Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggies not allowed in Restaurants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Can we have a big group hug now that we all more or less agree with each other :D

Actually feck that...just saw your stupid post on ranting and raving...yet another anti-kid thread there...what a shocker. Talk about pathetic. You discuss the subject here and and make out you understand and generally agree while posting in R+R where discussion is not allowed so you get your vindication from the raving loons on that forum who only post there coz they are afraid of discussion and opening their minds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No need to repeat yourself.

Do you normally park half a mile from a restuarant? Somehow I doubt it. If there's two parents then you can carry a child each. My god, can't believed I solved that impossible equation.

You know yourself that parking in some citys is insane and 1 mile worth of walking is not that crazy amount of walking to do because of this.

Your troll'ish behavior is very poor at best :rolleyes:
    Zulu wrote: »
    one parent drops off kids and other parent at resturant door, then parks car.

People can be collected just outside also.
    It's a grrrrrreat system!

Try it sometime. ;)

Poor assumption, I said parent which means one

Now how do you expect one parent to manage two kids without buggys?

If the premises accepts buggys then the parent has every right to bring one into the premises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Am i wrong in thinking that before people (on both sides) start going on about their rights regarding buggies in restaurants or not. Would folding up the buggy and placing it in the corner not solve everything ?

I allways wonder why these simple little problems get people so worked up.

Some resturants just do not have the space its a simple fact and parents need to understand this and not get all huffed up about rights when they are asked not to block up the place with a large buggy but at the same time you cant expect people to only eat at home when they have kids.

I dont have kids but i have no problem with kids being in restaurants if i want a quite meal ill go out after 8 when all the kids are in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Some restaurants, cafes, etc are simply too small to bring a buggy into. In such cases, I can't understand why anyone would want to even atttempt to bring their buggy in. Surely you wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy your coffee and food if the staff had to constantly ask you to move it so they could get to and from tables to bring food, and other customers have to ask you to move it so they could get by to go to the toilets, pay, etc. In such cases a no buggy policy makes sense.
    However, other restuarants and cafes that are newly built are generally more spacious and don't have an issue with people bringing their buggy in with them. Such places are clearly going to welcome people from all walks of life, those with kids and those without.If someone with no children opts to eat in a place like this then you know things will (even with the best behave children) be noiser than usual. In such a case you've made a decision and unless a kid is completely nuts and the parents are ignoring this then you really have no cause to complain.
    There are also restaurants that are clearly aimed at people without children. Usually though, these are pretty high end restaurants and people generally go out to eat in them late at night when all the kids are in bed (or the parents are playing the game of "go to bed, but I'm thirsty, go to bed, but I'm hungry, go to bed, but I'm lonely").
    I saw all of the above as someone with no kids but with an appreciation for the fact that children are out there, some are cute and lovely, some can be dreadful, spoiled brats (in that case you blame the parent not the child), some can be having a bad day and their folks can't do a damn thing about it. People with no kids aren't all small children haters and appreciate the situation parents can find themselves in. That said, some parents need to realise that the world doesn't revolve around them and their off spring simply because they've managed to reproduce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have na issue with a post report it.
    Do not abuse other posters and do not drag issues from out side this forum in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

Ludo wrote: »
    Can we have a big group hug now that we all more or less agree with each other :D

Actually feck that...just saw your stupid post on ranting and raving...yet another anti-kid thread there...what a shocker. Talk about pathetic. You discuss the subject here and and make out you understand and generally agree while posting in R+R where discussion is not allowed so you get your vindication from the raving loons on that forum who only post there coz they are afraid of discussion and opening their minds.

I posted that before we sorted out our differences here! :D
    Am I not entitled to a rant? I got what I wanted off my chest and had a rationale discussion here with people who are reasonable and like I said are not the ones I have a problem with.

The majority of parents who post here are reasonable people and it is not fair for those who have an issue with selfish crap parents to come into this forum and have a go at the community here and the mods won't stand for it as it is disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cabaal wrote: »
    Poor assumption, I said parent which means one
    ...well if you're on your own, don't park "1mile" away. Look for a closer spot. Or a different resturant.

Honestly. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Am i wrong in thinking that before people (on both sides) start going on about their rights regarding buggies in restaurants or not. Would folding up the buggy and placing it in the corner not solve everything ? ....

I would expect if you have a buggy with you. You either using it to restrain a child, have a child sleeping in it, or have supplies underneath. So folding is not always possible. That said sometimes a buggy is just a backup in case a child won't walk, and the supplies underneath are in a self contained bag. In that case folding would be possible. But most places don't have a space for folded buggies either. Its kinda something you look for when you scope the restaurant.

Its a bit like a rain coat. You might not need it, but you've been sorry in the past you didn't bring it.

Ditto on the other hand, if your on a date, and the restaurant was full of buggies, you might do a 180 out of there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You know yourself that parking in some citys is insane and 1 mile worth of walking is not that crazy amount of walking to do because of this.

Your troll'ish behavior is very poor at best :rolleyes:

Who's trolling here? You're asking the most pointless question imaginable. Do you even have a notion as to how far a mile is? There is NO WAY I would park a mile away from ANYWHERE I intend to go. Regardless of the city and especially not Dublin where there is ample parking everywhere!

If there's anyone trolling here it's you.

• Advertisement

and magicmarker is taking a break from posting in this forum.
    This is the parenting forum and not an room for an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I agree that Ireland is very anti-children. And I am one of those people who hates your kids ;) (well I dislike loud noises) I don't mind well behaved kids, but I think the problem here is there is a lot of child worshipping here among parents and they spoil their kids and let them run amok without being told when to zip it. I would much rather see a child being told to shut up and have him or her sniffle for a few minutes than be roaming free annoying everyone. I am not pointing my finger at anyone here, btw. I don't know you or your kids.
    My experience of kids in Europe is that yes they are made feel welcome in establishments, and a lot of establishments are large enough to cater for families. But in saying that continental kids seem to have a bit more respect for elders. They are better behaved, imo.

By the way, where are these restaurants that all you families avoid? :D

(I haven't been out for a morning hangover breakfast in a longtime without having to put up with screeling & screaming)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The majority of parents who post here are reasonable people and it is not fair for those who have an issue with selfish crap parents to come into this forum and have a go at the community here and the mods won't stand for it as it is disruptive.
    Sorry, but that really makes it seem as only a certain 'click' are allowed contribute in here, and not outsiders/non-regular posters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

kmart6 wrote: »
    Sorry, but that really makes it seem as only a certain 'click' are allowed contribute in here, and not outsiders/non-regular posters!

There is only one sure way to become part of this clique, and that is to contribute to the forum in a supportive way, rather than by tarring all posters with a negative brush and having a go at everyone. I think that works for most of the forums on this site though.
    I am not a parent though and I don't see that there is a clique in here. If I were a parent I would probably be in here more often and would like to give my support and advice to anyone that needed it, as I see it being done here by others.

This forum is for anyone who can post with in the guidelines and remit of the forum.
    It is about parenting and those dealing with children and not a place for people to have ago at parents about children.

I don't read it that way. I would take it to be more a use your common sense comment. For example, I would not go onto the Athletics/Running forum saying all joggers are idiots who have no right to use the footpath (not that I think that by the way)....it would be trolling. So why do people regularly spout off about parents controlling their kids or telling them how to raise them in here? Take it to the ranting and raving forum where they eat up that kind of thing.
    People are more than welcome to get involved but wading in offending everyone with sweeping generalisations and blaming all parents for the actions of the few, and telling us how to behave isn't going to make you friends.

*EDIT* oops sorry..didn't see your post Thaedydal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

WindSock wrote: »
    I agree that Ireland is very anti-children. And I am one of those people who hates your kids ;) (well I dislike loud noises) I don't mind well behaved kids, but I think the problem here is there is a lot of child worshipping here among parents and they spoil their kids and let them run amok without being told when to zip it. I would much rather see a child being told to shut up and have him or her sniffle for a few minutes than be roaming free annoying everyone. I am not pointing my finger at anyone here, btw. I don't know you or your kids.
    My experience of kids in Europe is that yes they are made feel welcome in establishments, and a lot of establishments are large enough to cater for families. But in saying that continental kids seem to have a bit more respect for elders. They are better behaved, imo.

By the way, where are these restaurants that all you families avoid? :D

(I haven't been out for a morning hangover breakfast in a longtime without having to put up with screeling & screaming)

That i totally agree with but is a very different debate, what has happened is the parents that take their kids out for dinner sit them down and dont let them misbehave are being lumped in with the parents that take their kids to the pub let them run up and down the pub climbing all over things screaming as they sit and drink because they think "am i not aloud to go out and enjoy myself" have led establishment to ban kids as its a sure fire way to stop it.

Kids in restaurants i have no problem with taking a kid into an adult enviroment like a pub because they think they can have kids and still go out boozing is totally unacceptable.

But this is about parents bringing large bulky buggies into a restaurant and blocking up access rather than banning kids alltogether. If any parent really has a problem with not being able to block up a restaurant with their buggy they should have a long hard look at them selves, allthough if you think you are within your rights to do so i don't think having a look at yourself will do any good at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

But this is about parents bringing large bulky buggies into a restaurant and blocking up access rather than banning kids alltogether.

actually the thread is about restaurants and a particular hotel who wont allow buggies in for health and safety reasons, despite them being big enough to park a buggy next to table AND have plenty of room for others to walk by,

i have to say some peoples opinions have shocked me, might i also add i have a newborn and her buggy is needed for her as she is too small for highchairs AND seats, i was just wondering if people knew of this practise in restaurants other than those mentioned.

This thread is about buggies in Restaurants. How kids behave is a different subject. For example child worshipping and spolit kids etc. Kids in pubs I
    meant thats not even a restaurant!

The vast majoity of people can bring a buggy (however bulky they all fit through a door) and not block anybody. Its only a small minority, like anything else in life.

actually the thread is about restaurants and a particular hotel who wont allow buggies in for health and safety reasons, despite them being big enough to park a buggy next to table AND have plenty of room for others to walk by,

i have to say some peoples opinions have shocked me, might i also add i have a newborn and her buggy is needed for her as she is too small for highchairs AND seats, i was just wondering if people knew of this practise in restaurants other than those mentioned.

Which hotel is it out of curiosity? Are guests staying there allowed bring their kids to the restaraunt there in a buggy I wonder.

And is it an all day thing also? I have no problem with children in buggies not being allowed in restaraunts after 6/7 pm for example or all day if there isn't room.
    Same goes for large pubs during the week which serve food by the way. No reason not to bring kids along and any I have gone to in Cork have been most welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You sound like a very wise parent Ludo.

I was in Starbucks a month ago. I was sitting on a couch which was backed on to another couch (ie. the couches were back to back). My sister was sitting opposite me. A father had a three year old child sitting on the couch behind me but standing up on the couch with his hands on the back of the couch, jumping practically over it, his little face right beside me. The father could actually see it was annoying me and did nothing.......until eventually.......he says to the little fella "careful you don't hurt yourself son". Nothing about stop being bold and annoying that person trying to enjoy their coffee!!!!!! I left. Some people think their children have the right to do what they want.

I have no problem with babies and children who are not crying and are sitting still and behaving themself. Otherwise I beseech you please do not bring your bold children to restaurants where they ruin it for everyone else.

amdublin wrote: »

That I most certainly am not :)
    I am just trying to get by and learn the ropes like everyone elso.

amdublin wrote: »

I was in Starbucks a month ago. I was sitting on a couch which was backed on to another couch (ie. the couches were back to back). My sister was sitting opposite me. A father had a three year old child sitting on the couch behind me but standing up on the couch with his hands on the back of the couch, jumping practically over it, his little face right beside me. The father could actually see it was annoying me and did nothing.......until eventually.......he says to the little fella "careful you don't hurt yourself son". Nothing about stop being bold and annoying that person trying to enjoy their coffee!!!!!! I left. Some people think their children have the right to do what they want.

I have no problem with babies and children who are not crying and are sitting still and behaving themself. Otherwise I beseech you please do not bring your bold children to restaurants where they ruin it for everyone else.

Not even bothering with the buggy stories now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

BostonB wrote: »
    Not even bothering with the buggy stories now.

I think people are expressing how frustrated they are by the bother that some children are causing them! They should realise that it is actually the parents that are the problem. The little ones don't know any better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I think it's common sense. ( on both sides )

If a restaurant/Cafe is small , and a lot of them are what we do is fold the buggy up and put it somewhere un obtrusive .
    We have on occasion left it outside.

In my mother's day , we would have been left outside shops/cafe's asleep in our pram , but I think if you did this nowadays you would have people phoning the police or something :) .

If there is enough space and the little one is asleep in there , then I see no problem parking it next to the table .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I think it's common sense. ( on both sides )

If a restaurant/Cafe is small , and a lot of them are what we do is fold the buggy up and put it somewhere un obtrusive .
    We have on occasion left it outside.

In my mother's day , we would have been left outside shops/cafe's asleep in our pram , but I think if you did this nowadays you would have people phoning the police or something :) .

If there is enough space and the little one is asleep in there , then I see no problem parking it next to the table .

All very valid and sensible suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Sadly many parents act like alot of people when they use shopping trolleys,
    - they think they have right of way no matter what
    - they think they can fit through small spaces
    - they think its indestructible

The unfortunately thingis there's a kid in a buggy so they can endanger someone elses life by acting the muppet

Some people also use their cars like this :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Good point, newborns are just too small for highchairs & can't support themselves sitting anyway so a buggy is needed.
    People should also remember how important is is for new moms, especially first time moms, to get out into the real world for an hour for a bit of adult company rather than spending all day at home with a new baby and perhaps increasing the risk of postnatal depression.

Even with toddlers if you miss their nap time, it can put out their routine for a few days. So if they are asleep at the right time, in the buggy they ain't moving.

Anyway this really isn't about buggies. Its the same thing as people parking where there isn't space and putting everyone else out. So then all parking is banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, coming on to to a parenting forum and winding up parents is bound to end in tears.

As a parent, I think I'm fair-minded, and I don't mind non-parents complaining about selfish or bad parenting at all.

What gets my goat is being lectured about the logistics of childcare from a lofty, non-parental perspective. For example, reading sarky comments like use your eyes when the discussion is worrying about losing a toddler in public.

On the current issue, I can see both sides: I think buggies are cumbersome. I try to avoid a lot of places when I have my infant with me as he can't yet fully grasp the concept of appropriate behaviour, but it would be nice sometimes to live in a country where children were a little more cherished, and the public actions of infants didn't always elicit an eyes-to-heaven response as if the child was somehow supposed to know how to express tiredness, hunger or anger within adult boundaries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement