Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7RC1-No ATI drivers?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes it anyway.

I finally managed to get my hands on a working dvd drive so I could install windows 7 RC. I used the old 7000 build with my old machine(with an ATI card) and everything was fine.

Last night I installed 7RC1 x64. All went well while it was installing but when it got to the stage where it would boot into windows, the display went dead! I'm sure this must be a driver issue because it was displaying all of the 8bit stuff fine. Once it got to the point where it would be booting into windows from the HDD and(presumably) loading default gpu drivers the computer seems to have crapped itself.

The disk was burned a good few weeks ago when the RC just came out, but I doubt they have put more drivers on it since then. Anyone got any ideas what the problem may be? I have an old PCI-E ATI x1300 Pro(Currently running a sapphire 4850x2 1GB).

Should I try the install the old card and give it a shot? I'm almost 100% sure this is something to do with the GPU because everything seems to be booting fine when it's loading windows, HDD lights are flashing, HDDs are spinning etc etc. It all seems normal except for my monitor getting no signal and going into sleep..

EDIT: Also this isn't a power issue. I have XP on my other HDD and it still boots into that fine and I can play games or stress test for hours and it wont crash/overheat etc

EDIT Again: Everything is at stock speeds for the time being. No overclocking, I installed a new CPU last night but I ran it under XP for a few hours before installing 7 on a different HDD. Also the HDD I'm using was once my C:\ drive so it has been running fine for a good few months.

EDIT(Last one I swear): I've asked around and found out this is supposedly an issue with ATI 4800 cards.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=96981&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Something related to the above link, anyone ever had to deal with this? I've been told that a DVI-VGA converter will sort it out. I think I have one at home so I'll give it a shot anyway. Would still love some feedback on this if anyone is interested :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

But did you as far installing the custom ATI drivers? Or was it just after installing windows that it crapped out? Is there any Boot Screens displayed at all?

If you did not get as far as installing the ATI drivers it is probably not an issue with the GPU drivers as the default windows display adapters would be being used not ATI specific ones.

I suppose change the card anyway to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

It crapped out at the end of the OS install. Never saw the desktop or log in screen.

I'm thinking its a problem with the windows defaults. But those should be set up to run on my card no? Or should it be the other way around(ATI setting cards so they can use default drivers).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It crapped out at the end of the OS install. Never saw the desktop or log in screen.

I'm thinking its a problem with the windows defaults. But those should be set up to run on my card no? Or should it be the other way around(ATI setting cards so they can use default drivers).

Should work with the default drivers no problem. It sounds more like a borked install to be honest, but best to stick the other card in first, to rule out a card issue I suppose.

I tried the install twice to no avail. I'm stuck in work but I'll give it a shot tonight. If I can get it to display with the x1300 then I can just update the drivers to 9.6 and (hopefully) slap the good card in.

That DVI-VGA cable is something I'll have to try too, but I have no clue why that would be effecting anything.

I tried the install twice to no avail. I'm stuck in work but I'll give it a shot tonight. If I can get it to display with the x1300 then I can just update the drivers to 9.6 and (hopefully) slap the good card in.

That DVI-VGA cable is something I'll have to try too, but I have no clue why that would be effecting anything.

You didn't mention, can you see the anything on the screens before the OS boot kicks in?

• Advertisement

From the power button to the signal drop it goes

BIOS/POST
    Windows loading
    Very slight stutter
    Signal dead, monitor goes to stand by.

Its puzzling because it displays all the 8bit stuff fine. Once it actually starts trying to use the GPU it fails..

That's what I can make of it anyway.

EDIT: That stuttering could mean something but I've seen it loads of times when my computer would start loading windows, that was with XP and it was fine.

Advertisement