Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA Ashfield

Options
  • 23-07-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Howdy people!

i noticed ashfield have the ccna course and they offer 2 options:

Duration: 20 Weeks x 2 evenings 6.30pm - 9.00pm Or 1 Week (5 Full Days)

http://www.ashfieldcomputertraining.ie/ccna.html

has anyone ever done the 5 day option? Seems a bit odd how some places are offering a year fulltime for a CCNA cert. and these guys can do it in a week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I dont see how anyone could get through all this material in a week, you could spend a week on subneting alone.

I am pretty sure you could memorize a pdf file containing most of the answers in a week but thats another matter entirely :pac:

I would go with self study, if your not into that the part time course would be better, gives you a decent ammount of time to absorb the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

From what i can gather (asking around) these 5 day type courses only focus on passing the exam, rather than the overall material so i dont know, i managed to get content from a nugget training server from my old workplace which has all the videos so maybe that will be good for the rest of the material.

Its still questionable!? 5 days fulltime VS 20 Weeks Partime OR 1 Year fulltime from SCD

i was just curious to see if somone has done it.

far2gud wrote: »
    I dont see how anyone could get through all this material in a week, you could spend a week on subneting alone.

I am pretty sure you could memorize a pdf file containing most of the answers in a week but thats another matter entirely :pac:

I would go with self study, if your not into that the part time course would be better, gives you a decent ammount of time to absorb the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

A year is a crazy amount of time to spend on the CCNA. That's enough time to achieve a CCNA, CCNP, and make a start on a CCIE. I can only assume that this course is a broad networking course, with CCNA training/certification included as part of it.

Even 20 weeks (nearly 5 months??) is excessive, but 5 days mightn't be enough for a lot of people to absorb everything (although you certainly could cover and lab the material in that time).

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hey - FYI, Ashfield college have gone bust - it was in the papers/court last week. Im assuming its all the same company?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Hey...

i thought that myself so i emailed them i got this reply:
    Dear .....

Thank you for your email. Ashfield Computer Training is not connected with or has any involvement with Ashfield College. Unfortunately we are suffering with some negative reaction as a consequence of the Colleges demise . Ashfield Computer Training is and will continue to offer the best and most progressive training course available, and will do so far into the future.

Im guessing they are not bust!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

save the money and do it yourself at home and maybe use online labs.

the courses are pretty pointless as the teachers tend to just read from the same book and in a lot of cases have no real world experience.

If you get a very good tutor it can be useful but they're rare.

Eamon himself at ashfield is probably one of the best in the business but I don't think he delivers the courses anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

I have a CCNA cert and 5 full days is way to short and 1 year for once a week, is way to long. The CCNA cert is now 2 exams full, ICND 1 & 2. To pass the exam is over 800/1000 with labs and simlets.

Certs are getting more and more questions raised, with so many site's with the answers to most certs.

For me if the cert is important then quicker the better without brain dumps a course is a must.

If i look at a CV and see MCSE CCNA etc... and all got with in 3 months, then i would question it abit more. However if a course is also on the CV and its from a good company or college the it looks much better.

I did my course with New Horizons in the city centre, full time for up to 9 months with flexible times: 9.00-9.30 most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The CCNA cert is now 2 exams full, ICND 1 & 2.

CCNA can be achieved by passing one exam as well though.

http://cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

far2gud wrote: »

Its basic binary math. You have to remember everyone picks it up at a different pace. Really one month of study should be more than enough or a month and a half with a lab if you have no Cisco experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I did the CCNA there a few years ago. I did it in the evenings. I have done alot of courses, A+, Linux+, MSCE, Novell, Zenworks, Groupwise, Checkpoint...... I must say that the CCNA course I did there was definitely the best. Well worth while for anyone working in IT.

I also did the MSCE and Linux + there. Top notch facilities. I stopped using them as I moved out of Dublin so evening courses there are not an option for me anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Brady wrote: »
    Hey...

i thought that myself so i emailed them i got this reply:

Dear .....

Thank you for your email. Ashfield Computer Training is not connected with or has any involvement with Ashfield College. Unfortunately we are suffering with some negative reaction as a consequence of the Colleges demise . Ashfield Computer Training is and will continue to offer the best and most progressive training course available, and will do so far into the future.

I am laughing at the "not connected" bit. It's a husband and wife team. He runs the College, she runs the computer training end.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I am laughing at the "not connected" bit. It's a husband and wife team. He runs the College, she runs the computer training end.

I don't think so.

The college was partly owned by the ex-principal of colmkill primary in tallaght with your one.

The computer training is not connected in the fact that it's a completely different company.

Eamo and your one are not married.

Or at least they were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ntlbell wrote: »
    Eamo and your one are not married.

Or at least they were not.

No, not Eamonn, the other fella. Can't think of his name, it is the ex-principal, though.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No, not Eamonn, the other fella. Can't think of his name, it is the ex-principal, though.

She's a bit of a MILF.

I would.

Advertisement