Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time courses in Pulse+Sound training centre!

Options
  • 23-07-2009 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Was looking in to doing some courses in Sound Training Centre, ie.. Dj +Music Production,
    and sepretely Electronic Music Production. Im aware of what they teach inside the course but would like to be certain that there worth while and the instructors/teachers are any use,the whole lot is 2000grand!
    Anyone done these courses?
    Please let me know,cheers cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

If you're looking for it purely just to gain knowledge then Id recommend it, if you're doing it looking to pursue a career in it then Id avoid it like the plague. I know of only 4 or 5 people who've come from pulse, temple bar or ballyfermot music courses who've got jobs out of it because of their qualification, thats out dozens if not hundreds of people Ive met over the past 12 years in the irish music scene who have done the courses and now work in other areas (or dont work at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 greyhoundgrey

Tnks for reply,
    Was goin for it for djin purposes mainly Ableton,Reason,Logic etc...
    Plus some advanced djin techniques,
    I hear you on the sound engineering saturation front!! Big Time.
    Its a ****load of cash,gona bite the bullet though.

A few years ago I put 2 or 3 hours aside to do the Ableton Live tutorials included with the package. In fairness I already knew Cubase and Pro Tools inside out but even still Ableton has its own interface which is quite unlike any other. Anyway point being after 2 or 3 hours I knew how the program worked and a few weeks of using it afterwards I could confidently say I knew Ableton inside out too. Its still my sequencer of choice to this day but I really dont think its justifiable to spend 2g's learning it. For that money you could buy an amazing tutorial package and some seriously high end vst instruments and be on the road to composing anything you can imagine. Its a great thing to learn but theres definately more practical ways of learning it.

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/abletonlive/order.htm

3 dvds covering all aspects of the program with examples and projects for you to work on, 85 dollars. Leaving the bulk of your money for a seriously high end pc to run it all, and a shed load of vsti's. If your heart is set on the course then dont pay any attention to me, I just hate to see people wasting money unnecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 greyhoundgrey

In the back of my mind i did think 2g could not be justified!
    Its not what you/who you know here i suppose.
    That link is gone be very helpfull for me though,i just needed an outside opinion of the courses.
    Do you give any lessons or are you out of the game?

• Advertisement

Im certainly not out of the game, Im branching out more into video these days but I still write and record everything for my own band. Yep I could give lessons depending on what kinda timeframe you're looking at. What kinda level are you at currently? What kind of experience do you have? Even from a beginners level I wouldnt say you'd need much in the way of lessons, possibly 8 - 10 maximum and you'd have all you need to progress on your own from there, and I certainly wouldnt be charging anything near 2 g's for it ;) Tell you what drop me a pm if you're interested and we can suss it out from there.

Advertisement