Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another puppy question......

Options
  • 23-07-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

Some of you might already know we are bringing a new puppy home on Saturday. She had vaccs at 2 weeks and will have further 8 week old ones tomorrow.

Now we have a 15 year old bitch at home who ive just noticed hasn't had a booster since 2006.....

Not sure if at this stage in her life if a booster will be good for her....she is 15 and while she isn't frail i dont want to risk her health by giving her a vaccine, however we need to think of the new puppy - what is the risk to her if any?

Any advice greatly appreciated as always!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I dont think a booster vaccine will do her any harm..unless of course she gets stressed going to the vets.Stress and old age is not a good thing. I believe boosters dont have to be an annual thing (dont shoot me) and every 3 years or so is fine. Animals will have a certain level of antibody protection for a long long time, if not for life in some cases and they dont magically disappear exactly after one year.

Id get her done though if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Some boosters do need to be an annual thing, like lepto as its a very serious thing to get and is often fatal if caught.

With your old bitch, im not sure if she would def the boosters, but as annie said the stress on her might be bit much, how fit and healthy is she? If shes fit then i wouldnt see the harm in getting her done, but maybe check with your vet first and see what they say.

Advertisement