Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Setup

• 23-07-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I have an Eircom Netopia wireless router in one part of my house and I have cat5 cable running from it it another part of the house where I have a Belkin wireless router.
    When I conect through the belkin router the internet is as good as gone using both the wifi and a cable to connect to it yet if I take the cat5 cable and plug it in to the computer it fine.
    Do I need to seup the belkin router to work with the netopia?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What do you mean as good as gone. It's either gone or not! Unless you have a signal strength problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

cork45 wrote: »
    I have an Eircom Netopia wireless router in one part of my house and I have cat5 cable running from it it another part of the house where I have a Belkin wireless router.
    When I conect through the belkin router the internet is as good as gone using both the wifi and a cable to connect to it yet if I take the cat5 cable and plug it in to the computer it fine.
    Do I need to seup the belkin router to work with the netopia?
    You need to set the Belkin to DHCP Automatic and turn the firewall off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Well only some pages load after a very long time and my download speed goes from around 6.1 to .31

Well only some pages load after a very long time and my download speed goes from around 6.1 to .31
    Because both the Netopia and the Belkin have an active firewall working.

There only seems to be an on or off setting in the belkin for dhcp,it's set to on, will I just leave it that way?

• Advertisement

There only seems to be an on or off setting in the belkin for dhcp,it's set to on, will I just leave it that way?
    Not the Belkin's DHCP itself, the Connection Type. There should be four:

PPPoE
    PPPoA
    Static IP
    Dynamic IP

You want to set it to be on Dynamic IP. Apologies for not stating that earlier, it's the same as DHCP (just recieving the IP, not sending it - that's the setting you just found).

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Not the Belkin's DHCP itself, the Connection Type. There should be four:

PPPoE
    PPPoA
    Static IP
    Dynamic IP

You want to set it to be on Dynamic IP. Apologies for not stating that earlier, it's the same as DHCP (just recieving the IP, not sending it - that's the setting you just found).

Ah sweet that seems to be working a treat, Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

What about this..

Can we not treat the Belkin like a switch/hub? i.e. give it a static address and turn off the firewall on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You can do that alright - you're effectively treating it as a wireless access point rather than a wireless router. That's what I'd do-it would greatly simplify things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yep that's what I'd do as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement