Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Fee

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Do you think with the way the economy has gone, the amount of people losing their jobs, the pension levy, possible cuts in social welfare payments etc... that the SU might want to reconsider this fee and whether they should be charging €180 even from students exempted from the €1000 university registration fee. I'm only saying this because, even though it's a small fee at face value, if you've no summer job and your parent or parents are both on the dole, have to pay rent/mortgage etc... it is a fair bit of a pinch. Any thoughts on a flat fee for involuntary membership of this 'union'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lol no. That money has already been spent and the student body voted for the increase. It will be very unlikely that there will be a drop in the SU fee without a referendum and seeing that such a fee drop would put a hault on the new student center which those who call for the vote to take place want I seriously doubt it. More likely that the college will lower financial support for the SU (any that it may get). I asked the same question in Feb/March and was told "not a chance" by some SU Sabat types back then. I also asked would there be a chance to re run the vote for the new SU center as financially everything has changed for students (no jobs, incoming fees) which also fell on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I presume we'll have to pay €1680 for next year then?

Is there any chance of the powers that be allowing us to pay this in installments? It is an awful big wedge to have to hand over afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 *littlestar*

The amount of money the SU recieves per student is no where near 180 euro. If you are refering to the student centre levy, the students of UCD voted to pay that 4 years ago. The SU dont have the power to override any student vote.

The amount of money the SU recieves per student is no where near 180 euro. If you are refering to the student centre levy, the students of UCD voted to pay that 4 years ago. The SU dont have the power to override any student vote.

No but they could call another one?

Three years ago when the Vote was called we were all incredibly wealthy . However with the onset of fees aswell as the fact that most students are now unemployed would it not be good PR to call another vote on the student center? It would be a great PR stunt from the SU because they would be "acting in the students interest" while knowing that no one will turn out to vote, it will not make quota and simply continue to be built. However it would take the class reps to make this happen in council and I have heard about how council works and I do not have much faith it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 *littlestar*

Actually its the students and not class reps who have the power to call a referendum. I think it would look foolish to have one since building has already commenced and students gone before us have already contributed so much.

If we are looking at saving money I think its better to question why the heads of Irish Universities are still receiving extraordinarily high wages and why the Head of UCC was the only one who offered to take a voluntary paycut in such difficult economic times. It appears that our Irish Higher Education Institutes are treated as businesses first and centres of education second. Students are no longer the prioirity.

• Advertisement

Actually its the students and not class reps who have the power to call a referendum.

Propogandist tripe. The class reps sit on council, the class reps propose motions to council and when voted upon by council are passed and acted upon accordingly. Thats like saying "well the government dosnt have the power to call a referendum .... the people have the power to call a referendum.

I dont really care about what the college does with the money I give them, they provide me with a top class education and all the facilities I need. If they dont I take it up with them and the college's support staff sort me out, eventually.

I do care about my money when it goes towards something that is a disaster of an idea. As you said yourself "students are no longer the priority" building a top class student center is. But hey... lets not look foolish its only money.Building a student center thats not really needed and adding costs like "the student center museum" looks foolish plus those who came before you will not use it so I dont think they will mind, either will I actually, im just resent having to pay for it when I know its not needed. My SU fees for the last few years would cover my car insurance for a year.

Three years ago I asked why I should increase my college fees to pay for something I dont want when Id rather an increase in my fees if it meant more books in the library. I was told "well they are different budgets". To me they all come out of one budget

MINE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

As Ricky from Trailer Park Boys might say: "It's fúckin' bullshít!"

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Sure the students who voted for the increase in the fee are probably not even in UCD any more!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If it's as basic and essential as the SU claim it is, it should be part of the university-provided infrastructure and available at no-cost to the students. Otherwise if it's a glorified debating chamber I sure as hell don't want to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

El Siglo wrote: »
    As Ricky from Trailer Park Boys might say: "It's fúckin' bullshít!"

Good to see another Trailer Park Boys fan on this board:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ado86 wrote: »
    Sure the students who voted for the increase in the fee are probably not even in UCD any more!!!

Ah don't start with that crap again.

The people who voted on it, had to pay for it and will NEVER use it.

Cheer up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

gubbie wrote: »
    Ah don't start with that crap again.

The people who voted on it, had to pay for it and will NEVER use it.

Cheer up

Excuse me, what has that got to do with current student money?

Advertisement