Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matt the threshers bird hill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Not defending the place against what others have posted...... But was there a few weeks ago and had their breakfast. Was very expensive at €12 but have to say it was excellent. Real quality ingredients, fresh Oj, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

we were in MtT's yesterday. Had a good cheese burger and chips. They were out of Diet Coke, which was surprising. In and out in 30 mins, good food, good service, not too dear (definitely not a rip-off). Owner was his usual self: not rude, but not welcoming either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Maybe it has changed? - Great if it has as it used to be a great spot.

€12 for a really good breakfast is not too bad if quality ingredients are used. (I hate 5.99 breakfasts as the stuff is usually muck).

Though if you're not in a rush the detour down to Killaoe/Ballina is well worth it for both relaxation & food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chipman2007

@ McCaul

>>Where'd you get steak for a tenner?

Ta

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

@ McCaul
    >>Where'd you get steak for a tenner?
    TaC

Errr <Quote>..bought a four-pack of Gitster's Cornish Nasties today in Tesco for €2.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Sounds like the owner could do with a dressing down from Gordon Ramsey!! Could we nominate him for Kitchen Nightmares?! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

very interesting thread, this is a leter i sent to them last winter, indeed i never got a reply

To Whom It May Concern:

Having recently visited your establishment on the Dublin Road in Birdhill Co. Tipperary. I have felt obliged to write to you with regards to my severe dis-pleasure which both my partner and I experienced while dining there.

Having heard from friends that Matt The Threshers was one of the best restaurants in the region we felt impulsed to dine as we returned from the daily shop.

What greeted us when we arrived was nothing short of disgraceful. Firstly the hostess at the door ignored us as we entered and as we took a seat we were told in a not so friendly manner to “move”. The following is a list of points as to why I am writing this letter

1) After having been told by the hostess to “move” we were seated directly in front of door leading to a gale force wind followed by the freezing cold in our faces every time the door was opened.
    2) The gentleman that took our order was possibly the most ignorant fellow I have ever met in such an establishment. A smile goes a long way as do the basic table manners of saying please and thank you. Instead we got grunted at, had the menus grabbed from our hands and when he returned with the drinks they were slammed on the table in front of us
    3) When the food arrived we noticed our side orders were not there and when I told the gent we had ordered extra sides I had to check my shoulder to see if I had a second head attached. AGAIN we were grunted at and the food was slammed on the table on top of my cutlery and still 1 side order short.
    4) Our food was prepared with the care and attention of a back yard butcher. The grease poured from my meatball shaped burger as I ate and my partner’s salad quite literally swam in vinegar.
    5) Upon starting our meal while having a look around our seating position we couldn’t help but notice cobwebs on the pillar directly behind our heads.
    6) We were seated by the entrance where at this time a new host had appeared, an elderly gentleman who proceeded to cough loudly and stare at us as we ate.
    7) Having visited the toilet facilities I have come to the conclusion that this is nothing shot of a cesspool. Urine soaked floors, Graffited mirrors and broken toilet locks are not the kind of things you would expect in such a highly talked about restaurant.

But despite all this we still continued our meal the final straw being the lady at the end whom I went to pay for our food which we did NOT enjoy.
    Never in my life have I had change thrown on a counter in front of me left to pick up with out so much as a look in the eye, a please or a thank you.

Enclosed is a copy of my receipt and as stated above, your restaurant is highly regarded in some peoples hearts. Unfortunately in mine it is regarded as the WORST dining experience of my life and it will be talked about but for all the wrong reasons.

Disappointedly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I went there just over 2 yrs ago with my sister and our 2 small children, whilst we were both pregnant. The atmosphere was frosty to say the least. The food was passable, but expensive. Then i heard the owner on the radio shortly after that basically saying children were not welcome. So we dont go there, and it is a pity as we make 6-5 trips past per year and it used to be on the shop list, but anyone who does not want my business i wont force myself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Stopped in there one Saturday 3 years ago, never agin, one glass of wine, one 7-up and a look that would kill you. You would be more welcome in Hell. Now I go across the road to the far superior Coopers for a real Irish pub, locals chatting, GAA photos everywhere, polite staff and great Guiness... I highly recommend the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

I've never been to this place but I am surprised by the posts on this thread. Wishing the man out of business! How about wishing he gets a better, cheaper menu and you can have somewhere decent to call in for some pub grub.

He is not going to improve anything, since he has been treating customers badly for more than 15 years. I have had relatively good service there back in the very early days (1980's) when it opened as a themed pub, and also complete crap food and service there in the 1990's. Locals do not eat of drink there for a good reason.

If he goes out of business, then hopefully someone else will open it and run it properly with good service and good food.
    If all the contributors on here did not have so many posts, I'd swear you were all accounts set up specifically to have a dig at this place, so co-ordinated are the posts.

This is the Rip Off Ireland forum, and pointing out the negative about MTT is exactly what this thread was started for. So what exactly is your point?
    There seem to be more people concerned with a pub I've never heard of than with Dunnes or Tesco!

It is currently on the main Dublin to Limerick road and looks like a place worth stopping, which means it will suck in a lot of passing travellers. It also used to have a good reputation, however in my opinion it has been hit and miss since the start. It is perfectly justified to have a go a every place like this, in order to warn people off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I ate there this year two days after the Birdhill stretch of Motorway opened (in May I think?)

My mother and I were driving up to Fermanagh from Kerry and we decided to stretch our legs and grab a bite to eat. I remember it being the biggest rip-off ever and the steak I got being like old rubber boots, my mother however was delighted with her food so I didn't kick up a fuss so much as she was happy. The staff was Eastern European but poor enough, the place was fairly quite and now I can see why. Our meal which would have been a starter and main course for mum and my steak and a coke and coffee came to something like €55.

Rip-off and I hope this guy whoever he is goes bust when the new motorway opens up fully because to treat customers like this and to rip them off in such a manner he does not deserve to have such a business. In the hands of a right person with people skills it could be goldmine and win repeat custom; however it is now a catch when can and I will be going elsewhere in my future trips up through the Midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I know the M7 is coming but you're right, with a bit of work this place could indeed be a goldmine

I wonder does that manager want customers at all
    Sure Goosers in Ballina is off the beaten track and is mobbed during the summer.

If ever there was a badly run place with lots of potential that could be turned around on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares then this place is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

We travel from Dublin to Kerry a few times a year, and Matts was always the place we stopped, in fact we looked forward to it, both on the way and the return journey.

However, two years ago we stopped with our then 2 year old and were disgusted at the service and attitude of the manager. He visibly tutted at the sight of us coming in with a small child and tried to seat us miles away from anywhere so we wouldnt disturb any one else. We ordered food eventually and had to ask for it three times over the space of 45 minutes. In the end we left and had lunch elsewhere as my two year old was getting very impatient, as Im sure any of you with kids would understand.

NEVER AGAIN. Very bad experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Stop in Finnegans its nice and fast too..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sok11

was there a few months ago, same story, crap food, wrong price, bad atmosphere. Staff not happy. Jst a bad vibe all round.

the good news however is the bypass will put them underwater in no time!
    (if they keep this crack up that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hmm just saw there was a job in paper for here and googled it. After reading all this not sure if I want it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wondered whether the place was getting any customers since the new road opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I wouldnt think so. They were doing F all in good times on the old road. I was shocked the way he abused customers when I was there. I travel a bit and I have heard loads of stories about the place..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so. They were doing F all in good times on the old road. I was shocked the way he abused customers when I was there. I travel a bit and I have heard loads of stories about the place..

It should be renamed Basil the Fawlty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I stopped going in here years ago. It was a regualar stop for me between Dublin and Tralee. At some point the food went downhill and the prices uphill.

A good spot to stop is Racket Hall just outside Roscrea. The food is good and reasonably priced...and the staff are friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I stopped going in here years ago. It was a regualar stop for me between Dublin and Tralee. At some point the food went downhill and the prices uphill.

A good spot to stop is Racket Hall just outside Roscrea. The food is good and reasonably priced...and the staff are friendly.

Or as I remember years ago going to GAA matches in Dublin "The White House" in Roscrea always serving brilliant food, I haven't been there is a few years I wonder if it still exists? I have nothing but bad memories of the Dunkerrin Arms however in Offaly brutal place, understaffed and the food half raw when the coach would stop for a slap-up breakfast, the joys of having my own car now and the M8 motorway to Dublin has meant less culinary adventures along the road nowadays however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bit of a bump but as a local I can do it :p

Place still going but they got no Christmas party bookings
    Hardly advertised at all and when they tried it was mid December, that's far too late. Realy amateurish, you need to advertise and contact local companies and push for this business

A good manager could turn this place into a moneyspinner, even with the motorway it's still a prime location

This owner should get out of the game, there's a reason locals avoid the place.

Top spot, Racket Hall was always a good stop for people driving that route and it's popular with the locals too
    Motorway speeds up the journey of course but sure breaks are important on long drives. Great hotel and the staff can't be faulted :)

Nenagh Abbey Court is another good place if you get there during carvary.
    If you miss the carvary the barfood is good but service could be a bit faster.
    Nice hotel all the same and the value is good. Hotel bar but not realy hotel prices, would beat a lot of places in town

And both better options then Matt the Threshers

Noticing the thread-update, I was expecting to see an announcement that it was either closed, or sold to someone who likes having a lot of customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Place still going but they got no Christmas party bookings

Can you show me a place that did have Christmas Party bookings? - Christmas Party season did not exist last December for most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

mikemac1 wrote: »

Top spot, Racket Hall was always a good stop for people driving that route and it's popular with the locals too
    Motorway speeds up the journey of course but sure breaks are important on long drives. Great hotel and the staff can't be faulted :)

+1 on Racket Hall, decent chow, fairly priced and friendly staff. Good few locals go there too which is a good sign

Advertisement