Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney Job Market

Options
  • 23-07-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

does anybody know what the job situation in sydney is like? will consider anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its affected like the rest of the world, but in a lesser way. What visa do you have? You time that you can spend working will impact what an employer will give you.
    They want people for the long haul at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its affected like the rest of the world, but in a lesser way. What visa do you have? You time that you can spend working will impact what an employer will give you.
    They want people for the long haul at the moment.

there is some work in the construction labouring area , you just need to get out there and find it , people say that they cant get work , if you look hard enough you will get something ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

When I first arrived Oz was in the middle of some media whipped up fake recession. A handful of jobs were lost in one or two factories and all of a sudden people called off construction jobs, offices stopped hiring, basically nothing was happening. I only worked about one third of days I should have been working until late April early May, there was FA about. It seems to have improved a bit now though, fact is Australia never was in recession, and quite possibly never will be in the current whack. Construction is back up again, dont know how office recruiting is going mind.

Tip 1: dont go near any commission based jobs. They are run by slimy cnuts who sell you the world and have you thinking hard work will pull in a grand a week, when in reality they are a form of free advertising where 90% of people will make next to nothing in it. If it sounds too good thats because it sure as hell fcuking is, time and money wasters the lot of them.

Tip 2: Hit the job websites early morning, particularly Monday and Friday between 9 and 1, then again in the afternoon. Seems to be the time when HR depts advertise positions. Apply for EVERYTHING. 10 windows open at a time, just submit submit!

3: Spend a few hours researching every referral agency you can find in the CBD and spend the day (or two) visiting each one in person and registering, rather than doing it online or by phone. Australian job agencies wont let you wipe your arse without watching 30 minute videos on safe workplaces (especially if warehouse/ site related) and then doing a quiz later. Tedious stuff, but it has to be done.

Also, I dont know how anyone ever gets work for any Aussie chain stores. Try hand in your CV in nearly any Sydney clothing, electronics, supermarket, restaurant etc etc and the gaffer will tell you to do it online. Store managers dont personally handle recruitment, head office sends them new staff.

To make it worse, at my very lowest depths I tried for McDonalds and Coles (Coles being like Tesco or Dunnes back home). The McDonalds online application takes about 20 feckin minutes to complete, only allows you to apply for 3 stores at a time, and is more of a psych evaluation than a job interview (full of "what would you do..." sh1te). Spent another 20 mins filling out the Coles one after which it auto informed me it only wants people with longer than a one year visa, even though Id answered that one 20 mins before :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DavidCarroll

its just a one year visa. some good advice there. thanks guys.job market sounds pretty competive all the same. as i wouln't mind staying out there a few years and dont have much going on here. thinking i might apply for permanent visa. does anybody know are they difficult to get?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You will only get a perm visa if a) you have a skill they want b) you get sponsored c) marry an Ozzie

Do you have a skill they might want?

This question has been asked loads of times so do a search.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    You will only get a perm visa if a) you have a skill they want b) you get sponsored c) marry an Ozzie

Ive heard word that if you manage to hang around here for a long enough period (say, 2 years on WHV, then do a few years on student visas) they can approve you based on having been resident here for so long?

20 hours a week is a pretty pathetic amt of time to be allowed to work on a student visa mind, I cant imagine anyone sticks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

shane86 wrote: »
    Ive heard word that if you manage to hang around here for a long enough period (say, 2 years on WHV, then do a few years on student visas) they can approve you based on having been resident here for so long?

20 hours a week is a pretty pathetic amt of time to be allowed to work on a student visa mind, I cant imagine anyone sticks to it.

:D:D:D
    haha if only. would depend on what you study. they dont just give out residency just because your a good sort. many have gone head first in to full time study just to find out at end they cant even apply for residency.

not directed at you but some posters on here seem to think they are dealing with a 3rd world stone age country. this week alone questions wondering if you change your name on your passport to the Orish version would it trick DIAC etc etc.
    Australia has one of the toughest but fairest immi policies in the developed world. they make allowances for all sorts of applicants but , be it, skilled independent, sponsored, de facto etc its a strict road to the promised land.

myhorse wrote: »
    not directed at you but some posters on here seem to think they are dealing with a 3rd world stone age country. this week alone questions wondering if you change your name on your passport to the Orish version would it trick DIAC etc etc.

You are surprised? Granted, immigration seem to have their head screwed on but seeing as Oz is probably by a long mile the ditzyest most disorganised country in the developed world you cant blame people for thinking twould be easy to scam!

Dunno though, I think hanging for several years and getting a skill might be a way around it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ophelia09

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to go to Australia,

How and where do you go to even apply for a VISA because I really don't know, Is there a USIT headquarters or something that I could go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MB81

got mine in june from visafirst.com and did it all online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

don't use visafirst
    use
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/apply-online.htm

the cheapest and quickest way to do it, Visa first will add a load of euro on the price and they will get you to fill out the same form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

+1 hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

You are surprised? Granted, immigration seem to have their head screwed on but seeing as Oz is probably by a long mile the ditzyest most disorganised country in the developed world you cant blame people for thinking twould be easy to scam!

Dunno though, I think hanging for several years and getting a skill might be a way around it?

Sorry, did you say that Australia is the ditziest most disorganised country in the developed world? If you've never been there, then you can't be sayin that.

When you do go, just compare the way the Aussies organise roundabouts on the roads, to the way the Irish do. Tried the Kinsale roundabout in Cork lately?

Have a look at the way car insurance and the NCT are run here.

Look at the way the M50 roadworks are being managed.

Actually, hell, look at the way the Irish government, banks and big business are r@ping the country, and have been for the last 10 years. The country has been bled dry. Is Australia in a recession so big that it'll take at least 2 generations to repair it, with taxes so high that people want to leave in their droves?

Who's disorganised?

603304529 wrote: »

Who's disorganised?

The Aussies. By a thousand miles. The reason the economy here has narrowly survived is because they have had the good fortune of the most organised man in the country being prime minister. Apart from that one they are shocking (actually, come to think of it the Socceroos were a well oiled functioning machine last night, but then again the gaffer is Dutch ;) )

Seeing as you seem to oppose the view so much, you do know that the term The Lucky Country was coined by an Aussie journalist who said their economic prosperity was more to do with pure luck then any sort of German- like organisational ability?

But anyway, we are getting sidetracked, take that one to the we do stuff better thread. :) Sydney jobs, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

The Aussies. By a thousand miles. The reason the economy here has narrowly survived is because they have had the good fortune of the most organised man in the country being prime minister. Apart from that one they are shocking (actually, come to think of it the Socceroos were a well oiled functioning machine last night, but then again the gaffer is Dutch ;) )

Seeing as you seem to oppose the view so much, you do know that the term The Lucky Country was coined by an Aussie journalist who said their economic prosperity was more to do with pure luck then any sort of German- like organisational ability?

But anyway, we are getting sidetracked, take that one to the we do stuff better thread. :) Sydney jobs, etc....

Wow! What an intelligent response. Nice examples etc. You defo won that discussion....

You defo won that discussion....

Goes without saying. :) A country where you can be hit by a car flying out of a foothpathside parking garage whilst on your way to complete a course on how to safely sell alcohol needs some serious checking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Wow! What an intelligent response. Nice examples etc. You defo won that discussion....

You sure as hell didn't..

Advertisement