Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Illness Scheme

Options
  • 23-07-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 4 months ago and i am looking for some information on the Long Term Illness scheme. Apologies if this has been covered before but i looked through the first pages and couldnt find anything relevant.

Until my first hospital appointment last week i hadnt heard of the Long Term Illness scheme. Neither my doctor nor the paharmacy mentioned this to me. I have have been paying for my medication myself since i was diagnosed. Its a couple of hundred euro at this stage. Now that i have my LTI book is it possible for me to claim this money back from the HSE?

Secondly, the LTI book says that i have to get my doctor to fill in my prescription on the LTI book. I already have a prescription from my doctor for the meds i need. I also have a prescription from the hospital for the glucose test strips and lancets i need. Can i just staple these prescriptions into my book or do i need to go back to my doctor and the hospital and get them to write it into the book itself?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If you have the prescription claim forms, go to your chemist along with your LTI book, and hopefully the chemist will then claim the cost back on your behalf, and refund you the money.

If that doesn't work, get in touch with the HSE or your diabetic nurse if you have one.

Also, I would complain to the doctor about the fact that he didn't help you with an essential part of managing this condition, and ask him to help you reclaim the money if you need it.

It could be messy getting this sorted out with the pharmacists refusing to claim medications under the LTI scheme in a week. But you'll have it sorted eventually I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

As To Be Confirmed said, head back to the Pharmacy and see if they'll sort it out for you. It drives me nuts when doctors don't pass on this information to their patients. I only knew about it because I've had a family member on LTI for years and I worked in a pharmacy. I just stick my prescription into the inside cover of the book and hand that into the pharmacy, when I got it back somebody had stapled it in for me but it's usually pretty irrelevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Beano wrote: »
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 4 months ago and i am looking for some information on the Long Term Illness scheme. Apologies if this has been covered before but i looked through the first pages and couldnt find anything relevant.

Until my first hospital appointment last week i hadnt heard of the Long Term Illness scheme. Neither my doctor nor the paharmacy mentioned this to me. I have have been paying for my medication myself since i was diagnosed. Its a couple of hundred euro at this stage. Now that i have my LTI book is it possible for me to claim this money back from the HSE?

Secondly, the LTI book says that i have to get my doctor to fill in my prescription on the LTI book. I already have a prescription from my doctor for the meds i need. I also have a prescription from the hospital for the glucose test strips and lancets i need. Can i just staple these prescriptions into my book or do i need to go back to my doctor and the hospital and get them to write it into the book itself?

Any help greatly appreciated.

It certainly should have been mentioned to you. I always query it if I see diabetic medication on a 'Private' prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

It certainly should have been mentioned to you. I always query it if I see diabetic medication on a 'Private' prescription.

Thanks to everybody for the information so far.

The first pharmacist i went to the guy was a young australian guy and didnt seem to know much beyond the science part of the job. None of the others mentioned it as well.

I've been to three different pharmacists so far and dont fancy going back to each of them individually to try and get a refund from each of them. Does anybody have contact details for whoever administer the LTI scheme in the Dublin area? I'm probably better off going back to them directly but i cant find a name or number for them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Here's a list of the Local Health Offices, that deals with Long Term Illness stuff. Contact your local one and see what they say.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/Find_a_Service/Local_Health_Offices/HSE_Local_Health_Offices.html

Edit: I've just checked the 1970 Health Act, and it appears that there's a legal basis anyway for the HSE to compensate you in some way for the medicines you've paid for up to now. Section 59, part 2. So contact the HSE, and hopefully they'll sort you out somehow.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1970/en/act/pub/0001/sec0059.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement