain St
    and there's also a camping shop across the road on York Hill. Both unlikely to be open on Sundays but maybe prior arrangments could be made with them.

As for the village, don't worry about it, there's plenty more just waiting to be found

edit, it's probably Oysterhaven, nice spot, great for watersports
    thanks a lot!
    perhaps they can deliver it to our first hostel or somehow... otherwise we'll have to stay another night in cork or have our steak fresh and bloody :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Makers outdoors Behind the bus station

Scout shop McCurtain st (Head across the river form patricks st and up the hill about 70m and swing a right its another 200-300m blue shop)

York st Camping (accross form the scout shop)

There are two camping shops on the coalQuay, ask for macDonalds on Patricks st and the at their door look across the little pedestrian area, there is one on the corner and one arround the corner

All will be open on sunday till at least 3pm and most till 5pm. Mahers stock MSR brand gas, i think if your partial on campinggaz as a brand the latter 2 would be a better bet. But they all act the same, MSr is slightly more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Elentari

so that's good news!

hm, as long as it works,the brand is not important. and the cheaper, the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Elentari wrote: »
    Hey there!

thanks in advance!

any idea?

I'd say most likely Crookhaven, that is a really nice village way at the south-west of Ireland... it's in County Cork but a long oul drive from the city. There are good touristy things to do near by, mainly Mizen Head, some old copper mines, some watersports/activities, nice scenery... there are camp sites in the area and Schull town not too far.

If she meant Oysterhaven, then that's not a bad spot either because it is the place for watersports and activities, and it is near Kinsale (another cool town to go to).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

maglite wrote: »
    Makers outdoors Behind the bus station

Scout shop McCurtain st (Head across the river form patricks st and up the hill about 70m and swing a right its another 200-300m blue shop)

York st Camping (accross form the scout shop)

There are two camping shops on the coalQuay, ask for macDonalds on Patricks st and the at their door look across the little pedestrian area, there is one on the corner and one arround the corner

All will be open on sunday till at least 3pm and most till 5pm. Mahers stock MSR brand gas, i think if your partial on campinggaz as a brand the latter 2 would be a better bet. But they all act the same, MSr is slightly more expensive

Yorke Hill is NEVER open on Sundays, same with the Scoutshop AFAIK.

I don't know about the one on the Coal Quay though, they might be.

OP, you will DEFINITELY get GAZ in Cork, I prefer Butane myself or Hexi is even more manly and small, but you will get GAZ somewhere.

If you are going to stay until the monday to find it which you will likely have to do then check

Yorke Hill (Just off McCurtain St. Across the road from the Scout Shop.)

Scout shop

Great outdoors, (Near Blue McDonalds, on Daunt Sq.)

The Place on the Coal Quay behind Great Outdoors.

There are a few other places also.

My advice STOCK UP if you can find some. It is unlikely you will find any GAZ on the road when camping. I did a Camping/Hitchhiking trip for a couple of weeks last year and couldn't even find one place in the west to stock up on Hexi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Ok i just checked, 3-5 app for york st,1-5 for the one arround the corner form Great outdoors

Scout shop are indeed closed. as are Mahers and great out doors. It appear I was actually wrong for a change.....

Advertisement