Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SD Card unable to play certain .mp3 files

• 22-07-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Not sure if this forum is correct but it's probably my best chance of getting an answer.

Basically for my musical enjoyment in my car I have an SD Reader in my Audi Sat Nav Display, however when I put new songs on it sometimes it will be able to play them other times it won't. It will either display the track and just skip it when I try and play it or else the track won't show up on the display at all.

I would be satisfied if someone could help me solve the problem, or could explain to me why it happens. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

Id say did you try formatting the card and putting the files on it again?
    Also did you check if the reader can read ALL formats i.e fat-fat32-nfts

And finally on a quick google:

The RNS-E can only handle 512 "objects" (folders plus files) per card.

So if you have 10 folders each with 10 MP3 files in them plus 10 M3U playlist files in the root folder you have:

100 MP3 files
    10 folders
    10 M3U playlists

120 "objects" out of the 512 limit

The other limit is that the pathname of each file must be no more than 64 characters. So an MP3 file called ThisIsAnExtremelyLongFileName.mp3 (33 characters) in a folder called ThisIsAnExtremelyLongAlbumName (30 characters) would have a pathname length of 33+30+2 (the / delimiters) =65 characters so the RNS-E wouldn't play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

jeffk wrote: »
    Id say did you try formatting the card and putting the files on it again?
    Also did you check if the reader can read ALL formats i.e fat-fat32-nfts

And finally on a quick google:

The RNS-E can only handle 512 "objects" (folders plus files) per card.

So if you have 10 folders each with 10 MP3 files in them plus 10 M3U playlist files in the root folder you have:

100 MP3 files
    10 folders
    10 M3U playlists

120 "objects" out of the 512 limit

The other limit is that the pathname of each file must be no more than 64 characters. So an MP3 file called ThisIsAnExtremelyLongFileName.mp3 (33 characters) in a folder called ThisIsAnExtremelyLongAlbumName (30 characters) would have a pathname length of 33+30+2 (the / delimiters) =65 characters so the RNS-E wouldn't play it.

Thanks for your help, I had already formatted the drive, and also had lots of subfolders because I'm aware of the problems with storing files in the root directory or overcrowding folders, I think some of the track titles were too long, they weren't going over 64 characters but they were over 32 so maybe that's the threshold, got all the music I wanted working away anyway, which is great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

Dave147 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, I had already formatted the drive, and also had lots of subfolders because I'm aware of the problems with storing files in the root directory or overcrowding folders, I think some of the track titles were too long, they weren't going over 64 characters but they were over 32 so maybe that's the threshold, got all the music I wanted working away anyway, which is great :)

Ah no worries good to see you got your tunes going in the car, cant do without them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

bit rates might be an issue also ?

I have known older players to be funny with variable or very hight bit rate tracks. Most modern ones aint an issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

calex71 wrote: »
    bit rates might be an issue also ?

I have known older players to be funny with variable or very hight bit rate tracks. Most modern ones aint an issue though.

Don't think so, my sat nav unit is 2005 model so it should be well able, plus most of my music is very high quality.. Only the best for an audi you know :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement