Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't ya just hate...

• 23-07-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

...when the current fashion is for something you absoloutly abhore but you can't get away from it because every highstreet shop is following sheeplike the trend?
    For me it's the dreaded 'slim fit' shirt. I am not designed for slim fit. I don't do slim. I want a full shirt, fitting at the neck, sleeve length and length of body and I want it substantial, loose fitting, billowing even.
    The cynic in me tell me that the only reason 'slim fit' is in the shops is because the manufactures are saving on materials.
    I realise that 'slim fit' is just of the moment and will eventually pass but that moment is illimitably long.

I realise I have to turn this little rant into a forum kinda question so what, in your opinions, is the worst of the current trends in fashion? Is there something out there that everyone else seems to love that you just refuse to accept?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Those poxy bubble skirt things :mad: I would love to find whoever thought they would be a good idea and kick them in the hole!!
    Why? Why would anyone think a skirt/dress that makes your hips look bigger be a good idea?

Everyone hates those shiny leggings, I have about 10 pairs of black ones, that have lost their shine and become matte and more leathery looking. I can't afford leather trousers at the moment :( But my legs are about the only thing I like about me, so I like showing them off and they look well in the leggings.
    I started wearing them well before they were in Penneys and everyone was like WTF are you wearing?? Next week I go up to the pub and they all have them on.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

YT wrote: »
    Next week I go up to the pub and they all have them on.
    Ahhhh, the perils of trend-setting. Worthy of a thread all of it's own. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Ahhhh, the perils of trend-setting. Worthy of a thread all of it's own. :)

Haha! I wouldn't call myself a trend setter! Far from it, but I know what you mean. Indeed it does deserve a thread of it's own.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Footless tights! wear leggings or tights! not a combo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Everyone hates those shiny leggings, I have about 10 pairs of black ones, that have lost their shine and become matte and more leathery looking. I can't afford leather trousers at the moment :( But my legs are about the only thing I like about me, so I like showing them off and they look well in the leggings.
    I started wearing them well before they were in Penneys and everyone was like WTF are you wearing?? Next week I go up to the pub and they all have them on.

I liked them before you could get them in shops too. Once they came to Ireland and everyone was wearing them they lost their appeal.

I don't really notice when shops are full of trends because I hate shopping in shops so I avoid them. If I do go into them I walk in the door, look around, and instantly know whether I like anything or not. I just buy all my clothes online. I don't have a clue what's in fashion right now.

Poor OldGoat though. That must be a pain. A shirt is something that needs to be tried on and can't just be bought online really. :(

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »
    Poor OldGoat though. That must be a pain. A shirt is something that needs to be tried on and can't just be bought online really. :(
    Oh it's not that bad Janey. I get most of my shirts made and sent to me from a couple of online sources. A bit of trial and error till they and I agreed on what I want. But on occasions a man just needs to buy a shirt from a shop for those occasions when only a new shirt will do and he can't wait for three weeks for delivery. At those moments I have to face the fact that even my in favourite shirt shops most of the stock will be fuppidy slim fit.
    At least the 'stripey' shirt craze seems to have passed. Phew! :)

At least the 'stripey' shirt craze seems to have passed. Phew! :)

Could somebody tell the stripey shirt brigade this? :D

I liked them before you could get them in shops too. Once they came to Ireland and everyone was wearing them they lost their appeal.

I don't really notice when shops are full of trends because I hate shopping in shops so I avoid them. If I do go into them I walk in the door, look around, and instantly know whether I like anything or not. I just buy all my clothes online. I don't have a clue what's in fashion right now.

I'm afraid to buy online in case they don't fit. Can you send them back? Do they charge you to send them back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I tend to stay away from fleeting fashion trends because i hate wearing what half the town has on and the clothes go out of fashion so fast. better to have your own taste and style and maybe get a few nice pieces that won't go out of fashion as quick as 'treggings' or 'jeggings' for example :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I hate those smock/shift dresses. I'm curvy. Boobs and hips, they do zilch for me...theyre starting to go out now but you still see the odd throwback. And now its all these tshirts and tops that are baggy at the bottom, or the cropped tops you see in topshop. Not made for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I can't escape luminous yellow/orange/pink/blue/green/every other colour. :(

Or those pencil super-skinny jeans. Whatever happened to a nice pair of bootcut jeans? Srsly??

And those tops and dresses that make me look pregnant. I know they look good on some people but i just look huuuuge in them.

"Fashion" makes me sad. No point in trying to but in shops anymore tbh, online shopping ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Poor OG. :(

It must be trying for you to get a shirt that fits well while sifting through the aisles.

I'm a casual/regular guy, jeans and tshirts like. However there are some very nice fitting shirts in NEXT and I have purchased a few recently.

The slim-fit. I often wondered why you don't see any Burger King adverts on the NEXT website. That goes for Jack & Jones aswell. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I hate those smock/shift dresses. I'm curvy. Boobs and hips, they do zilch for me...theyre starting to go out now but you still see the odd throwback.

+1 million, I just looked like I was trying to hide a massive baby bump in them. Even with a belt on the material tended to flair up over the top of the belt leaving me with boobs that appeared to stretch from my neck to my waist a lá Lola Ferrari. Was a truly heartbreaking time when that was all that was in the shops.

DenMan wrote: »
    Poor OG. :(

It must be trying for you to get a shirt that fits well while sifting through the aisles.

I'm a casual/regular guy, jeans and tshirts like. However there are some very nice fitting shirts in NEXT and I have purchased a few recently.

The slim-fit. I often wondered why you don't see any Burger King adverts on the NEXT website. That goes for Jack & Jones aswell. ;)

Hey Den, what are you doing here amongst the well heeled and sartorial elegant?
    So these slimfit shirts you got in on the highstreet...were they stripey by any chance? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey Den, what are you doing here amongst the well heeled and sartorial elegant?
    So these slimfit shirts you got in on the highstreet...were they stripey by any chance? :P

Thought I'd grace you with my presence. :D

Don't do stripes OG. Picked up a nice white short sleeved shirt and another navy short sleeved one. Very nice I gotta say. As janey and Cath would say "they are just fab" :)

Ahhh short sleeves. Perfect for the lecture hall and the student bar.
    Now get a job ya bu... :)

Yet another item that seems to be de rigeur still and is hanging on well past it's 'Best By' date is the baseball cap. They make me cringe every time I see one. I'd sooner wear one of the smock/shift dresses that Insert-Gear and MissFlit were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Those poxy bubble skirt things :mad: I would love to find whoever thought they would be a good idea and kick them in the hole!!
    Why? Why would anyone think a skirt/dress that makes your hips look bigger be a good idea?
    I have no hips or bum to speak of so they give me nice curves :) However, quite big busted so most tops make me look like a hooker :P

I'm afraid to buy online in case they don't fit. Can you send them back? Do they charge you to send them back?
    Depends on the shop. Generally you have to pay postage to return or exchange an item. I've only had to do it once though.
    DenMan wrote: »
    Thought I'd grace you with my presence. :D

Don't do stripes OG. Picked up a nice white short sleeved shirt and another navy short sleeved one. Very nice I gotta say. As janey and Cath would say "they are just fab" :)
    ;)
    Yet another item that seems to be de rigeur still and is hanging on well past it's 'Best By' date is the baseball cap. They make me cringe every time I see one. I'd sooner wear one of the smock/shift dresses that Insert-Gear and MissFlit were talking about.

I'd pay to see that. I agree with you there. My boyfriend wears a baseball cap sometimes and it just looks silly.

I'd pay to see that.
    Pay? Pfffft, sure you know you'd be on the Guest list.

Narrow mens shoes. The ones that extend two inches or more byond your toes and then curl up like bananas. Crusty The Clown shoes. Arraghhhh.

Advertisement