Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freezer

• 22-07-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

So i emptied my freezer and found some meat thats there several years. The wrapper says that after freezing defrost and use within one month. IIS the one month advice just covering their asses? I though frozen meat could be eaten years later?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I don't know if it's safe or not to eat it but if it was me I wouldn't. Surely you can afford to buy more meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Only eat it if you want to die. Otherwise, I'd bin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Have you not defrosted your freezer for that long? :pac:

If it had begun to thaw even a bit in those years then its not safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Eat it, make sure your defrost it fully first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Apparently it would be safer than eating pork these days, so what the hell, go for it, we're all fukked either way so you may aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If it smells and looks alright after its defrosted, chances are its alright. Besides, bacteria never killed anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Scientifical Answer - Technically, if you had your freezer on a cold enough setting and never had the meat thaw before, TECHNICALLY, it should be safe to eat. Germs cannot multiply under them conditions, but if the meat thawed even slightly germs could've multiplied, then when frozen, they would be stuck that way.

Common Sense Answer - Don't risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

even if it's been in there for years, bacteria has never touched it, so it should be fine.

Maybe you should ring up some company like an bord bia and ask them about it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just found this - http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-refreeze.shtml

I'm shocked! All this time I thought you couldn't refreeze meat =o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I've Bacon and Steaks in the freezer for ~ 6 months and still planning on eating it.

Also is it in a Freezer box in a fridge or a proper freezer and if a proper one what is the star rating?
    So i emptied my freezer and found some meat thats there several years. The wrapper says that after freezing defrost and use within one month. IIS the one month advice just covering their asses? I though frozen meat could be eaten years later?

• Advertisement

Just found this - http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq-refreeze.shtml

I'm shocked! All this time I thought you couldn't refreeze meat =o

and all this time I left my meat on the kitchen sink all day to defrost. I haven't been poisoned yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I know a chef in the Irish army...

they're having 8 year old Turky this christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

and all this time I left my meat on the kitchen sink all day to defrost. I haven't been poisoned yet....

its fine ignore all the people.... :D who say ahhhh germs oh its not cleen you get sick I ate worms as a kid and nothin went wrong with me

Op defrost something and see how it taste's, ok then you no so i dont see how anything can go bad if its frozen,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NatKingColeslaw

Every couple of years our family has a cow, lamb and pig slaughtered from the farm and you can freeze the meats for a good while. No point in having a farm and not using the goods.

Bummer that I got friendly with Daisy, the homer and lobster scene is applicable :(

its fine ignore all the people.... :D who say ahhhh germs oh its not cleen you get sick I ate worms as a kid and nothin went wrong with me

Op defrost something and see how it taste's, ok then you no so i dont see how anything can go bad if its frozen,,,,,

well I heard today that apparently worms stop you getting asthma so you were actually making yourself healthier without even knowing it!

(I hope you don't have asthma, that would suck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's freezer-burnt up to sh*t but it won't kill you...probably be tough and dried out when you cook it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

well I heard today that apparently worms stop you getting asthma so you were actually making yourself healthier without even knowing it!

(I hope you don't have asthma, that would suck)

I was doing to gross out my mym :pac: it worked :cool:

No i got hay fever tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

OK..OP so your asking should you eat meat thats 7 years past its use by date?

my gut instinct would be NO!!!!! "If in doubt...throw it out"..as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

...forgot to add that the average household freezer runs with air temp of approx -10'C...quite a bit off the -18'C meat should be stored at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Clytus wrote: »
    ...forgot to add that the average household freezer runs with air temp of approx -10'C...quite a bit off the -18'C meat should be stored at.

That's a good point...the OP never did say if this was a chest freezer or one of those little ice boxes in the top of the fridge...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Have one of those come dine with me thingys and invite some people you don't really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Careful what you might find in a freezer if you leave it too long between clean outs, someone in Galway found a body in theirs , was there a quite a while as well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I know the feeling I was searching the freezer tonight and found snake food my ex left behind.
    galwayrush wrote: »
    Careful what you might find in a freezer if you leave it too long between clean outs, someone in Galway found a body in theirs , was there a quite a while as well.:rolleyes:

Advertisement