Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Phone + Sky BOX + PhoneWatch + ATA

• 23-07-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Now I know this subject has been kicked around quite a bit on this forum. However there is never a clear answer to this. Therefore:

1. If I have UPC phone with an ATA adapter will I be able to connect up my phone watch monitoring

2. Will I need and ATA for the Sky Box.

Please do not comment on the merits of UPC V SKY V Eircom

If anyone actually knows the answers great especially if they have actually done this.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you need the UPC modem with built in phone socket for Sky, separate ATA and VOIP provider isn't good enough.

If you have only one Sky box and have it more than a year or no subscription or unsubsidized you do not need to connect Sky to phone line.

If it's eircom phonewatch it will only work on an eircom line or on phonewatch supplied GSM modem. I really don't want to go into the details, but this is definately the case in the past.

Your UPC cable modem should have built in ATA and one or two RJ11 sockets for ordinary phone. They may even supply a DECT hanset and base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you take UPCs own branded phone service, then you can hook your house extension up to the combined cablemodem/ATA so that all phones will ring as they at present. Your sky box will also be able to remain connected as is, and can dial home fine.

PhoneWatch isn't compatible though, or at least neither UPC or Eircom will guarantee nor support it as VoIP isn't 100% reliable with data type calls, plus the phone service will also go down if your mains power goes down or the TV cable is snipped. Not very secure! As Watty says, you're better off getting the GSM digidialler wired into the phonewatch system, this way PhoneWatch will monitor via the mobile phone networks instead, so the alarm no longer relies on the phoneline and phone service being up and running for communication.

Advertisement