Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sampling in Logic

Options
  • 23-07-2009 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hi, very new to dance music production and looking for some help. I'm currently using Reason 4 and want to start using the NNXT. I have some songs in mind that I would like to sample but I cannot use Reason to get the samples (I think - may be wrong).

I also have Logic Express for Mac but have not used it at all yet (plan was to get to grips with Reason then conquer Logic). Someone said to me that Logic can be used to chop up songs and get samples.

Couple of questions:
    1) Is this true?
    2) Does Logic Express have the same features
    3) Is Logic a good programme for doing this or are the better ones
    4) Anyone know of any tutorials on doing this in Logic?

Thanks for any help given. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Someone said to me that Logic can be used to chop up songs and get samples.

Couple of questions:
    1) Is this true?
    2) Does Logic Express have the same features
    3) Is Logic a good programme for doing this or are the better ones
    4) Anyone know of any tutorials on doing this in Logic?

1.Yup - personally.. I will sometimes load a loop or whatever & use the scissors in Logic to snip what i want out of it. If i need to go a bit more indepth, I'll export it & do any fine editing in Audacity. Scissors are cool as they will let you chop the loop up into 16th's / 32's or whatever. Watch out for clicking noises.. thats why you nearly always have to do some tidying / fading afterwards.

2. Exact same :)

3. Works perfectly well. It'll do exactly what you want & you wont need to spend any more money. Try to use what you have. You can DL Audacity for free. I like using Logic 1st, to get an idea of what i'm doing, as you can move the sample around the grid. You can quickly add in new parts of a loop etc.. move them around / reverse them / copy & paste and mute them.

4. Maybe start here Mate - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sampling+in+logic&search_type=&aq=f

A good idea is to clone any much of the audio that you are going to repeat in the main arrange page. It saves on the load & keeps things tidier.

Alt/Shift & Drag the region you want.

Be careful not to change the original part, or everything else will be altered.

If you are going to reverse / pitch up etc.. the original part - make a copy & rename it. You'll find it much easier to keep track of what you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Sweet. Thanks ICN. I should have youtubed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Sweet. Thanks ICN. I should have youtubed it.

No probs Man! Enjoy! :D

Advertisement