Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cro Cop back in with UFC

Options
  • 22-07-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Yet another twist in the love affair.
    UFC.com says Mirko fights Dos Santos at UFC 103, literally weeks after he expletived Dana straight after UFC99 and signed with Dream.
    Well apparently he hadnt signed on the dotted line and Danas boss (Franco whats his face???)flew to Croatia and made him an offer he couldnt refuse...:rolleyes:
    Sounds to me they want to see him pommeled and humiliated by Dos Santos after the whole UFC99 nonsense. And he just might if you ask me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

No chance pal.

Lorenzo did not fly to Zagreb and visit Mirko's house to talk the contract out for any reason other than they realise that he is a big asset to the UFC HW division.

If there's any pummeling that's going on at UFC 103...The Croatian Sensation will be the one dishing it out:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

sounds to me they want to see him pommeled and humiliated by Dos Santos after the whole UFC99 nonsense.

CroCop is a huge draw in Europe & will sell a sh*t load of tickets for the UFC in shows that they hold over here!

Dana & co. would love to see Crocop recapture his form & make a run @ the HW title.

This is the main reason ^,
    He is a huge draw and is a very good asset to their stagnant pool of heavyweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Yup. The reason they signed him the first time was his popularity. On form he's one of the most exciting fighters and if he puts a few more wins together he will get a title shot. As a long time fan I really hope he's up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Maybe you have a point lads, but I dont think Cro Cop is very comfy in the octagon (he said so himself). I cant see this ending too well.
    Anyway, there is enough talent in UFC heavyweight divison at the moment with Lesnar,Mir,Penn;),Kongo, Carwin et al.
    Who needs Cro Cop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Maybe you have a point lads, but I dont think Cro Cop is very comfy in the octagon (he said so himself). I cant see this ending too well.
    Anyway, there is enough talent in UFC heavyweight divison at the moment with Lesnar,Mir,Penn;),Kongo, Carwin et al.
    Who needs Cro Cop?
    Well two of them have fought twice already,lets say for arguements sake brock becomes the longest reigning HW champion in ufc history and beats kongo and carwin.....which leaves....Mir and lesnar 3...Not really something I'd look forward to seeing again for the 3rd time

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

CroCop has recently constructed an Octagon in his gym in Croatia for the first time to aid in his training so that shouldn't be an issue
    Anyway, there is enough talent in UFC heavyweight divison at the moment with Lesnar,Mir,Penn;),Kongo, Carwin et al. Who needs Cro Cop?

I dont understand your point here.

Surely the more talent in the division the better + IMO the UFC HW division needs to be strengthened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I would have thought the HW division was the weaker of the the divisions in the UFC, not the fighters themselves but the number of them, not sure how many fights nog or randy have left in them but after them and 2 or 3 mentioned who is there?

what became of herring after the lesner fight , injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cro Cop is a stud. He just needs to add some additional groundwork and cage tactics to his arsenal. In Pride there was far less clinching, in the UFC there is a lot more due to the cage. A training camp with Randy Couture would set him right, then he can climb up the ranks.

BTW he will destroy Junior Dos Santos.

IMO Crocop will run through dos Santos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

calex71 wrote: »
    what became of herring after the lesner fight , injured?

He was meant to fight Velasquez in Germany, but he got injured

From the sounds of it, Cro Cop got a very very good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mirko needs to go back to using the hands, this will win him fights on its own but will also make his kick less obvious-He started out in Boxing so is well capable and showed glimpses in his last match that he was going to start using it a bit more, i grew bored of him following lads around just looking for the big kick, If he uses his full arsenal to his capabilities he could cause major problems in the division, even for Brock.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

IMO Crocop will run through dos Santos.

Hell no he wont, id be giving this one to Dos Santos to be honest

I want Dos Santos to do it but I'm not sure he will.
    Hopefully the winner of Velasquez-Carwin will get a title shot

Tones69 wrote: »
    Hell no he wont, id be giving this one to Dos Santos to be honest

Unfortunately it's a difference of opinion unless you have a crystal ball. Personally I don't see dos Santas taking him down and Mirko is a far better striker. Don't let a KO over a heavy, slow and static Werdum let you over estimate JDS's stand up. He will be good but he has a way to go.

Unfortunately it's a difference of opinion unless you have a crystal ball. Personally I don't see dos Santas taking him down and Mirko is a far better striker. Don't let a KO over a heavy, slow and static Werdum let you over estimate JDS's stand up. He will be good but he has a way to go.

Obviously its a difference of opinion, I didnt realise I had to put IMO after everything I say ;) IMO Dos Santos will take it, and I dont think his standup is over rated or under rated, Hes a very good fighter , very tall and strong and moves damn quick too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

Brock is a very limited bully - take down and thump you into submission....

CroCop is miles ahead of him in technique and ability - but doesn't like to be pushed backwards (a template set by Fedor in their PRIDE clash).

As much as I'd love to see him KO Brock I'm not sure if he'd like that type of fight. The only reason Cro is back is that the heavy wight category is in tatters with maybe 2-3 possible PPVs available before the credible talent runs out.

CroCop is miles ahead of him in technique and ability - but doesn't like to be pushed backwards (a template set by Fedor in their PRIDE clash).

As much as I'd love to see him KO Brock I'm not sure if he'd like that type of fight. The only reason Cro is back is that the heavy wight category is in tatters with maybe 2-3 possible PPVs available before the credible talent runs out.

HW division isnt in tatters at all, 2/3 yrs ago it wasnt too healthy but it is real competitive now, kongo,Carwin,Gonzaga,Velasquez,Mir,Brock,Randy and Big Nog although both maybe very near the end of their careers.Pat barry puts on a good show too but had a sucky loss in his last outing. Also Heath Herring but dont know what way he is these days..Could seem some very heavy hitters coming after christmas from TUF ;)

I agree totally, he is a one trick pony but my god he works that one trick PERFECTLY, my man Mir got whooped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I want Dos Santos to do it but I'm not sure he will.
    Hopefully the winner of Velasquez-Carwin will get a title shot

DoJo -when does this fight happen? definitely setting the alarm clock for that one

• Advertisement

Brock's no more limited than most fighters. Obviously he has the wrestling that he excels in, but he knocked down Mir, Herring and Couture on the feet. Was he meant to let them back up after that? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Fozzy wrote: »
    Brock's no more limited than most fighters. Obviously he has the wrestling that he excels in, but he knocked down Mir, Herring and Couture on the feet. Was he meant to let them back up after that? :pac:
    Did he actually knock Mir down?? I thought he took him down in the first and Mir did a jumping knee and fell in the second? My memory is crap though so I'm probably wrong

Did he actually knock Mir down?? I thought he took him down in the first and Mir did a jumping knee and fell in the second? My memory is crap though so I'm probably wrong

In the first fight he knocked him down with a punch. It was after they had been stood back up

Some guys would have tried a possible submission as opposed to just lying on the guys... I know its very early days for him in MMA but given his ability to throw people around and to manuiplate limbs (as shown moving Mir's arms around as he wanted) I think he is very limited in his ground game.

(Then again maybe he just wanted to beat the crap out of Mir :P)

Some guys would have tried a possible submission as opposed to just lying on the guys... I know its very early days for him in MMA but given his ability to throw people around and to manuiplate limbs (as shown moving Mir's arms around as he wanted) I think he is very limited in his ground game.

(Then again maybe he just wanted to beat the crap out of Mir :P)

So should Couture, GSP, Hughes, Rampage, Griffin, etc be labelled as one-dimensional for all the times that they've gone for ground and pound rather than submissions?

And I don't recall Brock lying on Couture :pac:

So should Couture, GSP, Hughes, Rampage, Griffin, etc be labelled as one-dimensional for all the times that they've gone for ground and pound rather than submissions?

And I don't recall Brock lying on Couture :pac:

Steady there - thats a bit of a leap using Brock and GSP in the same breath! GSP is a total different class - technically he way better than Brock, he does it all - so I don't think thats a valid point.

Hughes, Griffin and Rampage can hardly be called one dimensional...

Couture has wrestling, dirty boxing and ground and pound (and time has caught up with him, don't forget Brock out weighed him and is 16+ years his junior!)...

Brock has nothing more than ground and pound (one dimensional). Don't belive the UFC hype - he is a great athlete... a great martial artist - No.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

There's not a huge difference between them. Both superb wrestlers who dominate their opponents through GnP. Both come in heavier and stronger than their opponenets too.

Kazooie wrote: »
    There's not a huge difference between them. Both superb wrestlers who dominate their opponents through GnP. Both come in heavier and stronger than their opponenets too.

In his last fight with Thiago Alves - GSP was sizably out weighed by Alves.. I agree in the Penn fight he was bigger but the guy is that good i don't think giving 20+ pounds to an opponent matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Steady there - thats a bit of a leap using Brock and GSP in the same breath! GSP is a total different class - technically he way better than Brock, he does it all - so I don't think thats a valid point.

Hughes, Griffin and Rampage can hardly be called one dimensional...

Couture has wrestling, dirty boxing and ground and pound (and time has caught up with him, don't forget Brock out weighed him and is 16+ years his junior!)...

Brock has nothing more than ground and pound (one dimensional). Don't belive the UFC hype - he is a great athlete... a great martial artist - No.

Couture was one dimensional when he started...he pretty much just walked off the wrestling matt and into the UFC.

Why are people comparing a fighter at the start of his career against fighters who have long careers and expecting some kind of match up?

THere is no ****ing way anyone could call the early Couture a "great martial artist" either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Dragan wrote: »
    Couture was one dimensional when he started...he pretty much just walked off the wrestling matt and into the UFC.

Why are people comparing a fighter at the start of his career against fighters who have long careers and expecting some kind of match up?

THere is no ****ing way anyone could call the early Couture a "great martial artist" either.

Actually Coutoure had Boxing and greco and freestyle Wrestling long before he done MMA so he was not just a 1 dimensional wrestler and thats why he favoured the dirty boxing as it combined the 2 and was quite unique.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement