Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle licence for land owner

Options
  • 23-07-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I am landowner with 40 acres. Do I need to be a member of a club to get .22 rimfire rifle? I note on the firearms application it only refers to shotgun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I am landowner with 40 acres. Do I need to be a member of a club to get .22 rimfire rifle? I note on the firearms application it only refers to shotgun.
    You should be able to get .22 for vermin if you are a farmer,not too sure on that but if you phone your local garda who deals with such things he will put you straight.
    I do know that there are many farmers who use .223 calibre rifles for foxes so a .22 for rats,crows,magpies etc should not be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

It depends entirely on the guard dealing with the application.
    Last year a friend of mine applied for a shotgun licence to shoot on his own land of which he has plenty including his own island and he was told to get permission from two other farmers .
    He got the permissions and had the licence back in two weeks so maybe you would save time by getting a couple of permissions from neighbours or friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

If you are a farmer, is there a gunclub in your area???
    If so they might grant you free membership if you alow them to shoot your land.
    if so problem solved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 thomasmoore

Yes i am a farmer. There are no gun clubs in the area i live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scoogles

Where I am I needed three permissions from land owners for both the shotgun and the rifle licences (applications made at different times). Apparently you can only get a shotgun 'limited' licence if using only your own land, with the intention of shhoting vermin. My uncle has one but he can only shoot on his own land but cannot go shooting game with us because his licence is 'limited'. Best thing you could do is get two other land owners permission with you and head to the garda station.

Or join a gun club, I did, nice to rub shoulders with like minded people and theres a good bit of guidance to be got in various aspects of shooting pursuits, clays/vermin/game. Worth looking into. Even if you do have to travel a bit. Our club was dormant for a few years and not alot of people knew there was one in the area. It was kept going by a few stubborn devils but now its thriving again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Scoogles wrote: »
    Apparently you can only get a shotgun 'limited' licence if using only your own land, with the intention of shhoting vermin. QUOTE]

The limited licence has got the chop I think all licences will now be €80 for 3 years afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scoogles

Em, must look into that, thanks foxhunter, hadn't read up on the new act, the olde uncle might get out with us after all. I trust the application procedure won't change radically though.

Advertisement