Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another bird to be identified please!

• 23-07-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hello again,

I was running in a GAA field just outside Portlaoise yeasterday at lunch time and I saw a really large bird. Even though it flew around a little bit, it always seemed to have it's back to me so I don't have much details to give here. I don't know much about birds so my description might not be great anyway. I posted this thread a while back about a bird I saw, and after the discussion I thought I'd seen maybe a hen harrier or a buzzard and others thought it must have been a buzzard.

Back to this bird though - it was way bigger than the bird I posted about in the old thread. It was like the size of a seagull maybe and maybe similar in its style of flying. However it seemed to be all dark, probably brown but maybe greyish. It wasn't flying that high - maybe about the height of a 5-story building. So, could it have been a darkly coloured seagull in Portlaoise? Or what might it have been?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Could have been a juvenile seagull, they have brown speckled plumage for quite a while and can be huge. Without a picture it is hard to say tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 123oclock

Possibly a Raven

Advertisement