Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matt the threshers bird hill

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Two of us visited matt the threshers for a snack type food on Monday last at approx 4pm Pot of tea for two, a salmon and cheese open sandwich and prawn salad (which consisted of a glorified sandwich) and a club lemon . . . . . The whole thing came to a whopping €37 EUROS :eek:. . . .yes 37Euro this included would you believe a service charge of €1.50
    The food wasnt even nice This place is a product of a past that we need to forget about.......Acomplete rip off .........no wonder we have no tourists in the country with places like this still lurking around!:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Did you order off a menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brettmirl wrote: »
    Did you order off a menu?

Whilst wearing a blindfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bogview

I didnt hear and as far as i was informed there wasn't any brail menus :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

Thanks Bogview for the heads up. I wont be visiting Matt the Thresher after reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I hear ya! Was there last year and paid around €17 for what was basically chicken goujons and chips. Was billed on the menu as free range chicken as far as I recall. Portion was poor, as was the food. Remember feeling ripped off. They are basically skinning tourists on the back of the village's continuing success in the Tidy Towns scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

bogview wrote: »
    I didnt hear and as far as i was informed there wasn't any brail menus :mad:

You didnt hear what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

no wonder we have no tourists in the country with places like this still lurking around!:mad::mad:

In every country in the world there are places that charge way over the odds for food. Yesterday in Harrogate, I was about to get coffee & muffin until i saw it was gong to cost just under £7. (€8.60)

Last Saturday evening in Sandymount I had glass good wine, pasta & salad for €20 - excellent value & on Sunday I had steak & sides in bray for €10.

Matt the Thresers used to have a great name for great food and was well worth it, but in the past 2 / 3 years the standard has dropped considerably but the prices have remained far too high. - Funny its never packed any more! - I wonder why?

There is TONNES of value in the Irish market today - open your eyes and you'll see it. Check the menu / prices before ordering and if you don't think its value, leave. The high price places will soon get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Theri attitude towards cutomers children on the Ray Darcy show probably didn't help either, was funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

yes, and at worst if you have to put up with the custom provided for whatever sort of social awkwardness, (being invited there by a friend or such) dont return. However annoying it can be, I think its acceptable to be stung once, remember not to return and its acceptable to tell people about your experiences on forums such as this. Thanks again OP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I remember being there a few years back and the food was alright - obviously went downhill since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Two of us visited matt the threshers for a snack type food on Monday last at approx 4pm Pot of tea for two, a salmon and cheese open sandwich and prawn salad (which consisted of a glorified sandwich) and a club lemon . . . . . The whole thing came to a whopping €37 EUROS :eek:. . . .yes 37Euro this included would you believe a service charge of €1.50
    The food wasnt even nice This place is a product of a past that we need to forget about.......Acomplete rip off .........no wonder we have no tourists in the country with places like this still lurking around!:mad::mad:

Sure you didn't buy shares? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bogview

ronaneire wrote: »
    Sure you didn't buy shares? :D

Thought that myself when i WOKE UP.........It sort of crept up on me when I was about 10 miles up the road I realised what was after happening........expect share certs any day now:) The name should also be extended to "Matt the thresher milling customers"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

However runs it hasn't a clue how to do business. The yanks are giving out too!!!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186636-d607603-r8524349-Matt_the_Thrasher-County_Tipperary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

baldbear wrote: »
    However runs it hasn't a clue how to do business. The yanks are giving out too!!!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186636-d607603-r8524349-Matt_the_Thrasher-County_Tipperary.html

Just read the comments now - wow this place stinks. Shame they can get away with the level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a while since I've been there but I do recall that their floor management is less than satisfactory, they have the curious ability to annoy people before they order food and if you do arrive at a quiet time and sit down somewhere of your own choosing they have a knack of ignoring you until you kick up a fuss.

Considering the prominent location and that they have a large car park it's amazing that it isn't run better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Hopefully this place will go under once the M7 opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

Guys
    Thanks to this post I managed to persuade my wife that we wouldn't stop in Matt The Threshers on the way home from West Clare yesterday. Instead we stopped in Killaloe/Ballina, ended up in a place called Molly's ( a pub) Ballina side of the bridge. From the outside it looks fairly rough but due to the food award plaques on the outside we ventured in. there were 4 of us and we had lunch each, 1 coffee, 1 coke and rest water, came to €37,service was exceptional, would happily go again. It's slightly off the main road, but worth it,especially if this thread is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I live locally in the area. As a few posters said, it used to have a good name for food a few years ago although it's closer to 10 years ago at this stage. It has gone massively downhill since. As for service.... you only have to do a google on the place to find out what the owner's attitude is like. No one local would dream of going there.

As boggerboy said, if you're ever passing that way and you want a bit of grub, swing down into Killaloe / Ballina. It's only about a mile off the road and you will have a choice of a good number of places to go. Mollys would be one of the best value of them, but they're all fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 villacud

You'll never find a local drinking on there at night time or weekends. All to be found in Dinny Ryans across the road. Dont think he does food though

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭frecklier

Was there at the weekend. While I have to say I have possibly never come across such a rude, unfriendly bar manager, the 'kids must remain seated at all times' rule rocks. Had five kids with us, and have never seen them sit so quietly and well-behaved.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The owner sounds like a Weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

The owner sounds like a Weirdo.

This guy is a twat. I was here yesterday while passing through. I was never before. He loves splitting up families to different tables:)

It would be funny to say he is a bit like the soup nazi form seinfeld and Basil Fawlty. But to be honest he's just a greedy owner. You can literally see the euro sign in his eyes.

A polite American couple with a young child came in looking to use the bathroom (obviously the child needed it). His repsonse was 'you may you the bathroom, even though this is not a rest stop.'

He didn't smile once for the hour I was there. No charm, no customer skills. Food was average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know it well.
    No local goes there.

Plenty of good places in Ballina/Killaloe, go there instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

wyndham wrote: »
    I hear ya! Was there last year and paid around €17 for what was basically chicken goujons and chips. Was billed on the menu as free range chicken as far as I recall. Portion was poor, as was the food. Remember feeling ripped off. They are basically skinning tourists on the back of the village's continuing success in the Tidy Towns scheme.

stopped there about a year ago, has the same food and it was terrible.
    goujons tasted like fish! i persume they used the same oil to deep fry
    the chicken and fish, terrible place.

Its looks good from the outside which is what draws most people to stop
    there i think, anyway i would never go back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hopefully when the M7 is completed bypassing Birdhill, this shower will be put out of business.

I wouldn't stop for a p*ss in this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

villacud wrote: »
    You'll never find a local drinking on there at night time or weekends. All to be found in Dinny Ryans across the road. Dont think he does food though

We stopped in MTT a few years back, and learnt our lesson.

Can't remember what it was called on the menu, but essentially we got a few bits of chicken nuggets and a handful of cold chips, served in a plastic basket, charged at 'posh restaurant/gastro pub' main course prices.

The next time we were passing we stopped in over the road, to watch the rugby. We asked if there was any chance of food, and were directed to MTT opposite. We said we'd been there once before and refused to go in there again, at which the barman told us he could do us up some toasties if we were hungry!
    So, we sat in Dinny Ryans, watching the rugby, scoffing down endless cheese & ham toasties (they just kept bringing them out to us :D ), for which we paid pennies.

So forget MTT, head over the road...and look hungry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It gets dodgy reviews on here as well. I'm surprised that they get any customers at all.:eek:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186636-d607603-r75696860-Matt_the_Thrasher-County_Tipperary.html#REVIEWS

Some of the 31 (so far) reviews seem to be a little suspicious, in the amount of praise they give to this place.

I've passed that place countless times over the years, and fortunately, I've always kept on driving. I must be psychic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

villacud is right bar across the road is much nicer but no food

Not a terrible place to eat though annoying floor staff and since there's Goosers in Ballina not point going there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I've never been to this place but I am surprised by the posts on this thread. Wishing the man out of business! How about wishing he gets a better, cheaper menu and you can have somewhere decent to call in for some pub grub.

If all the contributors on here did not have so many posts, I'd swear you were all accounts set up specifically to have a dig at this place, so co-ordinated are the posts.

There seem to be more people concerned with a pub I've never heard of than with Dunnes or Tesco!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not entirely a negative thread, we recommended places in Ballina and Killaloe. Goosers in Ballina is a great spot.

It's a very well known place and on the N7 so lots of posters know it and I'd be fairly local to it so added my opinion.

Advertisement