Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homebrew OBDII.

• 22-07-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Has anybody here ever used a cable like this one along with software to access your cars computer?

I'm thinking it would be handy to troubleshoot any fault lights on the dash etc..and monitor your cars performance if you were into that.

Anybody??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stick to VAG-COM from Rosstech. It is practically as good as the dealer tool for only 350 euro approx. I dont know how good the one you mention is but I doubt it would deal with modern stuff or perhaps may only access a few functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jawnuolis

techguy wrote: »
    Hey,

Has anybody here ever used a cable like this one along with software to access your cars computer?

I'm thinking it would be handy to troubleshoot any fault lights on the dash etc..and monitor your cars performance if you were into that.

Anybody??

It’s good just for engine diagnostics end engine fault deleting for ABS airbags and other ....its useless. For with car do you need that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

mickdw wrote: »
    Stick to VAG-COM from Rosstech. It is practically as good as the dealer tool for only 350 euro approx. I dont know how good the one you mention is but I doubt it would deal with modern stuff or perhaps may only access a few functions.

Was think of buying something like this myself, does it work on a wide range of cars or just VW and skoda

del-bhoy wrote: »
    Was think of buying something like this myself, does it work on a wide range of cars or just VW and skoda

Vag-com takes VW skoda seat and audi just vag group brands .........

mickdw wrote: »

Its not better have hand held something like this? http://cgi.ebay.ie/VAG-405-AIRBAG-ABS-IMMO-MORE-RESET-SCANNER-TOOL-com_W0QQitemZ180386409199QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item29ffde2aef&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1301|293%3A1|294%3A50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Did you use search?

There was a thread on this I think only last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hey,

Anybody??

Yup,

That ones an expensive USB --> Serial --> ODB-II Cable, you can get far cheaper ones.

On the whole ODB-II is just Serial, the only difference is that VAG-COM build the licensing into their cables so you can't use a third party cable beyond 2.9 i think ... been a while.

Anyways :)

Checkout
    http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/

Tried it out on my Skoda and it works fine !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm planning it on a Peugeot car. (2004)

A friend is a mechanic and plans on using it on a range of different brands. He has a source for lots of different diagnostics software.

@craichoe: carman looks cool..what platform does it run on? Do you have a N810?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

A friend is a mechanic and plans on using it on a range of different brands. He has a source for lots of different diagnostics software.

I have the older N770, works just as well though :)
    Carman runs on Maemo, which is a mobile offshoot of Ubuntu i believe.

but what you will get with this just engine fault codes and nothing more. if you need check just engine codes buy ELM327 but not this within your provided link there are cheaper stuff around like this http://cgi.ebay.ie/CAN-USB-Diagnostic-Tool-Code-Reader-Scanner-ELM327-Chip_W0QQitemZ170362665950QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item27aa67fbde&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1301|293%3A1|294%3A50 if you need check abs automatic gearbox or airbags you need at least something like SEALEY VS863 it takes all French brands quit cheap about 270euro plus its stand alone hand held scanner you don’t need any laptops

• Advertisement
Advertisement