Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be aware of scam on carzone.ie

Options
  • 22-07-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

he everybody!
    just to let ye all know that i was luking for opel astra 1.4 3dr (still lukin) on carzone.ie and i found one on really cheap price i contact that person by email and he replied me by saying that he is in uk army and going to iraq and want the quick sale thats y car is so cheap .....he said we will do the deal thru moneybookers i went on their website and it was seemed to luk perfect for me.... but when i got the email it was not from moneybookers but it was from moneybookersuk.com i was going to send money but in the last minute i rang moneybookers and tell them the whole story and they said they dont do car deals or anything like that and they dont accept money thru moneygram or westren union.God saved me.... otherwise illl be totally screwed...

at the end if anybodys selling opel astra 1.4 3dr 06 or 07 please let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nothing new in that scam. If its too good to be true it is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a gigantic carzone scam thread on the Motors forum. This kind of scam is rampant, buyer beware....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These scams are old hat at this stage, they are well documented.

The first sign in these type of scams is the really low prices compared to other similar cars. It amazes me how much people ignore their insticts and get blinded by something because it appears to be a bargin.

Another sign is that the phone number in the ad doesn't work or out of service so you end up doing all the communicating with the scammer through e-mail rather than talking or face to face.

Also the scammer usually gives the interested buyer some bull story about them working in another country, they took the car with them and now they want to sell it back home. It usually involves a third party shipping company or fake money broker similar to Paypal who will do the transaction on their behalf and ship the car to you. They look for a deposit to secure the car and that is the last you see of it.

The ad is a fake, the photos are stolen from a genuine ad and usually the description in the ad is either inaccurate or it is written in very poor English.

Do a search on the net for scam e-mails and you will get a good sample of these type of replys, they generally all have the same theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

jojo4_you wrote: »
    he everybody!
    just to let ye all know that i was luking for opel astra 1.4 3dr (still lukin) on carzone.ie and i found one on really cheap price i contact that person by email and he replied me by saying that he is in uk army and going to iraq and want the quick sale thats y car is so cheap .....he said we will do the deal thru moneybookers i went on their website and it was seemed to luk perfect for me.... but when i got the email it was not from moneybookers but it was from moneybookersuk.com i was going to send money but in the last minute i rang moneybookers and tell them the whole story and they said they dont do car deals or anything like that and they dont accept money thru moneygram or westren union.God saved me.... otherwise illl be totally screwed...

at the end if anybodys selling opel astra 1.4 3dr 06 or 07 please let me know

I'll keep my eye out for a rogue "o" key as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jojo4_you

I'll keep my eye out for a rogue "o" key as well.

thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never believe a bull****, sobby, quicksale needed story and especially....Avoid something like Western Union which can not be tracked like the plague.

Carzone is full of scams, stories ranging from "Quick sale needed because I'm going to Iraq" to "I need to buy your car quickly because I'm sourcing one for a movie". If it is too good to be true, then it probably isn't true.

A bull**** story should set the alarm bells ringing right from the off. As long as people are stupid enough to fall for this, people will do it. If you've any emails from them, I'd pass on the headers and any details to the fraud squad...presume it had fake plates in the picture.

There is actually a site with stories like this of email chains going back and forth, and lads basically winding up scammers no end. Makes for quite a funny read.

Advertisement