Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retrogamer beaten at SF4 by girl who hasn't played in 10 yrs

• 23-07-2009 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Seeing as i often find myself being forced to listen stories of how good he is at streetfighter I feel it's my duty to inform the gaming community of retrogamers latest spectacular loss. Fresh from the hammering at the weekend he has now been beaten by a young girl who hasn't "played" streetfighter in about 10 yrs. (when i say played i mean once had a go of her brothers super nintendo)

There he sat with his specially adapted joystick thing and was beaten by somone using a simple x box controller.. He's not much good at wii bowling either.. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The bitch just spammed electricity with blanka and I wasn't used to viper so didn't know what beat it. It was a massacre up to that point though. No mention of your bomberman fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

So mortal kombat... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey Retro, here's a pro-tip: don't pick Viper, ever :D

(no srsly she sucks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

lmao !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah, learnt my lesson. I was bored beating them with Ryu then switched to the other characters to liven it up and now have to live with the shame.

It's almost as bad as when I was beaten my the 4 year old at soul calibur 2 :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Oh I feel your pain, one of the lads played the game for the first time and won a few games only using strong kick and jumping around like a lunatic. I am crap at these games and they give me nerd rage like no other :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Beaten by girls? Fine.*

Dressing like them? Might be a problem.

*Especially if you suddenly lost all your skillz when fighting a young lady you may have-uh-interest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

god I hate blanka... I go into the game expecting a street fighter match and end up playing a game of basketball... where the basketball wants to kill me and shoots electricity from its back.

Still it's not as bad as tekken. My OH had surgery on her arm but decided to play, 1 handed, a few games against us Tekken veterans and stole a few matches off us as Asuka Kazama by mashing the punch buttons and Christie Monteiro by mashing the kick buttons.

I think when you play SFIV for a while you expect a certain decorum, with people not attempting suicidal moves. But when you play against a novice you don't know what they are going to do. Like last night I met a Ryu (with over 1900 GP no less) who just sat in the corner and fireballed. I lost because it got so boring just throwing fireballs across the screen that I started eating a few fireballs trying to get in, only to be inevitably srk'd back to where I started.

I sent the guy a message after saying "wtf was with the fireballs"... to which he replied "Akuma is very dangerous, better to be safe and stay away"... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Ouch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm going to request you be de-modded. Such fail. :pac:

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I think when you play SFIV for a while you expect a certain decorum, with people not attempting suicidal moves.

Yep had that last night. Nearly threw a few games because the newbies kept jumping suicidally at me. They would keep jumping at me and I'd block high and end up getting sweeped because they never attacked during the jump. Also impossible to do combos with someone jumping around, the only tactic is to wait and srk them out of the air which gets boring. You end up jumping in and getting caught off gaurd by the randomness of the moves thrown at you.
    I sent the guy a message after saying "wtf was with the fireballs"... to which he replied "Akuma is very dangerous, better to be safe and stay away"... :confused:

He's kind of right, letting akuma in close is a recipe for disaster which I learnt during the weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

stole a few matches off us as Asuka Kazama by mashing the punch buttons and Christie Monteiro by mashing the kick buttons.:

Christie and Eddie should be shot ! I can't believe they were brought back for the new tekken

Laughed out loud :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

does retrogamer run the fighting events at midlans? The guy who i got the final with having never really played sf.. who i bet, then he went to bison and just kept doing that bent flying across the screen on fire thing?

if so...

pot, kettle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

The moves and character possibilities can be discussed until the cow's come home, One fact however remains,

Retrogamer = Streetfighter FAIL..

red_ice wrote: »
    does retrogamer run the fighting events at midlans? The guy who i got the final with having never really played sf.. who i bet, then he went to bison and just kept doing that bent flying across the screen on fire thing?

if so...

pot, kettle!

That was probably Azza since I've never been to one.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He's kind of right, letting akuma in close is a recipe for disaster which I learnt during the weekend :)

Yes but being Ryu and playing a fireball game against Akuma is suicide. Akuma will always win. Heck, even against defensive Sagats Akuma will win. Their whole high/low tiger shot game is destroyed by Akumas 3 hit red fireball.

It was just boring though and I was really looking to get some fadc combo practice in (I know what you mean, in scrub land it's very difficult to work on your combos because they are bouncing around so much throwing out random dps and hurricanes). I really hope I start seeing more than just Ryu, Ken and Gief when I get into G2.
    That was probably Azza since I've never been to one.

It wouldn't be like Azza though to abuse the Psycho Crusher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oddly this sounds so familiar.

Between kids and gurls Retro does suck at fighting games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It's almost as bad as when I was beaten my the 4 year old at soul calibur 2 :'(

The exact same thing happened to me after beating a group of my mates. I haven't played since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I think when you play SFIV for a while you expect a certain decorum, with people not attempting suicidal moves. But when you play against a novice you don't know what they are going to do. Like last night I met a Ryu (with over 1900 GP no less) who just sat in the corner and fireballed. I lost because it got so boring just throwing fireballs across the screen that I started eating a few fireballs trying to get in, only to be inevitably srk'd back to where I started.

Lol thats pretty much the exact game you play with me whenever we have matches online!

Also lmao at Retrogamer :D

I just wandered in from the front page, where this post has made it to about 5 lines down, and I wnated to add my peice.

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is all.

• Advertisement

Creature wrote: »
    Lol thats pretty much the exact game you play with me whenever we have matches online!

what... you're Neptune online right? Well you play as Balrog, I'm not about to stand toe to toe with the boxer with my stun rating :p. Even just take a look at the Evo finals, Daigo was spending a lot of those matches back peddling and throwing out fireballs. It's even worse as Akuma, if I eat even a 4 hit combo off Balrog that's like 40% (or more) of my health gone. Against Balrog the best tactic is to zone with fireballs and wait for you to come to me. Or get close and pull off a combo then get back out and zone some more. It's pretty much the same with all brawlers.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Thats pretty much how he plays against me as well :)

Oh Red Ice you either played me or Debean in ST at Midlans. We both played Bison and we both spammed Pyscho Crushers. Don't think you played me as I only ever lost to Azreyal(Ken) at one of the events. Had no idea how to properly play the game back then. Would be alot better now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seeing as i often find myself being forced to listen stories of how good he is at streetfighter I feel it's my duty to inform the gaming community of retrogamers latest spectacular loss. Fresh from the hammering at the weekend he has now been beaten by a young girl who hasn't "played" streetfighter in about 10 yrs. (when i say played i mean once had a go of her brothers super nintendo)

There he sat with his specially adapted joystick thing and was beaten by somone using a simple x box controller.. He's not much good at wii bowling either.. :D

Shuold be made a sticky. :pac:

Azza wrote: »
    Thats pretty much how he plays against me as well :)

what... you're Azza online right? Well you play as Bison, I'm not about to stand toe to toe with the Dictator with my stun rating :p. Even just take a look at the Evo finals...

Ok I see a pattern here :o. Yeah I'm deep in scrubland atm. I'm working on it, I've gotten into some really bad habits that work against scrubs but fail against anyone whos played the game for more than a minute.

Wait how did this thread move onto me? *searches for retr0's Sakura picture*

I think the next step out of scrubland is to zone while trying to force your opponent to make a mistake. Played a very good Ryu in the group stages of the last tournament that just waited around for me to make a mistake. Needless to say he didn't really have to try and force me to make one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yes but being Ryu and playing a fireball game against Akuma is suicide. Akuma will always win. Heck, even against defensive Sagats Akuma will win. Their whole high/low tiger shot game is destroyed by Akumas 3 hit red fireball.

Surely Ryu wins this fireball war, and Sagat too? Doesn't red fireball have huge startup?

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Surely Ryu wins this fireball war, and Sagat too? Doesn't red fireball have huge startup?

yes but it hits 3 times, they either have to take chip damage off the 2nd and 3rd hit or jump it giving me time to get the next red fireball out. They also can't FA it like I can their tiger shots, at most they could take 1 fireball off it. Whereas I can build as much meter off their shots as long as they don't have any bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

yes but it hits 3 times, they either have to take chip damage off the 2nd and 3rd hit or jump it giving me time to get the next red fireball out. They also can't FA it like I can their tiger shots, at most they could take 1 fireball off it. Whereas I can build as much meter off their shots as long as they don't have any bars.

but the start up is huge as dred said, i've punished akumas using the very same tactic because ryu gets out almost 3(2) fireballs at a full screen red ball! neutral jump is great for this too and ryus ex hado is fast enough to stop akuma red ball all together at mid ish screen..
    i think ryu wins this war well in my opinion but i've been proven wrong a few times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was playing my girlfriends (then three year old) son at Anniversary Edition.

I was letting him win, mostly by walking into him mashing kick or punch, when BAM!, he managed to mash out a 720 with T. Hawk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

I was playing my girlfriends (then three year old) son at Anniversary Edition.

I was letting him win, mostly by walking into him mashing kick or punch, when BAM!, he managed to mash out a 720 with T. Hawk!
    ya got played turns out he is a t hawk master:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

My housemate has started messing around with sf4 and playing online. Hes never played sf before and he basically just jumps around mashing all the buttons but the amount of times he has landed akumas ultra doing tbis hilarious. He hit a dude twice with it in one match the other night and he has no idea how to do the move.

Advertisement