Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vermin shooting and gun clubs

Options
  • 23-07-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Just looking for some info here.
    I have a shotgun and a .22 rifle for which i use for vermin.
    The problem is the land I used is now a shopping centre and I find myself with nowhere to shoot.
    I have tried a few gunclubs to see would they allow me to to shoot vermin only but cannot get membership, they do not want people outside their respective parishes.
    I dont know any farmers either so am now stuck for somewhere to shoot.
    This might affect the licence now as the new cjb in in place.
    Anyone in the same boat as me?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

guns4fun wrote: »
    Just looking for some info here.
    I have a shotgun and a .22 rifle for which i use for vermin.
    The problem is the land I used is now a shopping centre and I find myself with nowhere to shoot.
    I have tried a few gunclubs to see would they allow me to to shoot vermin only but cannot get membership, they do not want people outside their respective parishes.
    I dont know any farmers either so am now stuck for somewhere to shoot.
    This might affect the licence now as the new cjb in in place.
    Anyone in the same boat as me?????

Its time to go knocking on doors!-I do it all the time and im in 3 clubs and shoot deer on quite a few permissions and have been shooting well over thirty years.Its amazing how many permissions youll get if you approach people, after all they can only say no :D-so get out without the gun and shooting attire and youll probably sort your problem out quicker than you think and no matter how negative the lansdowner is have manners!-its amazing how many times i met a landowner that blew off steam and on my way to the car they changed their minds;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Agree 100per cent wit foxshooter. Its amazing how many farmers want your services. Most iv asked were delighted and ended up telling other farmers. Its nice to be nice to them too. I do sometimes drop in to tell them im goin out. Iv met crabby ones like FS too (very few in fairness). I think its a test to see are ya cheeky ha. Nice to be nice and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

Thanks for that,should put on the walking shoes and try that.
    You would think that gunclubs would be happy to allow people shoot vermin on their shoots.
    Maybe it's a trust thing,,am I going to pop a magpie or one of the clubs pheasants....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I think some of it people joinin and doing nothin just using the club for insurance and land to shoot. A lot of clubs are very family and friend members sort of thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

guns4fun wrote: »
    Thanks for that,should put on the walking shoes and try that.
    You would think that gunclubs would be happy to allow people shoot vermin on their shoots.
    Maybe it's a trust thing,,am I going to pop a magpie or one of the clubs pheasants....

Its hard to get your head wrapped around gun club thinking, I moved house once and remained in the club that I was originally in and still am, I was living in my new area for ten years when I was approached by a gun club memeber and asked if i would like to join the club-so always eager to expand my range I said sure-The lad said "aye,your in the town ten years now so your eligible":D-I knew their attitude to newcomers and didnt bother asking I just gathered up my own permissions and they came looking for me-Ive yet to figure out the thinking.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Most local gun clubs are built up of family such as brothers, fathers/sons and neighbours. The club I was in most members lived within a mile of one and other and covered roughly 32Sq miles.
    Club rules stated that once a person was from the area they could not be refused membership, but new members were on a years probation. The farmers got a list every year of club members and their addresses.

What i would say to you is get to know your local club and let them see that you are interested in helping out, you don't have to take part in shooting during the season if it is vermin you are just after but club activities should be done by all members, it adds a bit of fun and banter and keeps fellas form falling out with the "well i don't shoot pheasants so why should I help so why should i do that". Don't get me wrong not saying that is your approach just i have seen it split clubs. Our club was divided with those who rough shot and those who were into clays, but once pheasant chick and ducks arrived all members chipped in sorting out pens and feeders.

We had 2 or 3 guys over a few years who always came to help out and if we were stuck during a clay shoot or driven shoot would could always be counted on, so when they did look to join there was no qualms about letting them become members.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Have to say my Club was like that once, happy to say we are more welcoming now. But I still feel the NARGC need to start changing local gun clubs habits.
    Without the new members in our club over the last five year I can tell you nothing would have been done.

As for permission even as a member of a gun club your not gurenteed land. We state to all members unless you have ask the landowner personally for permission we as a club do not provide it.

Stated with two farms shooting and trapping vermin, now have access to over 40 farms. My advice start with the sheep farmers when you want to shoot vermin.

Advertisement