Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon 2 The Return!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

K-9 wrote: »
    Can I quote that post?

Then I can be cool?

I know voting No is cool and the sheeple are voting No because it's cool.
    Some cool man said voting NO is cool.
    You can quote it but I don't know if it'll make you cool :pac:
    Mrmoe wrote: »
    Any those are all excuses used by the Yes side to get people to vote for the treaty , these are all inaccuracies and they are hiding the real bad aspects of this flawed treaty behind it.

If people could tell me the real bad aspects of the treaty I'd be more than willing to listen. Unfortunately they have not been forthcoming. Btw, when I say bad aspects I mean ones that are actually bad and aren't only bad if you begin with the assumption that the EU is out to destroy Ireland as soon as it gets the chance.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I already voted on this. Why the **** am I voting again, until I deliver the correct result?

I'll be voting no, like the first time.

You're being asked to vote again because
    1. The treaty is important
    2. Every other country has accepted it (or will accept it as soon as we do to satisfy pedants)
    3. Only a tiny number of no voters could give a reason that wasn't a lie and/or fear mongering spread by groups who have been against every treaty since we joined the EU and/or nothing to do with the treaty such as a dislike of Fianna Fail
    4. We now have legally binding guarantees stating that the reasons given by a significant percentage of no voters are not true and never were.
    5. A significant reason given for rejection last time (42%) was lack of knowledge of the treaty but now people have had two years to familiarise themselves with it

Seems reasonable enough to me. Does it not seem reasonable to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Sam Vimes wrote: »

You're being asked to vote again because
    2. Every other country has accepted it (or will accept it as soon as we do to satisfy pedants)
    3. Only a tiny number of no voters could give a reason that wasn't a lie and/or fear mongering spread by groups who have been against every treaty since we joined the EU and/or nothing to do with the treaty such as a dislike of Fianna Fail
    4. We now have legally binding guarantees stating that the reasons given by a significant percentage of no voters are not true and never were.
    5. A significant reason given for rejection last time (42%) was lack of knowledge of the treaty but now people have had two years to familiarise themselves with it

Seems reasonable enough to me. Does it not seem reasonable to you?

Six months time. We have voted yes in the Lisbon two? Should we hold a Lisbon three?
    2. Only a tiny number of yes voters could give a reason that wasn't a lie and/or fear mongering spread by groups who have been for every treaty since we joined the EU and/or nothing to do with the treaty such as a love of Fianna Fail
    3. A significant reason given for acceptance last time was lack of knowledge of the treaty but people just did what they were told.

Sam Vimes, I appreciate that you have a rotten set of facts to work with. However it is impossible for you to argue that Lisbon must be rerun for reasons which, with a small tweaking can be used to argue re-running the treaty after a Yes result. We must therefore conclude, that unless the government wishes to run referenda on this issue until the end of time, that Lisbon 2 is nothing more than an attempt to ride roughshod over the declared wishes of the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 boredzeee

CCCP^ wrote: »
    I already voted on this. Why the **** am I voting again, until I deliver the correct result?

I'll be voting no, like the first time.

Because things have changed quite dramatically.

What are your views on divorce by the way? I personally think it should be legal but if we hadn't voted on it again and the first referendum's result had stood for time immemorial it wouldn't be legal.

Things change and people's opinions change. And don't tell me 'not a comma' has changed in the Treaty. That's right to a degree...but it either deliberately or accidentally misses the point. Ireland's situation has changed. Our guarantees do have a 'legal basis' whether the No side believe it or not and this will be put 100% beyond doubt in 6-12 months (most likely in Iceland's accession Treaty) when they become protocols and hence part of the Treaties if we pass Lisbon.

So that's one change and while the No side are going to use this line of argument as their main selling point if you scratch beneath the surface you'll see the context has changed, changed utterly.

Look, vote No if it's what you firmly believe. For me the only No arguments I can entertain our those given by Joe Higgins - a good, decent politician who holds very strong and principled beliefs (god I wish there were more of him on 'my' side!) that I don't agree with but can understand. He's an admirable fellow.

dan719 wrote: »
    Six months time. We have voted yes in the Lisbon two? Should we hold a Lisbon three?
    2. Only a tiny number of yes voters could give a reason that wasn't a lie and/or fear mongering spread by groups who have been for every treaty since we joined the EU and/or nothing to do with the treaty such as a love of Fianna Fail
    3. A significant reason given for acceptance last time was lack of knowledge of the treaty but people just did what they were told.

Sam Vimes, I appreciate that you have a rotten set of facts to work with. However it is impossible for you to argue that Lisbon must be rerun for reasons which, with a small tweaking can be used to argue re-running the treaty after a Yes result.
    But none of those reasons are true :confused: (except for the treaty being important)

Those reasons are your perception of why people voted yes, my reasons came from a national survey and were the actual reasons given. People stated in the survey that they voted no for reasons that were provably false. Besides which, in a representative democracy we vote people in to represent us and there is nothing inherently wrong in voting a certain way because the representative that you voted in to represent you in political matters tells you that it is good to vote that way, although I would argue that there is something inherently wrong with voting no just because your elected representatives say that you should vote yes.
    We must therefore conclude, that unless the government wishes to run referenda on this issue until the end of time, that Lisbon 2 is nothing more than an attempt to ride roughshod over the declared wishes of the Irish people.
    The problem is that the declared wishes of the Irish people were that they didn't want abortion, taxation and an EU army. The EU has listened to those wishes by never having anything of the sort in the treaty in the first place and would now like our opinion on the treaty, now that they know our stance on abortion.

If Lisbon passes and it turns out that it was a disaster, it's highly unlikely that Ireland is the only country that will think so. In that case the people of Europe can call for further changes to be made. Lisbon is not the last word in the EU. But of course that's not going to happen because it's all fear mongering. If Lisbon passes and when the implications become known there will be a collective cry of "What the hell was all the fuss about!!"

boredzeee wrote: »
    Things change and people's opinions change. And don't tell me 'not a comma' has changed in the Treaty. That's right to a degree...but it either deliberately or accidentally misses the point. Ireland's situation has changed. Our guarantees do have a 'legal basis' whether the No side believe it or not and this will be put 100% beyond doubt in 6-12 months (most likely in Iceland's accession Treaty) when they become protocols and hence part of the Treaties if we pass Lisbon.

What people don't quite seem to grasp is that, except for the change with how the commissioners are handled, all of the guarantees are already in the treaty. All they do is spell it out in simple language so that the groups who were spreading lies can no longer do so. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

The so-called 'guarantees' don't address the concerns of voters whose motivation isn't wedge issues like neutrality/abortion etc. but rather opposition to further centralisation of power in the EU institutions. That, to my mind, is the basic motivation of most no voters, whatever push-polls commissioned by pro-Lisbon interests may say. That is my problem, and in particular the EU's growing interference in our asylum and immigration policy.

The so-called 'guarantees' don't address the concerns of voters whose motivation isn't wedge issues like neutrality/abortion etc. but rather opposition to further centralisation of power in the EU institutions.
    The guarantees address the concerns of a very significant percentage of voters, far more than enough to swing it the other way.
    That, to my mind, is the basic motivation of most no voters, whatever push-polls commissioned by pro-Lisbon interests may say. That is my problem, and in particular the EU's growing interference in our asylum and immigration policy.

Yeah, don't mind why the no voters said they voted no, lets ignore that and pretend they said they did it for legitimate reasons :rolleyes:

edit: if you can call paranoia over the 'EU elites' a legitimate reason.

The guarantees address the concerns of a very significant percentage of voters, far more than enough to swing it the other way.

Yeah, don't mind why the no voters said they voted no, lets ignore that and pretend they said they did it for legitimate reasons :rolleyes:

The fact is that there have been a consistent 500,000 who have always voted no since 1992. That obviously implies opposition to further erosion of national sovereignty, rather than simply wedge-issue voters. I am not one of them, but I have come to the conclusion European integration has gone far enough. If you're confronted with a push-poll where you have to tick certain boxes that appear to channel you into a particular concern with respect to wedge-issues, then you can come out with a misleading poll-result.

The so-called 'guarantees'

Can you explain this to me? What is so-called about them? Whether you like to believe it or not they have a legal basis even before/if they become protocols. ...... It's fast becoming the most hackneyed phrase of the campaign. And it is deliberately misleading.

The fact is that there have been a consistent 500,000 who have always voted no since 1992. That obviously implies opposition to further erosion of national sovereignty, rather than simply wedge-issue voters.

Of course there are a group who have always voted no, they're called naysayers but the majority have always been for the EU thankfully. You will find that most people are for the EU and many no voters resent the idea that being against Lisbon means they're anti-EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

boredzeee wrote: »
    What are your views on divorce by the way? I personally think it should be legal but if we hadn't voted on it again and the first referendum's result had stood for time immemorial it wouldn't be legal.

You're right.

After the first divorce referendum as second one should have been held the next year, and possibly another the year after that if it was still rejected.

Should have had all the EU countries which had ratified divorce breathing down our necks at the same time...

Politicians should also have been unaminous in supporting divorce (regardless of their constituents' feelings on the matter) and given dire warnings about our economic position if divorce wasn't ratified (even though divorce doesn't have anything to do with economics).

A few multinational companies should also have gone on about how divorce would make Ireland a more civilised country.

Anybody who opposed divorce should have been termed a nutter, or ignorant of the positive ramifications of divorce.

We shouldn't have even had a vote on divorce. Ideally the politicians should just have ratified it. Damn constitution!

And most people are now saying that the overriding reason for voting yes is out of a sense of economic necessity. What does that have to do with Lisbon?

I am genuinely curious, as to whether or not there exists one single reason to vote no that you would find acceptable. You ignore any kind of question regarding how many times we will be forced to vote on this issue if we again vote no, but I'm hoping you'll answer this one.

And most people are now saying that the overriding reason for voting yes is out of a sense of economic necessity. What does that have to do with Lisbon?
    Business depends entirely on perception. A perception of Ireland as the people who hold up the EU because they don't like the government that they keep voting in, reject things out of fear without taking the time to find out what they're rejecting and stand firm in their ignorance in the face of overwhelming evidence is not conducive to external investment. It might not effect the economy but you can't say it won't and personally I, and lots of very senior businessmen, think it will

I am genuinely curious, as to whether or not there exists one single reason to vote no that you would find acceptable. You ignore any kind of question regarding how many times we will be forced to vote on this issue if we again vote no, but I'm hoping you'll answer this one.

I have this niggling problem that I insist that the reasons I'm given must be true. Mad I know

Tell me something you think the treaty will do, I'll tell you if it's true or not (if I can) and I'll tell you if it would make me vote no.

You're right.

After the first divorce referendum as second one should have been held the next year, and possibly another the year after that if it was still rejected.

Should have had all the EU countries which had ratified divorce breathing down our necks at the same time...

Politicians should also have been unaminous in supporting divorce (regardless of their constituents' feelings on the matter) and given dire warnings about our economic position if divorce wasn't ratified (even though divorce doesn't have anything to do with economics).

A few multinational companies should also have gone on about how divorce would make Ireland a more civilised country.

Anybody who opposed divorce should have been termed a nutter, or ignorant of the positive ramifications of divorce.

We shouldn't have even had a vote on divorce. Ideally the politicians should just have ratified it. Damn constitution!

So now you resort to mocking. OK.

I was just seeing if you believe in principle that referenda can be rerun without all this anti-democracy lark. You obviously want to try and confuse the issue and act patronising. That's fair enough, that's politics. Although I do find it interesting to note that you think you are being unfairly labelled as a 'nutter' and being talked down to when you reply with a post like that.

I can't remember how many years there were before each divorce referendum, but you're right it was more than 15 months. However, I think it's fair to say that Ireland has changed seismically over the last 15 months, probably more so than it has over the last ten years.

Who cares if EU countries are breathing down your neck? Who the feck cares?! Make up your own mind and vote according to your conscience, but don't do it out of spite!

I don't get what you mean about the MNC's...I don't think any are making the claim that passing Lisbon will make Ireland more civilised they're coming at it from a liberal free-market pro-business sorta angle. Of course MNC's couldn't really give a toss about divorce in Ireland but other pressure groups do so I suppose the equivalent lobbyists during the divorce campaign were the church v 'progressive' organisations......red herring anyway that point.

The last point is chip on the shoulder stuff. Sorry, but it is. Of course we should always base our laws on teh Constitution....and we always have. of course there are people on teh Yes side saying it would be easier to get it through the Dáil....but don't listen to them because they can't who cares what teh frig they say...it shouldn't have a bearing on how you vote.

But of course you just seem to want to talk to me in a derisory tone.

Business depends entirely on perception. A perception of Ireland as the people who hold up the EU because they don't like the government that they keep voting in, reject things out of fear without taking the time to find out what they're rejecting and stand firm in their ignorance in the face of overwhelming evidence is not conducive to external investment. It might not effect the economy but you can't say it won't and personally I, and lots of very senior businessmen, think it will

I have this niggling problem that I insist that the reasons I'm given must be true. Mad I know

Tell me something you think the treaty will do, I'll tell you if it's true or not (if I can) and I'll tell you if it would make me vote no.

You and senior business people think that it will. I can go and find ten academics within 200 yards of me, all of whom are pro Lisbon but none of whom feel a No vote would have a huge impact on the economy. So you are scaremongering.

Theoretical
    *I don't like the idea of QMV, if I could I would have it done away with altogether. I strongly dislike the idea of more decisions being made by QMV. I would prefer a system whereby all decisions were made by consensus, or the status quo prevailed,either or.*

Is this an acceptable reason? You cannot deny that Lisbon Treaty will see further decisions made by QMV, would someone not be entitled (in your view) to vote no for this reason?

Also, I love your condescending attitude. 'You'll tell me' whether I 'think' correctly. I've read the treaty, and have access to presumably all the online resources you have, so unless you wrote the f*cking thing, get over yourself.

You and senior business people think that it will. I can go and find ten academics within 200 yards of me, all of whom are pro Lisbon but none of whom feel a No vote would have a huge impact on the economy. So you are scaremongering.
    Am I? I don't know if I am. I've been listening to interviews from several people saying Ireland's reputation has been badly damaged since the no vote. If I thought there were legitimate reasons to vote no I might not be swayed by them but in the absence of a good reason to vote no and with the possibility that it will have ramifications for us, I'm swayed towards the yes side. Voting no to, for example, express your disapproval of Fianna Fail is just shooting ourselves in the foot
    Theoretical
    *I don't like the idea of QMV, if I could I would have it done away with altogether. I strongly dislike the idea of more decisions being made by QMV. I would prefer a system whereby all decisions were made by consensus, or the status quo prevailed,either or.*

Is this an acceptable reason? You cannot deny that Lisbon Treaty will see further decisions made by QMV, would someone not be entitled (in your view) to vote no for this reason?
    If someone objects to the idea of QMV, that would be a legitimate reason to vote no since it's actually in the treaty. Personally I have no problem with it because a consensus system makes it very difficult to get anything done. Democracy is supposed to be what the majority want, not what everyone wants. Consensus is a nice idea but impractical. Besides which, Ireland has never used its veto so it wouldn't have made that much of a difference to us.

I am pro-EU, I think it is good for Ireland and I don't think they are out to try to screw us by forcing their will on us through QMV. And if something is so bad for Ireland that we feel the need to vote against it, it's highly unlikely that we'll be the only people effected so we won't find ourselves alone in voting the measures down. QMV is a more democratic system, personally I don't like that a few hundred thousand misinformed people in Ireland (and maybe a few thousand informed) have been able to block something that has been accepted by the governments of 500 million people. That's not democracy.
    Also, I love your condescending attitude. 'You'll tell me' whether I 'think' correctly. I've read the treaty, and have access to presumably all the online resources you have, so unless you wrote the f*cking thing, get over yourself.
    you would think that people have access to the same online resources that I do but the constant stream of misinformation I'm seeing suggests otherwise.

Of course there are a group who have always voted no, they're called naysayers but the majority have always been for the EU thankfully. You will find that most people are for the EU and many no voters resent the idea that being against Lisbon means they're anti-EU
    I know. I don't think most no voters are anti-EU. We just don't want to lose our remaining independence. But the point I'm making is that in research based on a "tick the box" format, such concerns can have the appearance of being filtered out.
    you would think that people have access to the same online resources that I do but the constant stream of misinformation I'm seeing suggests otherwise.
    The reality is that it has been the no side in this debate that has been constantly quoting articles in the Treaty, whereas the no side rabbits on about the 'benefits of EU membership' which is not the question being asked. I actually did the bulk of the work on a politics.ie wiki on Lisbon before the site was upgraded and the work was lost in the transition, so I know what I'm talking about. I am not "misinformed". I have read it from start to finish, and I think I speak for many no voters in that respect.

I know. I don't think most no voters are anti-EU. We just don't want to lose our remaining independence. But the point I'm making is that in research based on a "tick the box" format, such concerns can have the appearance of being filtered out.

We're not losing out remaining independence, we're voting for a more democratic system where a tiny minority cannot prevent the vast majority from making a necessary change.

As for the poll, I bet you a dollar that had the results come out the way you think they should have you wouldn't be talking about the limitations of surveys ;)
    What other method do you suggest they use? Your method seems to be to assume that the majority of no voters had the same reasons as you

The reality is that it has been the no side in this debate that has been constantly quoting articles in the Treaty,
    sorry but that's just not true by any stretch of the imagination. You might be quoting articles but you are not "the no side". The reason I have come across the most is not liking the government or some kind of protest vote.

and which article states that the EU elites are taking our remaining independence btw?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I know. I don't think most no voters are anti-EU. We just don't want to lose our remaining independence. But the point I'm making is that in research based on a "tick the box" format, such concerns can have the appearance of being filtered out.The reality is that it has been the no side in this debate that has been constantly quoting articles in the Treaty, whereas the no side rabbits on about the 'benefits of EU membership' which is not the question being asked. I actually did the bulk of the work on a politics.ie wiki on Lisbon before the site was upgraded and the work was lost in the transition, so I know what I'm talking about. I am not "misinformed". I have read it from start to finish, and I think I speak for many no voters in that respect.

How come you are claiming we are losing 60 vetos (in your last post) then if you know the treaty so well. Surely you are aware that many of the areas coming under QMV are new such as the appointment of the president, and almost half are in areas that we have never opted in to in the first place.

• Advertisement

We're not losing out remaining independence, we're voting for a more democratic system where a tiny minority cannot prevent the vast majority from making a necessary change.

As for the poll, I bet you a dollar that had the results come out the way you think they should have you wouldn't be talking about the limitations of surveys ;)
    What other method do you suggest they use? Your method seems to be to assume that the majority of no voters had the same reasons as you
    By "the vast majority" of course you mean of the govts represented on the Council of Ministers/European Parliament and other EU institutions. But I am looking at this issue primarily as an Irishman, with Ireland's unique interests at heart. At times, they will conflict with those of Germany, the UK, France etc. When that happens, I want the comfort of knowing our Government (despite being spineless) can block unwelcome measures that contravene our interests.

The Helen Wallace (London School of Economics) study showed there is no gridlock in the EU arising from Enlargement. In that context, it's hard to justify the erosion/pooling of so much sovereignty involved in the abolition of 60 vetoes in the Lisbon Treaty. This is not about 'streamlining' or a 'tidying up exercise' (of which the EU seems to have another every 5 years). It is about turning the EU into a state incrementally. And that imho is the underlying reason why so many voted no last time. We have finally copped on that that is the name of the game, whatever the platitudes and patronising tones our rulers claim to the contrary.
    marco polo wrote:
    How come you are claiming we are losing 60 vetos (in your last post) then if you know the treaty so well. Surely you are aware that many of the areas coming under QMV are new such as the appointment of the president, and almost half are in areas that we have never opted in to in the first place.
    It's nothing like half. But understand this. The Government which claims we have an optout in the Justice and Home Affairs area has sneaked wording into the referendum legislation allowing them to surrender that optout. The relevant wording is in Paragraph 7 below, referring to the Protocol on the Position of the UK and Ireland:
    The State may exercise the options or discretions: (ii) under Protocol 21 on the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland in respect of the area of freedom, security and justice, so annexed, including the option that the said Protocol No.21 shall in whole or in part, cease to apply to the State, but any such exercise shall be subject to approval of both houses of the Oireachtas.
    I have posted the vetoes surrendered under Lisbon, below. Those in bold are the ones we theoretically have an optout from. But those related to Justice and Home Affairs come under the Protocol that the referendum legislation states the Government/Oireachtas will be allowed to scrap if we vote yes. As such, we will be empowering the Government to abolish the very optouts they claim we have with respect to JHA.

Vetoes removed under Lisbon:
    (1) Initiatives of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and
    Security Policy relating to the CFSP at the request of the European Council
    (article 15b EU treaty)
    (2) Common Security and Defence Policy: statute, seat and operational rules of the
    Armaments Agency (article 28D§2 EU treaty)
    FEU Treaty

(3) Freedom of establishment, access to activities as self-employed persons,
    involving amendment of the principles laid down by law in at least one Member
    State (article 47§2 FEU treaty)
    (4) Administrative cooperation in the area of freedom, security and justice (article
    61G FEU treaty)
    (5) Border checks (article 62 FEU treaty)
    (6) Asylum (article 63 FEU treaty)
    (7) Immigration (article 69a FEU treaty)
    (8) Incentive measures in the field of crime prevention (article 69C traité FUE)
    (9) Eurojust – structure, operation, field of action and tasks (article 69D FEU treaty)
    (10) Non-operational police cooperation (article 69F FEU treaty)
    (11) Europol – structure, operation, field of action and tasks (article 69G FEU treaty)

1 References correspond to the numerotation of EU and FEU treaties as amended by the Lisbon
    Treaty.
    2 CR 19.12.2007
    (12) "Derogations" in the field of transport (now absorbed by the common transport
    policy) (article 71§2 FEU treaty)
    (13) Amendment to certain provisions in the Statute of the European System of
    Central Banks (article 107§3 FEU treaty)
    (14) Measures in the field of culture (article151 FEU treaty)
    (15) Definition of the tasks and objectives of the Structural Funds and the Cohesion
    Fund (article 161 FEU treaty)
    (16) Council Presidencies – decision of the European Council (article 201b FEU
    treaty)
    (17) Court of Justice – establishment of specialised courts (article 225a FEU treaty)
    (18) Court of Justice – amendment to the provisions of the Statute, with the exception
    of the statute of judges and advocates general and the language regime (article
    245 FEU treaty)
    (19) Appointment of the members of the Executive Board of the ECB – decision of
    the European Council (article 245b FEU treaty)
    (20) Mechanisms for control of the Commission's exercise of implementing powers
    (replacing comitology) (article 249C FEU treaty)
    Qualified majority voting accompanied by supplementary mechanisms (Emergency
    brake)
    (21) Freedom of movement for workers, social security benefits (article 42 FEU
    treaty)
    (22) Judicial cooperation in criminal matters (article 69A FEU treaty)
    (23) Approximation of criminal legislation, offences and sanctions, possibly
    enhanced cooperation (article 69B FEU treaty)
    List of the new legal bases requiring qualified majority voting
    EU Treaty

(24) Election, by the European Council, of the President of the European Council
    (article 9B§5 EU treaty)
    (25) Appointment by the European Council of the High Representative of the Union
    for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (article 9E§1 EU treaty)
    (26) Financial provisions in CFSP - procedures for setting up and financing the startup
    fund (article 28 EU treaty)
    (27) Establishment of permanent structured cooperation in the area of defence (article
    28E EU treaty)
    3 CR 19.12.2007
    (28) Admission of a Member State to the permanent structured cooperation
    arrangement in the area of defence (article 28E EU treaty)
    (29) Suspension of a Member State from the permanent structured cooperation
    arrangement in the area of defence (article 28E EU treaty)

(30) Agreement for the withdrawal of a Member State (article 49A EU treaty)
    FUE Treaty
    (31) Principles and conditions for the functioning of services of general economic
    interest (article 16 FEU treaty)
    (32) Measures to secure diplomatic and consular protection (article 20 FEU treaty)
    (33) Citizens’ initiative for the tabling of a European law (article 21 FEU treaty FUE)
    (34) Arrangements for a mutual evaluation mechanism of the implementation of the
    Union policies in the area of freedom, security and justice (article 61C FEU
    treaty)

(35) Intellectual property rights and centralised schemes (article 97a FEU treaty )
    (36) Member States whose currency is the euro, common position and unified
    representation on the international scene (article 115C FEU treaty)
    (37) Sport (article 149 FEU treaty)
    (38) Space policy (article 172a FEU treaty)
    (39) Energy (article 176A FEU treaty)2
    (40) Tourism (article 176B FEU treaty)
    (41) Civil protection (article 176C FEU treaty)3
    (42) Administrative cooperation (article 176D FEU treaty)
    (43) Urgent financial assistance to third countries (article 188I FEU treaty)
    (44) Humanitarian aid (article 188J FEU treaty)4
    (45) Arrangements for the implementation by the Union of the solidarity clause in
    case of terrorist attack or natural disaster, where this decision has no defence
    implications (article 188R§3 FEU treaty)
    2 Note that most of the measures in the area of energy are at present adopted on the basis of provisions
    which already require QMV (Art. 95 EC, Art. 175 EC).
    3 Note that measures in the area of civil protection are at present adopted on the basis of provisions
    which already require QMV (Art. 175 EC).
    4 Note that measures in the area of humanitarian aid are at present adopted on the basis of provisions
    which already require QMV (Art. 179 EC).
    4 CR 19.12.2007
    (46) List of Council configurations (article 201b FEU treaty)
    (47) Operating rules and appointment of the members of the panel set up in order to
    give an opinion on candidates' suitability to perform the duties of Judge and
    Advocate-General of the Court of Justice before their appointment (article 224a
    FEU treaty)
    (48) Administration of the European Union (article 254a FEU treaty)5
    (49) Revision of the rules governing the nature and composition of the Committee of
    the Regions and the Economic and Social Committee (article 256a FEU treaty)
    (50) Implementing measures for the system of own resources (article 269 FEU treaty)

By "the vast majority" of course you mean of the govts represented on the Council of Ministers/European Parliament and other EU institutions. But I am looking at this issue primarily as an Irishman, with Ireland's unique interests at heart. At times, they will conflict with those of Germany, the UK, France etc. When that happens, I want the comfort of knowing our Government (despite being spineless) can block unwelcome measures that contravene our interests.
    And I would like the comfort of knowing that if everyone in the country voted for Fianna Fail, I could use my veto to overrule them. Unfortunately that's not democracy. The EU are not out to get us, they are not trying to screw us. Moving to QMV does not mean we no longer have a voice, negotiations are carried out long before it ever reaches the voting stage where our voice can be heard. A unanimous system just makes it impossible to get anything done because you'll always find someone with an objection. QMV might mean that we lose out on some things but it can equally mean that we get benefits that we are currently being denied because of objections from other countries. It's the beauty of democracy. And lets not forget that the really important things are still decided through unanimity.
    And that imho is the underlying reason why so many voted no last time. We have finally copped on that that is the name of the game, whatever the platitudes and patronising tones our rulers claim to the contrary.
    You see I don't have to give my opinion on why people voted no, I have a national survey that tells me why they did and the survey contradicts your opinion

Sam Vimes wrote:
    A unanimous system just makes it impossible to get anything done because you'll always find someone with an objection.
    The Helen Wallace LSE study proves you are wrong. The gridlock you imply does not exist.

The Helen Wallace LSE study proves you are wrong. The gridlock you imply does not exist.

So you're saying that the study shows that even without unanimity things would have been much the same as they are. Right so

So you're saying that the study shows that even without unanimity things would have been much the same as they are. Right so
    It shows there is already efficiency in decisionmaking and imho that justifies retaining the existing vetoes with respect to sovereignty. Too much centralisation of power leads to arbitary government. History shows that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Helen Wallace (London School of Economics) study showed there is no gridlock in the EU arising from Enlargement. In that context, it's hard to justify the erosion/pooling of so much sovereignty involved in the abolition of 60 vetoes in the Lisbon Treaty. This is not about 'streamlining' or a 'tidying up exercise' (of which the EU seems to have another every 5 years). It is about turning the EU into a state incrementally. And that imho is the underlying reason why so many voted no last time. We have finally copped on that that is the name of the game, whatever the platitudes and patronising tones our rulers claim to the contrary.It's nothing like half. But understand this. The Government which claims we have an optout in the Justice and Home Affairs area has sneaked wording into the referendum legislation allowing them to surrender that optout. The relevant wording is in Paragraph 7 below, referring to the Protocol on the Position of the UK and Ireland:I have posted the vetoes surrendered under Lisbon, below. Those in bold are the ones we theoretically have an optout from. But those related to Justice and Home Affairs come under the Protocol that the referendum legislation states the Government/Oireachtas will be allowed to scrap if we vote yes. As such, we will be empowering the Government to abolish the very optouts they claim we have with respect to JHA.

So their claim that we have an opt out is in fact 100% accurate then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

You see I don't have to give my opinion on why people voted no, I have a national survey that tells me why they did and the survey contradicts your opinion

Serious question. What is the name of this survey? I have often heard it quoted, but I am trying to find details online. I would like to know how rigorous it was and how it was conducted.

It shows there is already efficiency in decisionmaking and imho that justifies retaining the existing vetoes with respect to sovereignty. Too much centralisation of power leads to arbitary government. History shows that.

What it shows is that the voting is mostly a formality because all the negotiations are carried out beforehand where everyone's position is taken into account and everyone has their say. QMV just gives the EU the ability to go with what the majority want in the tiny fraction of cases where consensus cannot be achieved. It's not that big a deal and it's not an attempt to try to usurp our sovereignty. The fact is that there are a number of things that are better and more efficiently run at an EU level.
    dub_skav wrote: »
    Serious question. What is the name of this survey? I have often heard it quoted, but I am trying to find details online. I would like to know how rigorous it was and how it was conducted.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0911/1221039067528.html

btw, FutureTaoiseach's opinion that the majority voted no because of loss of sovereignty was in fact mentioned by 5%

dub_skav wrote: »

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Publications/Post%20Lisbon%20Treaty%20Referendum%20Research%20Findings/final%20-%20post%20lisbon%20treaty%20referendum%20research%20findings.pdf

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement