Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Popping noise, 2002 Golf 1.4

• 23-07-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know there has been a hell of a lot of Golf treads lately, but anyway..

Had my car since Feb and it was sitting idle for a while before i bought it, not long maybe a month.
    Anyway, when i turn to full lock either left or right 9/10 you i hear a popping noise. Like a spring that was stuck just getting released or something.

I took it to a mechanic back in Feb and he said it was propable just the shocks or something just releasing and they were propably a bit stiff from sitting idle and it should go away.

However its still there, i was told at the start by someone that it could be something along the lines of the power steering belt being too tight iirc.
    They heard a similar noise in a Colt before, just before it snapped and they lost steering and went over a roundabout...

Anyone any ideas what it could possibly be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭alo1587

Does it happen when you're moving or when you're stopped? If its when you're moving it could be a cv joint,if its when you're stopped it could be a seized top mount or the spring is unseated on the shock platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

To be honest i dont think ive ever hit full lock when im moving so i dont know if it does it then. The only time i hear it is when turning to park, if im rolling back into a space and full lock while doing so it will pop, also if i am stoped and full lock it will pop aswell.
    So releastically i suppose it makes the noise while moving and while stoped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭alo1587

greenfly wrote: »
    To be honest i dont think ive ever hit full lock when im moving so i dont know if it does it then. The only time i hear it is when turning to park, if im rolling back into a space and full lock while doing so it will pop, also if i am stoped and full lock it will pop aswell.
    So releastically i suppose it makes the noise while moving and while stoped

Defo sounds like a seized suspension top mount,although it could be a seized bottom balljoint too.Either way its not too dangerous,but get it checked out for peace of mind anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Nice one, thanks man.
    Any idea on a ball park figure of the cost of repair of either/both?

Advertisement