Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car keeps cutting out!?

• 22-07-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all,
    Can anyone help o give me advice?
    I have a ford fiesta 1996 (lx, I think) 1.25 zetec, the problem is it always cuts out on me i.e., at traffic lights or after coming to stand-still after a good distance of use on the M50. Also when I go to use the car for first time in a day or from scratch, the engine revs quite loud and fast, is best I could decribe it (maybe the cutting out is related?).
    I would be really gratefull for any advice.
    Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

Chilijay wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Can anyone help o give me advice?
    I have a ford fiesta 1996 (lx, I think) 1.25 zetec, the problem is it always cuts out on me i.e., at traffic lights or after coming to stand-still after a good distance of use on the M50. Also when I go to use the car for first time in a day or from scratch, the engine revs quite loud and fast, is best I could decribe it (maybe the cutting out is related?).
    I would be really gratefull for any advice.
    Thanks,
    J
    The loud and fast revs on start up is quite normal on fiesta's, Sounds like your in bad need of a service mainly air filter and plugs would help, You may just need to slightly up the idle rev on the car do the lights dim at night when its ticking over and get brighter when you rev the engine and finally it could have something to do with the air flow meter if it has one? is it hard to start when its warm, if not forget about the airflow meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me (i.e the fuel to air ratio is incorrect). Too little air can be caused by a blocked filter or too much air can be caused by a broken/torn hose or gasket. I assume being a '96 fiesta that it has fuel injection rather than carbs.

1. The first (and cheapest) thing to replace is the air filter. Even if it isn't the problem (and it probably isn't) there's no harm in changing it if it hasn't been done in a while anyway.

2. Next, check any hoses running from the air filter housing to where it joins the engine very carefully. Even the smallest little tear will affect the running of the engine.

3. I'm not sure if the Fiestas have one but if they do I would check the Lambda sensor on the exhaust. (you'll need a mechanic for this)

4. There's also the possibility of a knackered fuel injector.

Well that's my two cents worth....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not a Ford expert by any means but maybe your problem is a dirty throttle body. It's common on other makes but I don't know how prone Fords are to it.

Advertisement