Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing a Cheque - Is this for real??????????

Options
  • 23-07-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Quick Query.

Went to cash a BOI cheque in a BOI branch as you might do. They refused to cash the cheque and said it had to be lodged to an account.

The reason being was that the cheque had the name of the branch where it is from originally actually printed on it.

I was told that in order to get cash, I would have to travel half way across the country to that branch???????????

Is this for real?

Is there any way this can be cashed without having to travel back to original branch?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep, the branch will only cash a cheque if it was issue by that branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You used to be able to lodge it into your post office account and then withdraw the cash, not sure if that still works.

You either have to go to the issuing bank or wait for the cheque to clear in your own account. It's normal.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depending on your account, you may be able to draw the cheque before it clears in your account.

Each branch can only cash it's own cheques, for security reasons. They have to check the signature on the cheque is genuine, this is because cheque fraud is rampant and they have to protect the customer.

There is no way the cheque can be cashed without it being done at the account holding branch. Unless another branch has special authorisation to cash another branch cheques for a specific account, usually a business. Is it a personal or business cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

been there done that. 5 days it took me to cash a cheque once as they had to send it off down the country to the issuing bank... Halifax (who I am with now) always cash my cheques and credit my account immediately. They reserve the right to take the money back if the cheque bounces of course, but at least its instant access to the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Thanks guys! That's a bummer.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm actually able to cash cheques in a pub and a shop. But I live in a small village where everyone knows me so it's handy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why not lodge it? It will show up in your account within no time, at which point you can use an ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why not lodge it? It will show up in your account within no time, at which point you can use an ATM?

Using cheques is moronic. Those who use them would be too moronic to do that

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Using cheques is moronic. Those who use them would be too moronic to do that

veryangryman, please read the charter in relation to posts which insult other users. In particular, this bit:
    People often do not agree as a group with regards to a lot of things. This is fine, if you want to disagree with someone and argue the opposite side in an intelligent and coherent manner, then go right ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

You used to be able to lodge it into your post office account and then withdraw the cash, not sure if that still works.

I lodged a cheque to my post office account recently and was told 12 days is now the clearance time :eek: It seems to me that the more modern things get, the more retrograde the service :mad:

• Advertisement

Post office takes longer to clear, because they're not actually a bank in their own right.

See my old post here for more info on the cheque clearing time frame. Some building societies, credit unions, and post office take longer to clear cheques. The longest I'd heard previously was 7 days. 12 is a bit much alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Toots* wrote: »
    Each branch can only cash it's own cheques, for security reasons. They have to check the signature on the cheque is genuine, this is because cheque fraud is rampant and they have to protect the customer.

There is no way the cheque can be cashed without it being done at the account holding branch. Unless another branch has special authorisation to cash another branch cheques for a specific account, usually a business. Is it a personal or business cheque?

What about a cheque from the tax office? Can I cash that in any Bank of Ireland branch?

Revenue cheques are crossed so they have to be lodged into an account unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Toots* wrote: »
    Revenue cheques are crossed so they have to be lodged into an account unfortunately.

ah balls!

Thanks.

Advertisement