Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyed Red hair

• 23-07-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm booked into teh hairdressers this eveing to get my hair dyed a really funky red colour but I'm a little nervous:/

I went for a consultation last week and the guy said because I have green eyes and pale skin he thinks it'll look great.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this hair colour with pale skin and in general? I'm just worried I'll look awful!

Also is it damaging to your hair, moreso then say going blonde or brown?

I know this sounds really vain and sorry if it does I guess it's a big change and I'm a bit appreshensive...half tempted to call it off but then I think f*ck it, sure it's only hair and it'll grow out..

Anyone have this done professionally? How long did it last and was your hiar in bits, brittle, dry etc?

Thansk guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

Beetlebum wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm booked into teh hairdressers this eveing to get my hair dyed a really funky red colour but I'm a little nervous:/

I went for a consultation last week and the guy said because I have green eyes and pale skin he thinks it'll look great.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this hair colour with pale skin and in general? I'm just worried I'll look awful!

Also is it damaging to your hair, moreso then say going blonde or brown?

I know this sounds really vain and sorry if it does I guess it's a big change and I'm a bit appreshensive...half tempted to call it off but then I think f*ck it, sure it's only hair and it'll grow out..

Anyone have this done professionally? How long did it last and was your hiar in bits, brittle, dry etc?

Thansk guys

Everyone is going red these days, its a funcky colour go for it!! I got bleached blonde highlights in my hair and so regreted

it so happy i am back to my dark brown now but i really damaged my hair :( think hard about dying your hair

because you have to keep redoing it and it ruins the hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Love love love red hair! Not pinky/red though, red red! It does fade quite quickly but I've got this powerball thing from the hairdressers which is supposed to help it keep it's vibrancy! I can't imagine it's any more damaging than any other colour - I always presumed blonde was the most damaging. Go for it - as you said, hair grows if you don't like it!!!

[Is a dyed red head myself so opinions above may be biased!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Love love love red hair! Not pinky/red though, red red! It does fade quite quickly but I've got this powerball thing from the hairdressers which is supposed to help it keep it's vibrancy! I can't imagine it's any more damaging than any other colour - I always presumed blonde was the most damaging. Go for it - as you said, hair grows if you don't like it!!!

[Is a dyed red head myself so opinions above may be biased!]

I love it on other girls too...anytime I see a girl whith this hair colour it turns my head! I'm getting excited now...I'll be running out the door at 5pm!!

My hiar isn't in great condition though, did it damage your hair much?
    I have redken deep fuel protein at home and l'oreal expert conditioning mask so that should help if it's dry.

I don't mind spening money on products to ma ke my hair look healthy. No point having a cool colour with dry frizzball hair that needs to be tied back!!

Is your soft, healthy?

Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I love red tones in hair, I went from highlighted blonde to red chocolate brown a few months ago and loved it. The important thing to remember is that while it's hard to keep red hair vibrant, it's also one of the most difficult tones to remove from hair, eg if you go from red to brown (as I did) there may still be some tones of red left. Red dye permeates the hair shaft to a greater extent than peroxide for blonde etc.

Use a specific colour shampoo for redheads and an intensive conditioner once a week. To protect further against damage and fade look for products which seal the hair cuticle and add shine.

To be honest, I don't fuss too much with conditioning products for my hair and yeah it's soft and healthy. It's quite thick so I don't know if that helps or not. You'll love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

To be honest, I don't fuss too much with conditioning products for my hair and yeah it's soft and healthy. It's quite thick so I don't know if that helps or not. You'll love it :D

Thanks for all replies...all excited now...bring it on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

I've had this done, I think it's really nice and with green eyes, wow.

How dry your hair will be afters depends on how much bleach is needed. Mine needs a buckload so is very straw-like for a few days but after that is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It will look FAB on you!!

I've being getting my hair dyed red for about 6 months now (I've pale skin and blue eyes) and I think I look way better than with my natural brown hair colour. I get lots of compliments since from males and females. :)

As with any coloured hair, get a good leave in conditioner and a few treatments for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

That should look lovely on you. I hear it fades quite quickly though. You can prob buy your own dyes to keep it up I'd say!

Funnily enough since I posted that earlier, I did a DIY job myself and am not black! RIP gruaig dearg!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

When I had red hair I did it myself on the cheap, bleached out my hair with the loreal bleaching kit, then put in Loreal récital preference in Incandescant Pure Red, then to give it a really glossy shine I used to put directions poppy red over it. Found this the best way to keep the hair glossy without all the harsh chemicals, because the directions is a semi dye, used to leave it in my hair for at least 4 hours. Also used to add a bit of the directions to my conditoner just to keep the colour brightish.
    Not the best of pics of it, hair was a mish mash of pink, brown and red at that stage......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/save_our_socks/redshine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭claireloopy

When I had red hair I did it myself on the cheap, bleached out my hair with the loreal bleaching kit, then put in Loreal récital preference in Incandescant Pure Red, then to give it a really glossy shine I used to put directions poppy red over it. Found this the best way to keep the hair glossy without all the harsh chemicals, because the directions is a semi dye, used to leave it in my hair for at least 4 hours. Also used to add a bit of the directions to my conditoner just to keep the colour brightish.
    Not the best of pics of it, hair was a mish mash of pink, brown and red at that stage......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/save_our_socks/redshine.jpg

Where do you get the loreal bleaching kit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Where do you get the loreal bleaching kit?

I used to get it in roches stores back in the day.....have seen the less powerful one (think theres like 3 or 4 strengths in the collection from highlights to maximum blonde) in boots from time to time and the odd chemist, but no one seems to stock it....cant fathom why, found it was better and less damaging than the Jerome Russell one!

http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/hair-colour/all-over-color/perfect-blonde.aspx used to use the maximum one but found the prelightener grand when I first started out, doesnt tend to lift pinks/reds as good though.

Advertisement