Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh McDonagh's, why must you be so amazing?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

We have visitors from Candianaland right now so of course we took them to McDonagh's for Fish & Chips.

Unfortunately I now have enough gas to power a small village (I don't eat fried foods very often and clearly they do not agree with me) and we have such a small apartment that I have to go out into the backyard to let rip.

Oh woe is me :(

*gurgle gurgle*

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Have not eaten in there in about 2-3 years, got a few bad meals in a row (months apart) so just quit going there...will have to give it another try now that i've taken such a long break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I dont think that place is anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Indeed, it's just fish and chips that you get up and down the country. The plastic sticks you get in Superknacks has this town ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well I like the chips anyway.

But my guts are growling oh god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I've never been overwhelmed by anything I have gotten there, granted you get plenty but it's so so greasy! Don't see the attraction tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

You should try their fish curry. It's to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

dec25532 wrote: »
    You should try their fish curry. It's to die for.

Sweet lord I'm off to hurl......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Steyr wrote: »

This. Same goes for Charcoal Grill.

You get the feeling that a lot of people just rave about these places because of their reputation. Just sheep really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Greasier than a Frenchman.

Kettle of Fish is much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Steyr wrote: »

Agreed. Although I like the Chips

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Kettle of Fish is much nicer.

This is true.

Kettle of Fish's chips are perfection.

Crispy and brown on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, well drained, almost oilless when served.

Nom mo-f*cking-nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I few years back i used to get a bit of cod and a portion of chips every Friday at lunch for €3.50 and though it was divine. But it really isnt how it was then, it has gotten a lot greaser, still prefer the chips there to the kettle of fish, but the cod is v.nice in kettle of fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

FYI, if you're vegetarian, stay away from the chips in McDonagh's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

kraggy wrote: »

Yeah figured out about that a while back. We won't eat there again.

Wasn't that fond of the food anyway, it was good enough. Just really over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Eurochild

They've been living off their reputation for years, you can get lucky there but quality control is lacking. We stayed in a farmhouse in Wales over the summer and the couple who ran it had been to Galway and recalled McDonagh's with great fondness - which probably only proves that food always tastes better on holidays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

Well I for one have never come across finer chips, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

They do lovely breasts of chicken in there. Dunno what me try the chicken since i was in McDonaghs?!?! Also tried the hagus, it was grand for the first few bites but after that it just got a bit sickening. It's just like spicy pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I must admit I haven't eaten in McDonagh's in a couple of years. Back when I used to eat there regularly in college it was the only place in town that I found I could go in starving, get a plate of food and be unable to finish it because I was so full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

On the positive side, complete lack of crusties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Xiney wrote: »
    On the positive side, complete lack of crusties!

You're joking right?

Chips and onion rings, never seen them being munched in a frenzy of dreadlocks?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Why? Are they cooked in animal fat or something? My GF is vegetarian and she has eaten chips there lately. Oops. Better not tell her.

I have always found the place to be very over-rated. It looks like you get a huge piece of fish...but then you puncture the batter with the fork and it deflates to half the size. It's all hot air :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this place isn't great. I remember going there with some mates of mine who were in NUIG, having been told that McDonagh's is the nicest chipper in the whole of Ireland.

Can't remember what I ordered, but what I got was definitely bog standard chipper food. I actually remember thinking it was on the poor side of average.

Ran into another Galwegian at work recently who was ranting and raving about the food in McDonaghs. Her Dad and brothers texted her to tell her they were going for a meal there, and she was just "so so jealous".

I told her I didn't think the place was great, and she literally looked at me like I had two heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

they used to be cooked in animal fat but that ended years ago just good old sunflower oil now im afraid

Their curry sause is really tasty though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I think McDonaghs is absolutely disgusting, its incredibly greasy, more batter than fish and it turns my stomach.I haven't got a clue why it has a reputation for good fish and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't eat fish but I love to go to McDonaghs for the chicken and garlic sauce...yummy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

LoopyL wrote: »
    they used to be cooked in animal fat but that ended years ago just good old sunflower oil now im afraid

Their curry sause is really tasty though

I know a chef who worked there last summer and he told me that thye still use beef dripping, unless they have two vats?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I didn't rate the place too highly. I made special effort to eat there one day to see what all the fuss was about. Got the fish and chips. The fish was fairly large but the whole lot arrived on a small plate the fish hung off both ends of the plate and left little room for chips which where pretty good.

Found kettle of fish to be much much better. Although their burger is tiny and not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ofthebeststuff

It does my stomach right in, and I can't eat the portions. But I think the mackerel is super tasty when it's on. I like Kettle of Fish much much more in general, though they are both so expensive.

My boyfriend's mother loves McDonagh's, and when she's visiting on a Friday she often wants to have it. We went out to fetch some a few months ago and saw the line there and scooted over to Kettle of Fish instead. We didn't tell her and she was going on about how wonderful it was. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

galwaybob wrote: »
    Well I for one have never come across finer chips, anywhere.
    You would be hard pressed to in galway, but around the country the same chips are plentiful in small chippers. The chips are good like, yum yum, have eaten them many a time but there are definitely better around!

Used to love the rare times I picked up chips when I used to live in galway for the missus and me, particularly after a long wet day. I've never tried Kettle of fish, what are their chips like?
    Why? Are they cooked in animal fat or something? My GF is vegetarian and she has eaten chips there lately. Oops. Better not tell her.
    She would probably like you to tell her, or maybe you both should ask next time, I'm not sure if they are veggie friendly, they used not to be. Only found out after I moved away. Guess I should have asked as both me and the then missus are veggie.
    Whoops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She would probably like you to tell her, or maybe you both should ask next time, I'm not sure if they are veggie friendly, they used not to be. Only found out after I moved away. Guess I should have asked as both me and the then missus are veggie.
    Whoops.
    How will the cows ever forgive you? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement