Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM dial in server

Options
  • 23-07-2009 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

I have security cameras set up so that i can watch them online , just a cam to web app, no-ip app and port forwarding in the router

problem is that burgulars cut the phone lines before they attempt to break in so that the alarm can't call home, and also the broadband dies

i am just wondering is their any GSM modem that i can use with a ready to go sim that would allow me to dial up from a pc using the sims phone number to give me network access to that pc

i have tried with a huawei e220, i set it xp to accept incoming commections and to give out an IP and to require the admin name and password, but when i ring the sim's phone number it just rings out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Something like this I guess you're looking for. I suspect it allows dial-in, but it's not clear from the description. Given enough time tinkering, you could configure it to alert you via SMS if the main web link (i.e. the phone line) dies.

I'm assuming there are no wireless web providers in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

seamus wrote: »
    Something like this I guess you're looking for. I suspect it allows dial-in, but it's not clear from the description. Given enough time tinkering, you could configure it to alert you via SMS if the main web link (i.e. the phone line) dies.

I'm assuming there are no wireless web providers in the area?

thanks Sheamus

i'll send them a mail, and get a price

wireless is available, but he wants to keep eircom bb, and it would be mad paying for 2 b.b.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

WHat's happening when you dial the modem's phone number is that you're trying to initiate a CSD connection to the SIM cards voice number. Traditionally with CSD, to make a data call you had to get a data number (which would be different to your voice number, and would incur an additional rental per month) for the sim card, which would let you dial in at a max rate of 14400kbps, or 28800kbps with Vodafone HSCSD. CSD by the way is circuit switched data; a dial-on-demand service, very comparable to dial-up 56K internet...you could initiate a TCP/IP session over it no problem.

Modern GSM systems use GPRS/EDGE (2.5G & 2.75G) or UMTS/HSPDA (3G & 3.5G) to maintain continuous data connections, usually to the internet, very similar to how we use always-on ADSL nowadays. That's how the USB dongle type modems connect, and it's why simply dialling their voice number is producing no results for you. To access them externally, they ahve to be connected to the internet, and you have to go to their external IP address...

For your setup, I'd recommend looking at something like this router:
    http://www.dovado.com/UMR.html

It chooses how your network is connected to the internet, either by dsl or usb mobile modem, and if one fails, it falls back on the other.

It supports dynamic dns, so that no matter what connection method you're using at the moment, you can have a domain name (such as myhomecamera.dyndns.org) that is always accessible.

Am I making sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Dardania wrote: »
    WHat's happening when you dial the modem's phone number is that you're trying to initiate a CSD connection to the SIM cards voice number. Traditionally with CSD, to make a data call you had to get a data number (which would be different to your voice number, and would incur an additional rental per month) for the sim card, which would let you dial in at a max rate of 14400kbps, or 28800kbps with Vodafone HSCSD. CSD by the way is circuit switched data; a dial-on-demand service, very comparable to dial-up 56K internet...you could initiate a TCP/IP session over it no problem.

Modern GSM systems use GPRS/EDGE (2.5G & 2.75G) or UMTS/HSPDA (3G & 3.5G) to maintain continuous data connections, usually to the internet, very similar to how we use always-on ADSL nowadays. That's how the USB dongle type modems connect, and it's why simply dialling their voice number is producing no results for you. To access them externally, they ahve to be connected to the internet, and you have to go to their external IP address...

For your setup, I'd recommend looking at something like this router:
    http://www.dovado.com/UMR.html

It chooses how your network is connected to the internet, either by dsl or usb mobile modem, and if one fails, it falls back on the other.

It supports dynamic dns, so that no matter what connection method you're using at the moment, you can have a domain name (such as myhomecamera.dyndns.org) that is always accessible.

Am I making sense?

I am using a Sapido 3G router on the 3 network. Connected to the router via LAN cable is my NETCAM. I've gone through the instructions at DYNDNS and I can see that the IP is been tracked however outside of my home network I cant link to either the router or the IP camera. I've tried disabling the firewall and tweaking every setting that I can but the result is the same. Is my service provider blocking access and is there a way around this ? Thanks :confused:

fkearney wrote: »
    I am using a Sapido 3G router on the 3 network. Connected to the router via LAN cable is my NETCAM. I've gone through the instructions at DYNDNS and I can see that the IP is been tracked however outside of my home network I cant link to either the router or the IP camera. I've tried disabling the firewall and tweaking every setting that I can but the result is the same. Is my service provider blocking access and is there a way around this ? Thanks :confused:

can you go to the status page of the sapido router, and get the IP address, netmask, DNS server & gateway information?

• Advertisement

can you go to the status page of the sapido router, and get the IP address, netmask, DNS server & gateway information?

Yep here they are,
    Mode: HSDPA/UMTS
    IP Address: 10.222.114.80
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway: 10.64.64.64
    DNS: server1:172.31.140.69 server2:172.30.140.69
    Receive bytes: 32336696
    Receive packets: 26630
    Transmit bytes: 3370160
    Transmit packets: 28902

fkearney wrote: »
    Yep here they are,
    Mode: HSDPA/UMTS
    IP Address: 10.222.114.80
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway: 10.64.64.64
    DNS: server1:172.31.140.69 server2:172.30.140.69
    Receive bytes: 32336696
    Receive packets: 26630
    Transmit bytes: 3370160
    Transmit packets: 28902

It looks like your assigned IP address is a private network one, which means that it isn't directly accessible from the internet, or indeed any other device in your subnet. you're going through some sort of a gateway to get out onto the internet - which is obviously a cheaper / easier way for Three to manage things.

I don't know how three's internet system works - but maybe they have another APN that will give you a publicly accessible IP address?
    I know that with O2, open.internet gives you a public IP, whereas wap.dol.ie only gives you a private one...

It looks like your assigned IP address is a private network one, which means that it isn't directly accessible from the internet, or indeed any other device in your subnet. you're going through some sort of a gateway to get out onto the internet - which is obviously a cheaper / easier way for Three to manage things.

I don't know how three's internet system works - but maybe they have another APN that will give you a publicly accessible IP address?
    I know that with O2, open.internet gives you a public IP, whereas wap.dol.ie only gives you a private one...

Thanks, Yoics does provide me with a workaround and I guess I'll use that for now.

Advertisement