Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REMAPPED GOLF LOSING PERFORMANCE

• 22-07-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Could anyone tell me the problem, i have a 130 bhp golf remapped to 180 bhp, in the last few weeks it has lost power, people are telling me its a air flow meter/ sensor! i dont want to speculate wasted money as i dont have alot, recession hits big time!!! :rolleyes: cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

GT Tdi wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me the problem, i have a 130 bhp golf remapped to 180 bhp, in the last few weeks it has lost power, people are telling me its a air flow meter/ sensor! i dont want to speculate wasted money as i dont have alot, recession hits big time!!! :rolleyes: cheers

Disconnect your maf and go for a quick spin, if the power is back your maf is faulty....don't forget to reconnect it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Is it losing oil. I had the same symptoms with a golf, it was a blown turbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's probably the MAF - easy to replace too.
    i dont want to speculate wasted money as i dont have alot, recession hits big time!!!

It also might not be the MAF! Is there more smoke then usual from the exhaust when accelerating?
    Can you hear the turbo whistle (with the windows open, I can never hear it with the windows closed)?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GT Tdi

Confab you've hit the nail on its head! There is a whistle coming from it and it is giving out more smoke lately! Could you explain MAF? I dont know 1 thing about cars only driving! Cheers man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

More smoke it could be the turbo

• Advertisement

Confab you've hit the nail on its head! There is a whistle coming from it and it is giving out more smoke lately! Could you explain MAF? I dont know 1 thing about cars only driving! Cheers man

MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor, it figures out how much air the car is taking in and tells the engine computer about it.

Symptoms of MAF failure are:

1.Rough idle
    2.Power loss on acceleration
    3.Occasional stalling

The whistle is normal for TDIs (it's the turbo running), but the smoke suggests a something strange. If you don't have a rough idling problem I'd be thinking turbo problem. I doubt the MAF is responsible for the smoke anyway. I'm sure there'll be someone with more knowledge along shortly to pin the problem down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What colour is the smoke if its white or blue you have a blown turbo,you would know about that though there is a big difference between down on power and no power!

If the smoke is thick black,you could either have a boost leak or the pancake pipe from the intercooler has come off (located inside of bumper drivers side) again if it has come off completely you would have very little power,so you might have a boost leak somewhere.

I would go with the MAF suggestion and rule that out at least very easy to unplug it and see if there is a difference.

I've circled the maf in red in the picture below,the little pic shows the tab you need to prise up with your finger or a flat head screw driver to unplug the MAF sensor.

maf.jpg

I would go with the MAF suggestion and rule that out at least very easy to unplug it and see if there is a difference.

+1

Advertisement