Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time Lapse?

• 23-07-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Was over in Sligo with Darren G there at the weekend, and with a lot of help from Hugh C I had an immensely enjoyable mess around with my new intervalometer (26 euro from Ebay :D ). Some very preliminary trial results are at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHU5lcufe0

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LndrDuyHsiU

Just wondering if anyone here does it much? I'm now addicted :) And if so - any tips? I'm already thinking of investing in an ND filter so I can get longer exposure shots for projects with people in them - to make the finished products more fluid.

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

Still have not got around to trying it (I own two ricoh cameras which are good for timelapse).
    Your one is very impressive.
    I have found this site :
    http://www.setvak.cz/timelapse/timelapse.html
    is very good on tips for timelapse photography (in case you have not found it already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

what is the time delay between shots ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Good work. Well done. You're on the right track with the ND filter too. When you 'drag' the shot you lose some detail, but you gain a smoother transition from frame to frame. Giving a more polished end result. After that its just a case of using your imagination in regards to subjects. Keep in mind the lenght you want the end product to be. If you compress too much time into too short a space you can lose the interesting things that happen.
    What app did you use to create the video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hi sinead, cool time lapse. I know a few people who do these and i'm telling you for them they have found it extremely addictive. btw could you pm me the link for the intravolometer please :)

Anyways back to the point. You should head over to the vimeo website if you havent already and check out some of the deadly timelapse video's i have seen over there. They are deadly and will give you some good ideas for your own work. Hope that helps out a little.:) Love the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

@Sineadw
    They are really good but seem really jerky. Either i think slowing it down slightly might help the transitions between images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Here's the latest one I've finished. Average of about 3 shots a day for a few months I think, not as interesting as I'd hoped it would be though!

Youtube kept cutting off the last two seconds of it originally so I decided to reverse it, a bit stupid I know but whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

what is the time delay between shots ?

The bundoran one is 5 seconds and the castle one is ten
    trooney wrote: »
    What app did you use to create the video?

I used LR to process, then exported them all and used a nifty little app called PhotoLapse :) Twas deadly and dead simple :)
    Crispin wrote: »
    @Sineadw
    They are really good but seem really jerky. Either i think slowing it down slightly might help the transitions between images

Hmmm.. jerky how? You mean the transition between frames or the movement of objects? If you mean the movement of objects then the slower shutter speed should help (already priced ND filters at 40 quid for a set of 4, 6 and 8 :D ) but if you mean between frames, they're shot at 25 fps and should look fluid?

Thanks for the links all - will go looking now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergusmcnally/3180214753/
    Did this a few months ago must do it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Few months ago did some videos on the M50
    http://vimeo.com/2429632 x16 speed
    http://vimeo.com/2419498 x8 speed

used virtualdub, have a time lapse setting on one of my compact cameras, must try it out the photograph type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Really interesting thread with some cool videos.. Something I really want to try soon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I still have the fla file for my timelaps file if anyone wants it so they can create their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

steve06 wrote: »
    I still have the fla file for my timelaps file if anyone wants it so they can create their own.

The wha now?

The wha now?

That's what I was thinking.. You used Flash? Seems like a lot of trouble to go to?

@dodgy - loved yours :) I was thinking of doing that on the way back from Sligo but then I got a bloody flu thing. How many shots did that take? And if you can remember - what interval/shutter speed?

Still have to look at all the other stuff. Vimeo doesn't like my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The wha now?
    the source file for the flash movie, you just import the photos and it's done...
    sineadw wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking.. You used Flash? Seems like a lot of trouble to go to?
    No, because there's a small tween between each photo, once the file was set up then it's easy, batch export your photos and import to flash and done!

Ah I see - the mouse movement thing - cool idea :) Did you place each frame individually or did you import a pre-made video and then put a script on that? Wouldn't mind a look at the fla. I'll pm you my email addy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 thomasmoore

Check out this guy's work: http://www.vimeo.com/4827796

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Yeah that guy is in a different league, his rig moves while he shoots.

Can't remember if I've posted this here before or not, apologies for the duplication if I have. Can't figure out how to embed flickr vids :rolleyes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughchal/2465719745/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Folks,

Dont know if I'm posting in the right place but I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding Time lapse video. I've just returned from holidays and I accidentally recorded all my video footage of my kids in time lapse mode. Is there any way I can convert the time lapse video back to standard video( albeit without the sound)???

I used a Canon Ixus 80 if thats any help.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Check out this guy's work: http://www.vimeo.com/4827796

That's a friend of mine! He's got some class stuff alright over the years. Funny seeing him pop up here :)

Superfin wrote: »
    Folks,

Dont know if I'm posting in the right place but I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding Time lapse video. I've just returned from holidays and I accidentally recorded all my video footage of my kids in time lapse mode. Is there any way I can convert the time lapse video back to standard video( albeit without the sound)???

I used a Canon Ixus 80 if thats any help.

Thanks

What interval did you use? I'm guessing it'd be a no if there's too much of an interval :(

• Advertisement

That's a friend of mine! He's got some class stuff alright over the years. Funny seeing him pop up here :)

That's some brilliant stuff! You don't know what he uses for a rig by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 thomasmoore

No idea what his rig is.

Latest one - made yesterday at Concern's Stop Child Labour Kitefest. I was enjoying myself so much I forgot to set the exposure and WB to manual :rolleyes: I think it turned out ok though considering (horribly compressed on youtube though!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OvG_MT6-A

Oh I'm having fun with these :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Hey Sinead, would you be able to link me to a place selling the intervalometer you have? Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Excellent. Thanks!

Bought the one for my little 350... :D Can't wait to get it now - got a few ideas bouncing about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Sinead 'Kite flying' is excellent. matched with the song, You nailed it...

More Pleeeze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

This is my effort http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakboy/3676694282/ no funky music to go with it.
    Taken with a pentax optio compact which has a great feature to allow you do time lapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Spotted this on youtube while looking at the stuff above and liked it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNxjwt2AqY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

the source file for the flash movie, you just import the photos and it's done...
    !

yes please...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

So guys all i need to these are a camera with a time lapse feature (unfortunatly my Casio Exilm doesnt have this option) and then ic an use that TimeLApse program to out it into a video. They look great and i have some great ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

So guys all i need to these are a camera with a time lapse feature (unfortunatly my Casio Exilm doesnt have this option) and then ic an use that TimeLApse program to out it into a video. They look great and i have some great ideas.

You don't need a camera with a time lapse feature. You can do the same thing by taking a photo every X amount of seconds. I tried this in the car one day while driving for three hours. I'd say it will turn out ok (Don't try this unless you have a death wish OR are really bored ;-) ) I'd advise getting a Timer Remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I was browsing a feature on a home made fish eye lens for budget digitals. A link from that feature led me on to timelapse taken with a Canon G9.

http://www.diyphotography.net/how-to-create-time-lapse-movies-with-lots-of-open-source-software

I spotted the following in the comments.

Beware killing your shutter

If you're using a digital still camera to capture frames for time lapse, keep in mind that these things have a much shorter per-frame lifespan than a traditional video camera. For example, the Canon xxD-series DSLRs have shutters rated for about 100,000 frames or less, before you have to send them in for repair (at your expense). At 25 frames per second on a time lapse movie, this is just over an hour's worth of time-lapse output. Looking at it another way, if you used your Canon 40D to "film" an event that generated a 2-minute time lapse, you just chewed up 3% of your shutter's lifespan.

I wasn't able to dig up any shutter life data on the point-and-shoots. I suspect they're probably longer, due to the simpler mechanical action involved - but they're also likely not "built as tough" as their DSLR bigger brothers.

I would suggest that if your real-time event is going to be 2-3 hours or less, it would be a much better idea to shoot the thing in video, then use your favorite video editor (e.g. Windows Movie Maker, which is free) to speed the playback up the appropriate percent. Even if you have to swap tapes in the camcorder a couple times, you don't really notice this in the time-lapse playback, especially if you set a timer during the real-time event, so you can be ready to swap tapes quickly.

I've done time lapse both ways, and the workflow doing it via video was smoother for me.

If your real-time event is something much longer - flowers growing, building construction, etc. then obviously you're in the realm of the traditional camera - in addition to an external power source with UPS protection and a good intervalometer.

Doesn't sound too good for a higher end camera.

I suppose you could also put a video in moviemaker and speed it up a lot if you wanted the easy option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 TomCullen

Hey guys, Love this thread... all of you that are into time lapse should check out Ross Ching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

TomCullen wrote: »
    Hey guys, Love this thread... all of you that are into time lapse should check out Ross Ching.

That video is beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Tallon wrote: »
    That video is beautiful

yeah i agree, even how the scenes changed is in time to the music

Thats amazing.

Does anyone know any software apart from quicktime pro that will create image sequences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

windows movie maker perhaps.

• Advertisement

well i have Sony vegas so i can import each photo and shorting the frame rate, which is wat Windows Movie Maker can do... but u have to do it one by one... Quicktim automaticaly does it ( provided the image names are in sequence )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

if they are in sequence then just grab a bunch of them from windows explorer and drop them in. Its quite basic but ok for slide shows and the like. I'd imagine it being able to do time lapse stuff reasonably ok. It's not the most elaborate software for this stuff so perhaps your sony gear or quicktime would be better

Ye, quicktime works fine.. but for sum reason i keep getting random black frames in the exported clip. any idea y?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

I made this a few months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eprbBXz83CI

I used my laptop with Nikon Camera Control Pro as an intervalometer and software called videomach to put it all together. This is a good solution if you can set up somewhere where you can leave a laptop all day. I also recommend using ND filters during the day to get longer shutter speeds - this definitely made a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

fairly poor in comparison to most the stuff posted here, but here's my attempt anyway. shot a few months back in Cornwall. Think it was one shot every 8 seconds spread over a few hours. used my laptop and canons own software to control my camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8a3phC9ozM&fmt=22

Does anyone know any software apart from quicktime pro that will create image sequences?

Photolapse - freeware and it works great... And then I use movie maker (although I just got Adobe Premiere...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Just found this over at Darragh's blog. Its a class stop frame animation

I want to do stop frame I want to do stop frame I want to do stop frame!! My poor Danbo has had no adventures at all :( And I even have him modelled in 3D max to help with setting up the frames ..

Maybe the other Danbos will rescue him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had been thinking for a while that I should pick up one of these intervalometer, so I've narrowed it down to the two choices below and wondering if you folk can tell me if picking one over the other makes any difference:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Timer-Remote-Cord-for-Pentax-ist-K10D-K100D-K20D-K200D_W0QQitemZ220438157001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item33532356c9

I've dealt with this seller before and haven't had any problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Timer-Remote-Shutter-For-Pentax-K100D-K10D-K200D-K20D_W0QQitemZ110454409180QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Camcorder_Remotes?hash=item19b79887dc

Looking up timer remotes this model seems to be the most common on eBay.

So folks, would either one work just as well as the other or does it make no difference.

Advertisement