Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pics of new Saab 9-5 leaked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Still too much GM DNA there I think. It reminds me of some kinda Cadillac from the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hmmm, i dunno. The roof line reminds me of the skoda roomster.
    It looks huge
    66954763_4c595d617d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

The rear is lovely but no pics of the front. Have they got rid of the silly spectacles look (chrome around the lights). That dash looks to have far too many buttons on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

it looks a bit like the mazada 6 to me. i hate the front lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

It's long alright - according to someone posting on saabsunited:

New 95: 5.008m
    Current A6: 4.938m
    New E-klasse: 4.868m
    S-klasse: 5.079m

• Advertisement

it looks a bit like the mazada 6 to me. i hate the front lights.

I can't believe they kept the chrome surrounds on the front lights after all the dame edna criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

looks like a cls at the back. Otherwise just a big insignia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Is that a 'woulda been' new Saab 9-5, or is really going to be made?

I thought Saab was bust and a name from the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

looks like a Mazda 6 and a Hyundai Sonata got it on!

EPM wrote: »
    looks like a cls at the back. Otherwise just a big insignia...

Not sure if i can see the insignia comparison - I know it's on a lengthened version of the insignia platform but if you compare pic 7 (9-5) and pic 27 (insignia) the saab has a very different front (looks like desparate dan) and the roofline on the insignia is domed, whereas the saab is graduated.

• Advertisement

Not sure if i can see the insignia comparison - I know it's on a lengthened version of the insignia platform but if you compare pic 7 (9-5) and pic 27 (insignia) the saab has a very different front (looks like desparate dan) and the roofline on the insignia is domed, whereas the saab is graduated.

Just the side profile is similar to me...and the bits robbed for the interior...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the interior is lovely looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Yeah the interior does look fantastic but I only hope its as good to touch as it is to look at. Some of the plastics in the current 9-3 and 9-5 aint up to much. I think Im gonna have to see it in the flesh before I pass judgement.

Apparently the sportswagon (estate to you and me) is a real looker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yuck. And what's with the horrible colour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Meh. I thought the original 9-5 was a very good-looking car, why did they have to progressively uglify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

There's no "wow factor" when you see it. It's not bad looking but I think I've forgotten what it looks like already. That centre console looks like a scientific calculator, way too complicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anything is an improvement on the outgoing OAP 9-5 even if the new one does look like a big Insignia.

Remember that this car was almost production ready when Saab parted company from GM. The new 9-3 is well under way and will still be heavily influenced by the GM parts pin too so it will be a good few years before we actually see any inhouse designed Saabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The rear seating area looks awful cold, sterile and plasticy. I like everything else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I think there is something very American looking about the side profile. Not sure if I hate it or love it, probably only decide once it's on the road.

Steering wheel, Gearstick and Handbrake button lifted straight out of the Insignia - probably get the same engine line up as well (nein spracken ze Duetsche).

I was talking to someone in Opel/GM a couple of weeks ago and the new 9-5, 9-3 and I think he said 9-1 are all more or less ready to go with the GM shared bits. I'd say we'll see that relationship stay around for a while if Saab survive as a brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's disappointing imo. The side profile looks awful, and i quite liked the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Saabs have been ugly for decades, its part of their appeal.

And thats why I love them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sandwich wrote: »
    Is that a 'woulda been' new Saab 9-5, or is really going to be made?

I thought Saab was bust and a name from the past?

Koenigsegg bought Saab. I wonder was this design done before or after Saab decided it wanted to commit industrial suicide.

How are they committing industrial suicide? Surely Koenigsegg is a lot more promising than GM. This car would have beem designed over the last 3-4 years so it was done under GM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Koenigsegg are the ones who have saved Saab from an early demise, I guess I phrased that I bit badly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Keith Bond

Just found these...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Saab-9-5/241784/

I really, really like this - I hope it's a good seller for Saab. Can't believe it's really been 13 years since the last one though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Very nice. All that chrome might take a bit of time to grow on people. Looks good though.

Theres a thread on this from yesterday

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055629134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Threads merged. You can report posts that should be merged as well by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

23799103643252356x236.jpg

Yuck to the whole car. Its dreadful.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

saabs have never been to everyones taste. The fact that a lot of people dont like it should surprise no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I like the buick in the looks way nicer inside and out that the other two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

My previous car was the prior model 9-3 - one of the best looking cars, imo.

Looking at these pics the thought that comes to mind is...

SAAB RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I think it looks great. Well done SAAB! The only thing it falls down on with me is that they've shamelessly nicked an Insignia steering wheel from the parts bin and stuck a SAAB badge on it.

I never understand why motoring journalists always have to overstate the age of a car. The outgoing 9-5 wasn't around till late '97, making it just barely 12 years old rather than 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I like the front - the monacle look is greatly diminished, and just enough sparkle. Not unlike Audi A8 tbh......the hint of Ice Blue in the lens is very .........Nordic :) 'sfunny, my Sportwagen has Ice rear lights........I like 'em.

Anyhoo, that windscreen sweep and tapering side glass is taken from the Saab 9x and later Saab Aero X concept cars. If you look at the Nissan GT-R, you'll see the same lines. I think it's a nod in the direction of 'cockpit' design (hence the 'Aero' link........) and Saab's aeronautical history.......

I also think it's nod back to the old Saab 99 and 900 sweeping glass designs..... Pic 6 of 75 kinda shows it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I never understand why motoring journalists always have to overstate the age of a car. The outgoing 9-5 wasn't around till late '97, making it just barely 12 years old rather than 13.

Whether it be 12 or 13 years old hardly makes a world difference though, the point they were trying to get across is that the old 9-5 prehistoric and should have been replaced years ago if GM were serious about offering Saab as a decent rival to the competion. The days of milking 12 or 13 years out of a model are well and truely gone.

Remember the old 9-5 was based on a 1989 Vectra floor plan back in 1997 so it was hardly state of the art technology even to begin with. It never had a chance of competing against the likes of the 5 Series or E Class, it was only really bought by dedicated die hard Saab fans and over 12 years these numbers have really fallen by the wayside. There isn't a single 2009 9-5 listed on carzone either.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There isn't a single 2009 9-5 listed on carzone either.

There isnt a single 2009 Ford Cortina on carzone either. Thats because they stopped making them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saab Ed wrote: »
    There isnt a single 2009 Ford Cortina on carzone either. Thats because they stopped making them ;)

But the 9-5 is still advertised for sale. The Car Sales Guide lists the 9-5 Griffen spec in 2.0T Bio Power and 1.9TiD, Manual & Auto, Saloon and Estate.

Saab Ed wrote: »

My local Saab dealer has at least 1 unregistered 9-5 on his forecourt. And the 9-5 is still listed on Saab's website too.

The last of the current 9-5s rolled off the production line about two weeks ago, so you'll still see new ones for a while.

The 9-3 is getting a facelift in 2011, but i think that will still be the GM 9-3 - it seems like it will be a while before we see a proper 'new' K-segg saab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    The days of milking 12 or 13 years out of a model are well and truely gone.

I yearn for those days to come back. It has simply gotten ridiculous at the rate manufacturers are replacing their models. Cars like the outgoing Astra are barely five years old.
    Remember the old 9-5 was based on a 1989 Vectra floor plan back in 1997 so it was hardly state of the art technology even to begin with. It never had a chance of competing against the likes of the 5 Series or E Class, it was only really bought by dedicated die hard Saab fans and over 12 years these numbers have really fallen by the wayside. There isn't a single 2009 9-5 listed on carzone either.

The 9-5 was based on the platform of the 1995 Vectra, did that use exactly the same platform as its predecessor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I yearn for those days to come back. It has simply gotten ridiculous at the rate manufacturers are replacing their models. Cars like the outgoing Astra are barely five years old.

The 9-5 was based on the platform of the 1995 Vectra, did that use exactly the same platform as its predecessor?

Back in 1930s USA they used to change the look of a car every year. Some even twice a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The 9-5 was based on the platform of the 1995 Vectra

The '89 Vectra platform to be a bit more precise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is it just me, or is there a touch of the Chrysler 300c / American car type look in the C pillar? I quite like it.

Advertisement