Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Users of Kerry Broadband

• 23-07-2009 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well I'll been in contact with Paul and I really want to go with Kerry Broadband,Although my permanet service has been good their UK cable connection isn't for me and I'd love better upload speed and Kerry Broadband is offering 1mb upload on their cheapest package,I upload a lot of photos and 128kb is not enough..

Hopefully I have a clear line of site and i'll get it installed but has anyone got any speedtests from the service?And what package are you on,Basically I'm sold on it and I'd just like to see the pings etc...Anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

523623775.png

Im in Ventry on the 3up/2down mb package .. No major issues ...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Somebody said to me that the customer service from this crowd was shocking, plenty of downtime and no-one answering the phones (ironically responds only to email when problems arise - how can you email when your connection is down!?) anyone else have any feedback/experiences with these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Normally my broadband with Permenet is sh1t today its pretty ok though. 545964691.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

38141 wrote: »
    Somebody said to me that the customer service from this crowd was shocking, plenty of downtime and no-one answering the phones (ironically responds only to email when problems arise - how can you email when your connection is down!?) anyone else have any feedback/experiences with these?

They have a pretty bad rep in Kerry yes, I heard Paul on the phone once and the telephone manner of his left alot to be desired. You'd be better off sending a DSL connection or two to yourself on a private wireless link besides depending on the likes of them for a crappy meg or two, see my sig for the results of a private link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

He didn't say anything about reselling a DSL line, he said setup a PRIVATE link to bring out a DSL line to HIMSELF. I think it's the only way to get proper broadband out in the sticks, planning on doing this myself too.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote: »
    You'd be better off sending a DSL connection or two to yourself on a private wireless link besides depending on the likes of them for a crappy meg or two, see my sig for the results of a private link.

What do you mean here netwhizkid??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

He means, that he bought the DSL, probably got it installed in a mates place and then build a wireless link from that place to himself to use the DSL line, failing getting DSL at his own place.

A lot of people do that, having no other option.

/M

No he brought it from Kenmare to somewhere else over 10kms away! What an achievement! He will tell ya all about it, if you don't already know.

No need. I started my own ISP because I could not get broadband :-D Nottin wrong there.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

padocon wrote: »
    Normally my broadband with Permenet is sh1t today its pretty ok though. 545964691.png

Permanet have upgrade their speeds

512/128 now 1024/256
    892/128 now 2048/512

Caps are also being enforced though so be careful..

• Advertisement

Padocon, which part of ky are you based in?

By the way, these boys Kerry Broadband aren't even regulated by comreg for some reason, whereas permanet are, got that from call centre of permanet today. I'd say that explains the poor customer service from them, and also their slightly lower prices.

What do permanet charge for cap excess per Mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

By the way, these boys Kerry Broadband aren't even regulated by comreg for some reason, whereas permanet are, got that from call centre of permanet today.

ICE Broadband is regulated by comreg ..... and look how sh**te they are

comreg are a useless bunch ... thought you would now that by now ;)

550942120.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

By the way, these boys Kerry Broadband aren't even regulated by comreg for some reason, whereas permanet are, got that from call centre of permanet today. I'd say that explains the poor customer service from them, and also their slightly lower prices.

You should try and make some use of the auld interweb my son, check the Electronic Register of Authorised Undertakings on the Comreg website, you will indeed find that Kerry Broadband are registered with and come under the remit of Comreg, so, whoever you spoke to in the call centre today, was, if you will excuse my french, talking through their ar$e.

To save you the bother, the Comreg site ain't exactly user friendly, here is the link http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/paul_dolan.551.837.424.details.html

jbkenn

Well then someone might want to put those fellas in permanet right.

I presume that if they are in comreg then one can complain when receiving and being forced to pay for a subpar service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Well then someone might want to put those fellas in permanet right.
    Give them a call on Monday and set them straight, and, maybe, in future, you might take anything they tell you with a pinch of salt.
    I presume that if they are in comreg then one can complain when receiving and being forced to pay for a subpar service?
    If you are not happy with your service from Permanet, just cancel it, there is no such thing as being "forced to pay" in this day and age.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What do permanet charge for cap excess per Mb?

If you go over the Cap you have to pay to get your service back,They will throttle it until the next month if your contract,As for comreg I'll answer it below.
    jbkenn wrote: »
    You should try and make some use of the auld interweb my son, check the Electronic Register of Authorised Undertakings on the Comreg website, you will indeed find that Kerry Broadband are registered with and come under the remit of Comreg, so, whoever you spoke to in the call centre today, was, if you will excuse my french, talking through their ar$e.

To save you the bother, the Comreg site ain't exactly user friendly, here is the link http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/paul_dolan.551.837.424.details.html

jbkenn

You're right and wrong,They are regulated by comreg as are all ISP's?,But permanet differ because their wireless frequency is licensed by comreg meaning their masts frequencies are free from interference from other wireless masts...That's what I understood anyway

Where as kerrybroadband aren't
    jbkenn wrote: »
    Give them a call on Monday and set them straight, and, maybe, in future, you might take anything they tell you with a pinch of salt.

If you are not happy with your service from Permanet, just cancel it, there is no such thing as being "forced to pay" in this day and age.

jbkenn

I've found the permanet customer care very helpful and if you get in contact with any of the tech department they will help you as much as possible and happily answer your questions in as great a detail as you can!

Im in North Kerry, Ballyduff, sorry only saw your post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Ricky91t wrote: »
    But permanet differ because their wireless frequency is licensed by comreg meaning their masts frequencies are free from interference from other wireless masts...That's what I understood anyway

Where as kerrybroadband aren't.

Is this the reason (interference from other wireless masts) that the quality of the Kerry Broadband service can be so bad at certain times of the day? and that the upload speeds can be so terrible?

RevBlueJeans

Is this the reason (interference from other wireless masts) that the quality of the Kerry Broadband service can be so bad at certain times of the day? and that the upload speeds can be so terrible?

Yes, no and maybe. Using unlicensed spectrum doesn't mean, that you would be less or more contended. It's mostly down to how many users they have in the same segment, how much bandwidth they have to that segment and how much backhaul they have in total.

Interference is something that can be dealt with, unless it's 2.4 GHz they are using. Then you might indeed also have interference to deal with. In the 5 GHz band there are tons of channels and it's easy to work around interference, if it exists.

Also, even though Permanet has licensed frequencies from Comreg, they can also get interference. The difference is, that when that happens, they can require Comreg to get somebody out, locate whatever causes the interference and require them to cease such actions. Might take a couple of days though and happens rarely of course.

Beyond that, there isn't any difference between providers using licensed or unlicensed frequencies.

/M

I currently have permeNet about to switch to Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

IMPORTANT INFORMATION on PERMANET BROADBAND

Permanet are having serious problems in North Kerry as of December 2009 - ongoing (Feb 19th 2010).

They currently have overstretched capacity and are negotiating for more bandwith.

Regardless of whether your on a lower 'contention' rate business package or not - you are going to be suffering.

4MB broadband package now gets around 512k-1mb at most peak times.

Permanet are completely aware of the problem but are not notifying customers unless they complain / telephone support.

Basically they are currently charging customers for broadband speeds they simply can not supply at the moment.

Check your package and your speed.

The only advice they could give us was to step down from the 4mb - 1 or 2 mb package. If we hadn't telephoned them they would happily have continued taking €65 a month from us. Customer service re-imbursed us for the over charge, but many people I imagine are unaware and are being over charged.

They 'hope' to have it fixed by the end of March. They told us in December it would be the end of January, so I don't have much faith in that claim.

We have decided to switch to Vodafone, since our exchange recently became broadband enabled. We can't get the 4mb line (max 2mb) but at least they aren't trying to sell us speed we can not avail of unlike Permanet.

Check your package and check the speed your getting www.speedtest.net

With a 4mb line, we can't even stream Youtube videos.

TG I changed from 1mb Permanet to 3mb Eircom, much faster and twice as much cheaper compared to Permanet. Supposedly Permanet are bring out offers & packages similar to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

How are KerryBroadband customers getting on these days?

RevBJ

Advertisement