Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs in Belfast

• 22-07-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm heading up to belfast next week wit the girlfriend, planning on staying in the Europa Hotel in the City, can you recommend any nice pubs to visit and suggest any pubs we should stay away from?

I was looking at the Crown Pub across from the hotel, whats this like?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm heading up to belfast next week wit the girlfriend, planning on staying in the Europa Hotel in the City, can you recommend any nice pubs to visit and suggest any pubs we should stay away from?

I was looking at the Crown Pub across from the hotel, whats this like?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Crown is 100%....ya even get to walk across "the crown" in the doorway as you walk in :D Great spot, although usually packed. Robinson's is 2 doors away if ya can't be bothered walking anywhere!

What are ya after? Somewhere quiet to have few drinks, somewhere bit bonkers, somewhere that has music?

TBH if your visiting oul Belfast you deserve to at least have a few in the crown to start yourself off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

Devastator wrote: »

What are ya after? Somewhere quiet to have few drinks, somewhere bit bonkers, somewhere that has music?

Hey, I'm up in Belfast at the weekend and I like old mans' pubs. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sammywilsonjnr

For something approaching an old mans pub you'd do worse than the Duke of York - not a spit on the floor place but not a plastic pub either. In fact I'd recommend this and the John Hewitt to both yourself and the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

+1 to John Hewitt....yum food too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Devastator wrote: »
    Crown is 100%....ya even get to walk across "the crown" in the doorway as you walk in :D Great spot, although usually packed. Robinson's is 2 doors away if ya can't be bothered walking anywhere!

TBH if your visiting oul Belfast you deserve to at least have a few in the crown to start yourself off.

Myself and the girlfirend are heading up for a few days. Is there any pubs I should stay away from in belfast city? I want to be able to relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sammywilsonjnr

Lexus,

Check out this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055489652. Asked a pretty similar question but descended into a bit of a, how do I put this in these enlightened days.... cultural debate regarding certain areas of the city and the possible reception visitors might receive if they weren't either 'one of us' or 'one of them'!

As regards pubs to stay away from - like any town up and down the country if you're not familar with the territory common sense or some sixth sense usually prevails when picking a watering hole.

As for pubs to head to I have to add Bar 12 to my previous suggestions - for a long time one of only a handful in the city that served Heineken on draught. Now that might not seem like a big thing in the south where its commonplace - but I moved here 15 years ago and for a long time was confronted by tap after tap of dishwater weak lagers and ales. Pubs like this were bloody saviour!

Anyway, enjoy your stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Just back, visited The Crown Pub, thought it was quiet rough and we did not get a good reception when they found out we were from the Republic , i'm assuming this is a very anti irish pub considering the name and the close proximity to Sandy Row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 forza athletico

i wouldnt have went to the crown bar for a pint anyway if I wer you. I wouldnt take it as "anti-irish", more Belfast ignorance. There's pubs in other parts of Ireland are a hell of a lot worse, Its like any city, there's good bars and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Anyone checked out 'Kellys Cellars' yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Anyone from the Republic visiting Belfast could do worse than drop into Kelly's. My dad and many of his friends go there. The Rotterdam is another one.

• Advertisement

The Rotterdam is a bit hard to find if you dont know the town well. Oddly enough, someone was telling me last week that it has closed down, cant confirm tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Magnus wrote: »

Thats a pretty good map, pity it doesnt show some of the GAA clubs to tho.

A pint there is usually £2:50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

is odyssey any good any more? was there years ago. going to newton faulkner in mandala hall and want to go out after.

is odyssey any good any more? was there years ago. going to newton faulkner in mandala hall and want to go out after.

The Odyssey still has the 'beach club' which is as popular as ever. If ya fancy a real late nite, 'Thompsons Garage' or 'Milk', run pretty late.

Advertisement