Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice to Text Service invades Privacy

• 23-07-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

(Please move if wrong forum)

I'd not sign up for Voice to text. The person leaving you voice mail may say something very private.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/23/spinvox_bye/
    The Artificial Intelligence claims were exaggerated, of course, but the BBC should pause for a moment before patting itself on the back. Spinvox's business prospects remain rather better than those of Twitter, Spotify, or any revenue-free Web 2.0 company - since Spinvox has real customers paying real money. Critically examining the claims of these "new media" wonders is something the BBC hasn't been particularly good at - partly because it has so many "new media" evangelists and disciples of its own, whose own prospects are heavily tied to these fictions being maintained.
    The worst kept secret in the mobile industry is out: disgruntled Spinvox call centre staff have been telling the BBC that they're not actually robots, or even highly advanced man-machine cyborg hybrids. But this is a surprise only to the gullible, or people who have never used Spinvox.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8163511.stm
    Spinvox, a UK firm that turns mobile messages into text, faces questions over its privacy standards and finances.

Really, since I have NO IDEA what message someone might leave (it could even be a fake or joke that sounds criminal), I don't want 3rd parties listening to my Voice Mail, EVER.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

It's a bit sad really - this company claimed to have software that could do this voice>text recognition, but they don't really...

IF I used voicemail (I don't - when people used leave me messages, it put the onus on me to call them back - I much prefer thinking that if there call is important enough they'll ring later, or just text...) I wouldn't have any privacy concerns - I have nothing to hide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ah but you don't know what a caller might say (which of course during the court case after you are arrested for paedophilla/Terrorism/Drugs/Spying is proven to be be a lie, you hope) that could incriminate you. Texts and emails are much more likely to be intercepted by GCHQ or others...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/29/spinvox_mechanical_turk/

If they are done by Humans, isn't the Call Centre likely to Squeal if they hear a plot to blow up the Houses Of Parliament or Whitehouse.

They won't know your mate has a sick sense of humour. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Advertisement