Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential Punishment for not Producing NCT and Possible Ways Around It

• 23-07-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I know there have been a few threads like this posted from time to time but I'm just a bit anxious as I seem to have heard some talk of things becoming stricter on this issue.

I met a Garda Checkpoint on the 1st of May where the fact that my NCT was out of date was noticed by the Guard. He asked me to produce an NCT Cert to the Garda Station within 10 days. I was in the middle of my Final Exams in University at the time and so didn't produce the cert and to be honest I more or less forgot about it.

I got two Summons in the post this morning, one for not having the Cert on the day and one for failing to produce it within ten days as asked. The Summons are for September and the date on which my car is due to be tested for the NCT is early November.

What are the best and worst case scenarios for me punishment wise if I end up in court and is there anyway I can avoid it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How much was the NCT out by to start with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    How much was the NCT out by to start with?

A long time, something over a year I think without having the information immediately on hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'd say you'll be looking at a min 500 euro fine the only way to get around it is if ya had only bought the car, you done well to get away for the year with it but its gonna cost ya know.

The only suggestion id make is ring the NCT and get on the cancellation list it involves sittin down at the NCT center for most off the day hoping someone doesnt turn up then get the cert produce it in the garda station.

Contact the garda that summoned you explain the situation he might strike it out if your lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be looking at a min 500 euro fine the only way to get around it is if ya had only bought the car, you done well to get away for the year with it but its gonna cost ya know.

Do you know of anywhere that lists the potential fines for this offense?
    The only suggestion id make is ring the NCT and get on the cancellation list it involves sittin down at the NCT center for most off the day hoping someone doesnt turn up then get the cert produce it in the garda station.

Do you think getting the test carried out before the date of the Summons would be likely to decrease the potential fine yeah?
    Contact the garda that summoned you explain the situation he might strike it out if your lucky

Any idea how I would go about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Im a student an in a smiliar situation my nct was due for two months after my old one expired, i got a cancellation which was about 20 days after i was stopped. Brought this down to the guard and explained that this was the first available date i could get due to the back log in the system, he said that was fine and he would sort it out, i went in too court last week just to make sure and it was struck out at the request off the guard.

Just get on top off it as quick as ya can and be really apologetic to the guard if thats not good enough go to court and explain to the judge your situation most off the time there dealing with speeding and more serious crimes chances are if ya can convince him off a genuine mistake and you tried your best to rectify it he might either let you away with or give you a very small fine.

The main thing is be proactive if the judge thinks you dont give a toss you may bring your cheque book!

• Advertisement
Advertisement